Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

More Daily Mash:

Brexiter’s excuses increasingly bollocks
07-07-16

A MAN’S excuses for problems clearly caused by Brexit are getting increasingly desperate.

‘Leave’ voter Martin Bishop has been struggling to convince people that all the bad things experts predicted were nonsense, due to them all starting to happen.

Bishop said: “The pound has plummeted but that’s excellent news for exports and tourism. Think what a boost it will be to those souvenir stalls selling teddy bears dressed as Beefeaters.

“Yes, shares have lost billions in value, but that makes it easier for ordinary people to own them. Everyone agrees with that, except maybe if you’ve lost half your life savings.

“And it’s probably just a coincidence that loads of racist attacks occurred at the most nationalistic moment in recent history since the Falklands.”

Colleague Donna Sheridan said: “Martin thinks everything supports Brexit. Today he said making it harder to travel in Europe would ‘rejuvenate classic holiday resorts like Clacton-on-Sea’.

“He also said racism helps unite us all against racism. I really need him to shut up.”

More Daily Mash:

Brexiter’s excuses increasingly bollocks

I know it's humour, but much of the crisis is likely manufactured, in a sense. The whole system is broken and has been limping along on flimsy propaganda and wishful thinking - with or without Brexit it was all going to end badly. Right now I'm sure there is a lot of money running around not knowing what to do with itself, but there are also alarmists trying to keep that money as nervous as possible by loudly talking about the end of the world. Has anyone announced that the real problem is that you haven't had enough austerity yet and everything will settle out if you tighten your belts just that little bit more?

Get on with getting out then get on with getting the Blairites out of the Labour party and fill it with allies of the working class, then get them in and break up the cartels (especially the financial ones).

oh - and put Blair in jail while you're at it.

This man looks waay too excited for someone whom's future is unclear:

image.jpg

unless he somehow managed to secure his personal future (TTIP/CETA lobby?)
And now he's gone?

Has anyone announced that the real problem is that you haven't had enough austerity yet and everything will settle out if you tighten your belts just that little bit more?

I'm sure it's in the post.

then get on with getting the Blairites out of the Labour party and fill it with allies of the working class, then get them in and break up the cartels (especially the financial ones).

oh - and put Blair in jail while you're at it.

Alas, I doubt any of that will come to pass.
There's a small chance that the Labour party might repair itself but even that's looking unlikely.

One of the reasons I considered voting to leave the EU was my concern over TTIP.
Opinion piece in today's guardian:
It was a fallacy that withdrawing from the EU would save us from the corporate power grab symbolised by TTIP. This week we’ve discovered that not only might another massive EU trade deal be imposed on us before we Brexit, but our whole trade strategy could be handed over to big finance, egged on by true believers in the free market within the Tory party.

---

But life gets scarier still. Newspapers and the airwaves are now filled by free-market fundamentalists who have waited decades to design a trade system unhindered by government: a true free market. If TTIP as a thing is close to death,TTIP as a way of thinking is alive and well and residing in England.
Why grow food when they can grow it for us more cheaply in Africa? Why keep all these consumer and environmental protections when they simply obstruct the functioning of the market? A bonfire of regulation and taxes can begin post-Brexit. It will be TTIP on steroids.

More than 3,000 hate crimes and incidents were reported to police from 16-30 June this year, a 42% increase on the same period in 2015, National Police Chiefs' Council figures show.

It comes amid reports of what David Cameron called "despicable" hate crimes after the EU referendum on 23 June.

At the peak on 25 June, 289 hate crimes and incidents were reported across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Don't know the Scottish figures yet but that's some amount of 'manufacturing', regardless.

One thing I heard recently is that there was not much coverage of the French protests leading up to the Brexit vote. Would that be a fair characterization or was I misinformed?

Except the EU is not the government. Not even close.
Except it appears that it is - if France is any indication, and it's decisions are handed down to local governments for rubber stamping. It is always the same way with these international agreements - just as with national governments, the little people have little to no say and it only gets worse as the governments get bigger. The United States of America was also a voluntary union but when the southern states wanted to leave (as they had a right to) the north went to war with them. The north dressed it up in the slavery issue like Bush and Blair dressed the Iraq war in WMDs but the federal government had no real right to slaughter the people of the southern states to stop them from keeping slaves.

One of the reasons I considered voting to leave the EU was my concern over TTIP.
Opinion piece in today's guardian:
Yeah. Sorry about the CETA thing. But this is the state of the world. The Canadian government has been integrated into the US empire and we get used to to these sorts of things.
I have written numerous letters (yes, letters, on paper, hand written in ink) to my Prime Minister and my Member of Parliament and never even received acknowledgement of receipt of them. The battled turned against the people quite badly about thirty years ago while the people were being given vague feel good speeches about "family" and "diversity" and international solidarity, we were all being sucked into a world governed by super-governmental treaties and arbitration processes owned by unelected business elites. Since most of these trade deals (perhaps all) were passed (if they were actually passed) despite the will of the people - Canadians were against NAFTA when the Mulroney government ratified it, and most people hadn't even heard of the FIPA deal with China when Harper unilaterally signed it without even bringing it to parliament - it would think that such agreements would not be binding - but how it works is the owners decide and the fact that we vote for the people who will rubber stamp the decisions of the leaders supposedly legitimizes the thing. Even when you vote for a party that seems to be against these things, they do them anyway.

Why, that really is a big increase in reporting.

Yes, whilst the 42% increase in *reporting* might not directly reflect an equal increase in *actual crimes*, such figures are routinely used to measure crime statistics and to cling to the idea that they are completely unrelated seems a bit straw-clutchy.

