21st Century Witch-Hunt

redrumloa

Reaction score
191918-dystopian-1984-camera.jpg

BLINK 182 DRUMMER ACCUSED OF USING HATEFUL SLUR 18 YEARS AGO ON MTV, EXCEPT HE NEVER DID

Over the weekend, four randos on Twitter complained about Dave Chappelle telling jokes, and it made the entertainment trades. In my foolish naivety, I assumed that would be the dumbest "cancel culture" story this week. Nope! That award goes to Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker. An eighteen-year-old MTV clip. And either the n-word or the f-word. The haters aren't even sure which.

So, Travis married a Kardashian. I don't care which one. On a Kardashian stan Reddit, someone posted this clip from MTV's Punk'd. It was a show hosted by Ashton Kutcher where they would play pranks on celebrities. Barker was out for dinner with his first wife, when a "waiter" was being really rude.

According to The Sun, Reddit can't decide if Barker says "sand n*****" or "f*****," and if Barker was being -ist or -phobic. What they can decide is that it's time to throw the "Travis Barker is over" party.

"Hella trash."

"Ummm he just married a half-Armenian woman?! I guess this is two sides of the prejudice coin: hate the men, fetishize the women."

"The more I hear about him the worse it gets. I was all for Kravis in the beginning of their relationship and thought he was a good guy. Now seeing him be completely racist I really think it was last nail in the coffin for me, Travis is such a gross person."

Here's the rub, he didn't say either. He said "f*cking assh*le." The nontroversey became so stupid, Ahmed Ahmed, the actor who played the waiter, spoke out and said Barker was chill once he found out he was being punk'd.

"If you're out there on the internet trolling people and trying to cancel them when you don't have accurate information, make sure you do your research. If you watch that clip [...] they bleeped out his words and they and they blurred his mouth so you can't even hear what he's articulating, and you can't even see what he's mouthing. So, for somebody to try to speculate that he's using racial and homophobic slurs, it's just plain wrong."

LOL. Wait for facts? Do research? Where's the fun in that? It's more entertaining to make someone come out and apologize because when he cursed eighteen years ago, and it was censored, he had no idea that in eighteen years, people would think he said someone else. But he is enlightened and is going to use this opportunity to grow as a person. Also, here is a check to place an advocacy group here.

This is dumb. Reddit is dumb. Canceling people over two decades old clips is dumb.

but but but... Facts don't matter, it's how someone feels that matters.

Back