archive.whyzzat.com is up and running...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Good morning guys,

As part of the transition to SocialEngine, the archive site, archive.whyzzat.com is up and running.

It's running in "shadow mode", meaning it's essentially a live copy of the site you're now using, and it's using the same database and tables. All changes and posts are reflected in both places simultaneously.

SocialEngine was purchased last night and is sitting on my hard drive waiting on either Friday night or Saturday for the install. I need to pick a starting theme (which is surprisingly proving to be difficult) and pick up a couple of plug-ins that we'll need (like the third-party anti-spam and honeypot plugins) but it shouldn't be long now if I can resist.

You might want to go to the new site, log in and make sure it's working for you before I get started carving this turkey...

Otherwise, if you're interested, go here, take a look through the available themes, and let me know if you see one that appeals to you.

http://www.socialengine.com/customize/se4/themes

The ones that currently appeal to me are;

http://www.socialengine.com/customize/se4/mod-page?mod_id=693 - because it's clean AND responsive.

http://www.socialengine.com/customize/se4/mod-page?mod_id=220 - for a strictly FB theme

and

http://www.socialengine.com/customize/se4/mod-page?mod_id=1320 because of the clean and readable experience.

In each case -- as in this site -- those would not be the final look and feel, only the rock upon which to build my church (proverbially speaking).

Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? Complaints? Pitchforks and hanging nooses?

Wayne

checking....working... (logged into archive site)

Last edited:
I like the third theme (#1320 in the link)

Thanks C. That's my favorite of the three, but it seemed maybe a bit stuffy for Whyzzat?

Wayne

The Integrity theme (theme 3) was just purchased. Now, I need the Advanced Activity Feeds plugin, and the Anti-spam/honeypot plugins and we should be ready to go...

.... Then I started wondering whether or not I should have put this up on DailyGrinch.com because I've already built a decent presence/branding there... :)

Anyone want to take a shot at a new logo to kinda go along with this style?

http://setweaks.com/products-page/socialengine-themes/integrity-theme/

I'm sitting here excited to get started, and simultaneously terrified of the idea that I'm going to run you guys off rather than to help by providing a better system...

Bright side? Video blogging and updates... :)

The new color palette by the way...

Whyzzat Colors.png

I'm sitting here excited to get started, and simultaneously terrified of the idea that I'm going to run you guys off rather than to help by providing a better system...

Bright side? Video blogging and updates... :)
I don't think anyone's running off......

Run? Well, maybe not run. But I'm not sure I'll figure out how to use it. So many of these newer sites look like magazine pages to me and I'm never sure how to interact with them. Someone got me a facebook account once (just for travel, under an alias) but I never figured out how to use it for anything - it was like an old school adventure game only I never figured out how to get past the hollow tree - I heard there was a whole world out there but never cracked the clue that let me find it.

How does video blogging differ from embedding youtube, btw? I was thinking it would be nice to start a few video blogging threads here but in all honesty I find that videos take way more effort than just typing and I'm not sure how many people have the dedication. Mind you, I'm a grumpy old man so don't mind me. I just think that the web forum is already a perfected art but people are moving away from discussing things and more towards talking about themselves and that seems to be what new platforms pander to. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the new software brings.

Run? Well, maybe not run. But I'm not sure I'll figure out how to use it. So many of these newer sites look like magazine pages to me and I'm never sure how to interact with them.

Well, it's a lot like FB or Twitter, and people like "talking about themselves" or "sharing" information. This simply provides a way to do so (as well as to share news and other links) without having to worry about FB/Twitter/Google data mining you or stealing your information.

How does video blogging differ from embedding youtube, btw? I was thinking it would be nice to start a few video blogging threads here but in all honesty I find that videos take way more effort than just typing and I'm not sure how many people have the dedication.
I haven't tried it yet, but there's a Videos module, and a "Blog" module. Everyone gets access to both, so I imagine it's a matter of recording something, clicking upload, and filling out a few fields to slap it online. Again, haven't fully tried it out yet, so not 100% sure, but it would be more fun for me to post a site update via video as opposed to text, even if it's more work. Think of it like the long-lost "WayneCam" that was on Amiga.org several years ago.. :)

Mind you, I'm a grumpy old man so don't mind me. I just think that the web forum is already a perfected art but people are moving away from discussing things and more towards talking about themselves and that seems to be what new platforms pander to. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the new software brings.
I get that (the grumpy old man thing) but it's funny. Lee Stanford (ltstanfo) here resisted Facebook for neigh on a decade but finally gave in and -- after irritating all his friends by being scared of it for the first month or so -- now uses it more than I do... :)

If I configure it correctly, the site is supposed to allow for both incoming, and outgoing data to, and from the various sites. Post on Whyzzat, have that post sent to FB/Twitter/G+ automagically, and vice-versa.

Again, I've run "forums" for about 20 years now and no matter what I want to do, I've been there, done that with forums. On the other hand, I've wanted -- for about a decade now -- software that would allow me to set up my own little "mini facebook" for each little hobby niche.