Bottom line; bigotry-driven crime in the UK has increased noticeably over the last few months, whichever way you slice it.
Even many of those pushing for Leave have acknowledged this. Those who still try to claim the bulk of this is manufactured look increasingly detached from reality.

So Andrea Leadsom drops out making way for Theresa May to be PM unopposed. Hows that for Democracy !

It's a Governmental Stitch Up. All the Brexiteers have been Wheedled out and only a "Remainian" is left but now using an "air of Justification".

Pandering to Big Business again. Same as always.

Cameron has just announced she will be PM by Wednesday night.

Bring on the next General Election.

Bring on the next General Election.

I tentatively agree with this but my main reservation is that the choice of potential candidates is as poor as it's been for a long time.
In over a quarter of a century of voting, I've yet to spoil a ballot paper but if there was an election tomorrow I'd be tempted to scrawl "everyone listed here is a cock".

It's a Governmental Stitch Up. All the Brexiteers have been Wheedled out...

Yet more Daily Mash:
Last pro-Brexit politician leaves Britain

waving-sunset-425x265.jpg

THE last politician who supported Britain leaving the EU has left Britain, it was confirmed today.

Andrea Leadsom, who told voters to take back control, has joined Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Michael Gove in heading for foreign countries that are a bit more politically stable.

Leadsom said: “As a mother, I cannot countenance bringing my children up on an isolated island riven by civil war, a collapsing monetary system and famine.

“We visited this once-proud country to give you the gift of freedom and now, like Michael Landon in Highway to Heaven, we must move on to other lands that need our help.

“The road ahead is long and arduous and only one-third of you will survive. But I shall cherish the fact that you validated my beliefs always, in my heart.

“Do write. Don’t ask for help.”

Well, like one of my favorite superheroes always said... "Actions have consequences..." (Fool Killer)

It must be a bitch to have to run for the hills because you're on the "winning" side...

Last edited:
Yes, whilst the 42% increase in *reporting* might not directly reflect an equal increase in *actual crimes*, such figures are routinely used to measure crime statistics and to cling to the idea that they are completely unrelated seems a bit straw-clutchy
I'm not saying I know what the rate actually is but I suspect that you can't say either. The number of reports only tells you what the number of reports is. It doesn't really tell you anything else.
Reporting can be trendy, in that, if everyone is talking about it then it's also more likely to be reported. There may be an increase in boldness of abusers (apparent media favourite to the exclusion of all else) but there could be increased defensive reporting - incidents that people would not otherwise consider reporting being reported because of a climate of fear, perhaps fostered by the media's incessant harping. There may also be a change in the quality of incidents which the *reporting* figure doesn't capture. Are milder incidents now being interpretted as more threatening or serious where they would previously have been dismissed as more of a nuisance? I don't know and I suspect most people don't know. However, the news isn't neutral.
Bottom line; bigotry-driven crime in the UK has increased noticeably over the last few months, whichever way you slice it.
Even many of those pushing for Leave have acknowledged this. Those who still try to claim the bulk of this is manufactured look increasingly detached from reality.
What is bigotry-driven crime and who is doing it? Also, what level of harassment of leave voters would rise to the threshold of being called a bigotry-related crime? (Leaving aside smears and libels which are not criminal matters - unless it pertains to a specific race, sexual identity or religious belief).

what level of harassment of leave voters would rise to the threshold of being called a bigotry-related crime? .

Screaming 'racist' in someone's face is - depending on circumstances - considered a crime and, when deliberately mis-applied to leave voters, is bigotry-related. I heard of this happening to a friend of a friend, although it won't be in those statistics because it happened in Scotland and I don't think they reported it anyway.
Putting leaflets through their letterboxes calling them xenophobic could also qualify.

Of course, shooting a leave voter dead because you think they are not in favour of immigration would certainly be a crime and quite possibly considered bigoted.

Some perhaps predictable fallout, from Ars Technica:
British researchers already being dropped from EU projects

British researchers are already being asked to "leave EU-funded projects or to step down from leadership roles," because they are considered a "financial liability" as a result of the looming Brexit.

The findings are the result of a confidential survey of the UK's top 24 universities

I say perhaps predictable because, whilst it was indeed predicted and stands to reason, there were, nonetheless reassuring voices telling us not to worry about science being affected.

Another Brexit article in today's Ars:
HP plans to bump up its UK prices up by 10 percent across the board due to the pound's volatility against the dollar in the weeks following the country's decision to leave the European Union.

It's the latest tech vendor to increase prices in the wake of the Brexit decision.

Dell was the first major IT firm out of the blocks to respond to the weak and uncertain pound, announcing a 10 percent increase of its own last week, after Sterling hit a 31-year low against the dollar.

Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus raised the prie of its OnePlus 3 handset from £309 to £329, or 6.5 percent, on July 11, blaming thin margins, while camera equipment importer Intro 2020 has promised to jack up its prices by 10 to 12 percent.

Lenovo and Cisco could be the next major players to follow suit, according to rumours, with the latter planning a hike as sharp as 14 percent. There's no official word from either firm as yet, however.

Outside the tech world, the Guardian is predicting dire news for the price of chocolate—cocoa is at the highest it's been on the London Stock Exchange for 40 years—while TravelSupermarket has said that the average European family holiday will now cost Brits an extra £245, following the pound's 10 percent drop against the Euro.

As before, all of this was predictable and I'm sure those Leave voters who were paying attention took it into account would have considered it a price worth paying.
As would I, had I been that way inclined.

Back