Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

Yessss!!!!
image.jpg

since I don't know these people, isn't the "new" PM anti-science?

And not the best time to try and get away from it all either:

Pound hits 31-year low against US dollar

OTOH, the FTSE is doing pretty well

The local stock exchange should go up when the currency goes down - that's just a function of your currency value going down in comparison to the currencies of the internationals that buy it.
As to the jobs forecast, if the pound is down, British labour will be cheaper to foreigners. I have to take a lot of what these forecasters say with a grain of salt. Thatcher was going to make up all rich, no-one saw 2008 coming, etc. etc.
European businesses who do business with Britain will keep doing it especially if it's cheaper now and the EU would have a tough time telling them to stop. They are already hurting with the limited sanctions they have been told by the US to put on Russia.

The local stock exchange should go up when the currency goes down - that's just a function of your currency value going down in comparison to the currencies of the internationals that buy it.

Yes, that's mentioned in the Guardian's feed, although they don't always mirror each other. For example, the FTSE is actually down today, even though the pound has also fallen further.

OTOH, the low pound has already had a tangible effect, including on my peer group and me personally. One of the reasons for my last holiday choice (August) was that I could use Sterling, which kept it affordable.
I was also planning a Christmas break but that's looking increasingly unlikely as the cost of foreign currency is making it prohibitively expensive to go anywhere that doesn't accept the UK pound and a winter holiday elsewhere in Blighty isn't particularly appealing.

Still, I'd be happy enough to endure these "first-world-problems" if I thought general quality of life would improve for the majority in the not too distant. Unfortunately the opposite looks more likely.

Whilst taking anything the banks say with a pinch of salt, HSBC strategist David Bloom's analogy raised a smile:

“The currency is now the de facto official opposition to the government’s policies.

“To us, the foreign exchange market is exhibiting an uncanny resemblance to the five stages of grief. First, following the Brexit vote came the denial – theories circulated whether a second referendum would have to take place. Second was anger – claims the vote was unfair. Third was the bargaining – arguments maybe it wouldn’t be that bad, what if the UK followed the Norwegian or Switzerland model. Now, the fourth – a gloom is prevailing over the pound.

And now he's gone?

And now he's back.

In one of those stories that you would struggle to make up, the new leader resigned after only 18 days and the favourite to replace her was hospitalised after being allegedly hooked by another UKIP MEP called, somewhat implausibly, Mike Hookem.

Mr. Hookem has previously appeared in the European parliament looking, again somewhat implausibly, like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

For a final dollop of irony, the UKIP leadership favourite that Mr. Hookem allegedly hooked, Steven Woolfe, is still being treated in hospital for free because he is an EU citizen
392BEEB100000578-3824837-image-a-28_1475787533969.jpg

So Farage has unresigned for the fourth time and is back in charge for now, even though noone is really sure what his party is for anymore.

Xenophobic or don't seek council from the competition? Or maybe that is the definition of xenophobic but is xenophobia always bad? There are degrees and some may be more xenocautious. A foreign national may have personal beliefs about whether Britain should stay that are more self serving than British serving. It's not an unreasonable supposition.

More xenophobia.
You can decide for yourself whether it's good xenophobia or bad xenophobia but I did find the original proposals somewhat creepy.

Rudd unveiled plans to force companies to reveal how many foreign staff they employ last week to a chorus of disapproval. She warned that foreign workers should not be able to “take the jobs that British people should do” and announced plans to make companies publish the proportion of “international staff on their books”.

But in an apparent U-turn on the policy, Greening told ITV’s Peston on Sunday: “This is not data that will be published. There will be absolutely no naming and shaming."

It comes after Steve Hilton, a former adviser to David Cameron, suggested that ministers might as well announce that “foreign workers will be tattooed with numbers on their forearms”. Writing in the Sunday Times, he condemned the policy as repugnant and divisive.

It's not often I agree with a scumbag like Steve Hilton.

This is perhaps a bit of an over reaction to Rudd's initial speech but nonetheless helps explain why some people found it a bit creepy:

This is perhaps a bit of an over reaction to Rudd's initial speech but nonetheless helps explain why some people found it a bit creepy:
So you're not a big fan of the concept of citizenship?

Retailers warn government of Brexit price rises
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37605642

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) has warned that using World Trade Organization (WTO) rules will mean higher prices in the shops.

In a letter to the trade secretary, the BRC warns reverting to WTO rules would see tariffs on clothes from Bangladesh of 12% and those on meat of up to 27%.

The letter follows a similar one last week headed by the CBI.

That warned losing barrier-free trade with Europe and defaulting to WTO rules would see widespread higher tariffs.

Other items singled out by the BRC include Chilean wine, where the BRC says tariffs would rise by 14%.

The BRC points out that as well as higher prices, some products, such as New Zealand lamb, are subject to EU import quota
s, so could become cheaper outside the EU.

But it stresses that overall prices would rise and shopkeepers would struggle to absorb those higher prices.

I wonder how the US presidential result will affect the strength of the dollar?

Back