About that Marvel Comics X-men Pro-Jihad issue...

redrumloa

Reaction score
I mentioned this somewhat in jest in another thread, but it should have a thread. Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've heard that a Muslim artist for Marvel sneaked anti-Christian and antisemitic messages into "X-Men Gold Issue #1".

Marvel’s Latest X-Men Comic Features Coded Anti-Semitic, Anti-Christian References

Marvel Comics has been battling low sales of its comics, and much of it may do with writers baking political correctness into their narratives, and also retiring established characters for new, more “diverse” faces. But now one of its artists, Ardian Syaf, has been revealed to have hidden anti-Semitic and anti-Christian messages in the pages of the newly released first issue of X-Men Gold.

The far left direct political leanings of Marvel have been documented here on and off for some time. But it really is nothing new. Growing up in the 70s and 80s it was there, but it was more subtle. By the time the 90s rolled around I was an adult forming political opinions, around the same time Marvel just started ramping up their political tone. That combined with the greed of comic makers ramping up turned me off comics completely. What they've been doing in recent years is complete hyper-drive of left-wing politics. I'm surprised they don't give this guy an award for what he did actually.

Citing the Koran, the Islamists invoked verse QS 5:51, which basically states that Muslims are forbidden from allying with Jews and Christians, much less led by a non-Muslim. The verse reads:

“O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are, in fact, allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you – then indeed, he is one of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.”

Referring to the verse, Ahok says that his political opponents are citing the Koran to deceive his supporters. For saying so, Ahok was accused of criticizing the Koran and now faces charges of blasphemy. He has since apologized for his statement, but to little avail as widespread protests broke out in the nation’s capital demanding his arrest and incarceration.

The largest of the protests occurred on December 2, 2016—which has become known as “212” (the day and month). The Marvel artist referenced the number in one of the comic panels, prominently displaying it on a storefront. The same panel also includes a portion of the word “Jewelry,” presumably a reference to Jews.

A character in the crowd (who has his fist clenched and a disapproving snarl on his face) can be seen wearing a shirt with the number “51” on it as he listens to a speech by Kitty Pryde who talks about being the new leader of the X-Men. She is of Jewish descent.

kitty-pryde-ardian-syaf-marvel.jpg

Oh, now I get it. They decided to pander to one group in this issue, and he pandered to another group. Whatever. Either way, they sure stepped in it this time. The outrage built to the point they had to speak out.

Marvel Comics Responds to X-Men Gold Art Controversy

Marvel released a statement to ComicBook.com to address the controversial artwork, confirming the references were included without their knowledge and will be removed from future printings. See the company's full statement below:

The mentioned artwork in X-Men Gold #1 was inserted without knowledge behind its reported meanings. These implied references do not reflect the views of the writer, editors or anyone else at Marvel and are in direct opposition of the inclusiveness of Marvel Comics and what the X-Men have stood for since their creation. This artwork will be removed from subsequent printings, digital versions, and trade paperbacks and disciplinary action is being taken.

It looks like Marvel is bowing to pressure and this artist is being disciplined. He's gone public admitting saying his career is over and included a sorry, not sorry apology.

‘My career is over’ says X-Men artist, admitting to hiding religious messaging

X-Men Gold #1 is being heavily promoted by Marvel as a resurgence of its long-running mutant franchise. The full breakdown of each hidden reference and what they mean can be read here.

“My career is over now,” Syaf wrote. “It's the consequence what I did, and I take it. Please no more mockery, debate, no more hate. I hope all in peace. In this last chance, I want to tell you the true meaning of the numbers, 212 and QS 5:51. It is number of JUSTICE. It is number of LOVE. My love to Holy Qur'an ... my love to the last prophet, the Messenger ... my love to ALLAH, The One God.

“My apologize for all the noise. Good bye, May God bless you all. I love all of you.”

Syaf’s actions upset many within Marvel’s creative family, including G. Willow Wilson, best known for writing Ms. Marvel. Wilson, who is also Muslim, tweeted angrily about Syaf after hearing the news. She later published her more in-depth thoughts on the translation of the Koranic verses he referenced on her personal blog.

Anyhow, as expected these are becoming a hot commodity on eBay. When the news first started breaking a few days they were flying off the virtual shelf at or near cover price. Now a couple days in, those prices are now going between about $18-$34 or so shipped depending on the seller. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE. That's for the standard cover. Nowadays there are always a number of variants for each issue, some worth more and some worth less for some reason, even though all variants are lower volume. If you are lucky your local store may have a good stock left. You may want to pick some up as an investment, or a quick flip on eBay. For a quick flip, you could quickly triple cover price on eBay.

If you have a larger independent

redrumloa

Reaction score
Wow, this ass-hole just blamed Jewish people for him getting fired! :smh:

Marvel Comics Artist Ardian Syaf Blames Offended Jews for Getting Him Fired

Shamed Marvel Comics artist Ardian Syaf has blamed oversensitive Jewish people for getting him fired, claiming “when Jews are offended, there is no forgiveness”.

Syaf lost his job following reports that he inserted anti-Semitic and anti-Christian references into the first issue of the publication’s latest X-Men comic.

But the artist has remained unapologetic over his dismissal. In an interview with Indonesian newspaper Jawa Pos, the Jakarta-based artist blamed the Jews for his predicament.

“But, Marvel is owned by Disney. When Jews are offended, there is no forgiveness,” he said in Indonesian [translated by Heat Street].

Marvel made it's own bed, now they must lay it in. ..and it gets worse.

Some critics say that his attempts to whitewash the references are a performance of taqiyya, or dissimulation, which states that one is permitted to conceal or disguise beliefs to non-Muslims under duress.

Further sleuthing by Reddit users prompted the discovery of a now-deleted Facebook post by Syaf, who was photographed with Rizieq Shihab, the leader of the Islamist organization Islamic Defenders Front (known by the acronym FPI).

The group has been involved in numerous acts of violence against non-Muslims in Indonesia, and was one of the organizers of the 212 protest. In the post, Syaf says he accepted an invitation to meet with the group’s founder.

ardian-syaf-protest-fpi-leader.png

"Diversity"