Imagine what might have happened if the Amiga community had such a site years ago -- rather than a forum -- that allowed them to select which friends/people saw their stuff, then set up "friends" ("circles" for Cecilia) where they could actually be sociable rather than sitting in a forum bitching and arguing about semantics. Imagine a world where ignoring someone who bothers you (or a troll) is as simple as a mouse click...

Will SocialEngine (the software) be any different? Damned if I know, but if it is, I might be able to adapt it to various niche hobby sites and have actual -- honest-to-{insert deity here} -- fun online again.. :)

Wayne

Last edited:
Imagine what might have happened if the Amiga community had such a site years ago --
They could have all lived in even more rarefied bubbles? Being able to surround yourself with yes-men and avoid contrary opinions is the antithesis of the internet to me - but then I'm sure you've already got my drift and I am clearly not in the majority - and I'm fine with that. As I said, I am clearly suffering from old-man-itis and will have to content myself with shaking my head from my rocker on the porch at the incurious yung-uns as they pass by (with my only true moments of enjoyment coming from unloading a 12 gauge of rock salt into the britches of any hoodlum who sullies the sanctity of my lawn).

(dagnabbit)

They could have all lived in even more rarefied bubbles? Being able to surround yourself with yes-men and avoid contrary opinions is the antithesis of the internet to me - but then I'm sure you've already got my drift and I am clearly not in the majority - and I'm fine with that.
Cynical, but perhaps true. The alternative viewpoint would simply be that they might be happier if they weren't continually confronted, beaten down, and discouraged by trolls and naysayers.

Remember when I was unceremoniously booted from whatever-the-hell-little-committee that was years ago because I dared to stand my ground over the idea of building an Intel-based Amiga? Same concept.

For me, it's the constant confrontation and hatred from those who demanded we change our viewpoints that pretty much killed the fun for me...

As I said, I am clearly suffering from old-man-itis and will have to content myself with shaking my head from my rocker on the porch at the incurious yung-uns as they pass by (with my only true moments of enjoyment coming from unloading a 12 gauge of rock salt into the britches of any hoodlum who sullies the sanctity of my lawn).(dagnabbit)
I understand the hesitation to embrace the now. Especially as I get older. I'm just hoping to find a way to inject some fun back into being online. Otherwise, I'm pretty much out of hobbies right now... At least until I can afford to buy the motorcycle I want by paying cash (I'm done with owing people money)...

Wayne

Otherwise, I'm pretty much out of hobbies right now...
Well, there's always gardening or bird watching. If worst comes to worst there's always extreme camping (aka homelessness, but let's look on the bright side).

Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas? Complaints? Pitchforks and hanging nooses?

Just one: Excuse my bluntness, but I am quite turned off by any website that asks me to sign up for an account before I even have a chance to find out whether it features any content that is even remotely interesting to me.

Just one: Excuse my bluntness, but I am quite turned off by any website that asks me to sign up for an account before I even have a chance to find out whether it features any content that is even remotely interesting to me.
Look again, and please be a little more patient?

I spent pretty much 8 hours in front of the computer last night doing the base install. Barely making to bed, I fell asleep at about 2am, knowing that the front page was pretty much borked for people who hadn't logged in. Now, I'm up at 5am and figured out where the option is/was to fix that.

The short of it is, I'm still working on stuff, but if you're not willing to give me the chance, I'm not quite sure where we go from here. Forgive the bluntness of my reply, but again, 2.5 hours sleep.

Wayne

Look again, and please be a little more patient?
I looked again. While everything looks different, I am still being asked to sign up and log in before I can see any user-generated content. It might be helpful if you could provide a timeline so I know when to look and when I should not.

The short of it is, I'm still working on stuff, but if you're not willing to give me the chance, I'm not quite sure where we go from here. Forgive the bluntness of my reply, but again, 2.5 hours sleep.
If I had not been not willing to give you a chance, I would not have looked at the website in the first place.

I am one of those people who does not use Facebook because of privacy concerns. So, one might say I am part of your new website´s key demographic. However, since I do care about privacy, my web browsers are generally set up to delete all cookies and other data every time I quit my browser, which I do fairly frequently unlike many other people.

As you might imagine, being required to log in over and over again just to find out if somebody posted a link to a funny cat video is rather annoying.

It's fine sir, your option. I'm still in the middle of writing the privacy policy, but you KNOW that I'm not data mining or tracking you, and the software (socialengine) comes with dozens of options that you can use to decide what you do and don't share.

There isn't even a real name policy. Even though it asks for first and last name, all you need to do is enter Jobbo as your first name and select the options to hide the rest..

It has a Remember me option for logging in, or you can use openID and create an account that way.. Any way you want it sir, and I'm trying, but I do understand if you still have concerns. Just not sure what else I could do to allay them.

Wayne

@JoBBo,

Just be aware of one thing please.

The initial thought behind going the route of SocialEngine (Social Networking in general) aside from boredom with forums was simply that I wanted to build a social network (a "facebook") where you aren't being watched or data mined at every turn...

The idea is to take what I learn there and build micro-communities around all my other hobbies as I discover them, from motorcycling to playing D&D.

Back