Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

Robert

Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2016-10-13-at-10.02.04.png

-EDIT-
More seriously, and to be fair to Unilever (now there's something I never thought I'd write), a 10% increase in prices doesn't seem so crazy when you take into account the pound has lost almost 20% of it's value in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:

JoBBo

Reaction score
Aye, good luck wi' that:
The article misreported the actual poll results. The percentages you quoted referred to a question about whether Scotland should have another referendum before the UK leaves the EU.

When asked whether Scotland should be an independent country, 41 percent said yes, 48 percent no and 9 percent were undecided.

Source: Poll Results

Robert

Reaction score
The article misreported the actual poll results. The percentages you quoted referred to a question about whether Scotland should have another referendum before the UK leaves the EU.

When asked whether Scotland should be an independent country, 41 percent said yes, 48 percent no and 9 percent were undecided.

Source: Poll Results

Not sure I follow you.
Sturgeon wants to have the referendum before the UK leaves the EU.

JoBBo

Reaction score
Not sure I follow you.
Sturgeon wants to have the referendum before the UK leaves the EU.
Being opposed to the idea of a referendum taking place before anybody knows what the future relationship between the UK and EU will look like is not the same as being opposed to the idea of Scotland leaving the UK in general.

Robert

Reaction score
Being opposed to the idea of a referendum taking place before anybody knows what the future relationship between the UK and EU will look like is not the same as being opposed to the idea of Scotland leaving the UK in general.

I agree but don't see any material difference in the figures as the point I was trying to make with that quote was that her likelihood of success is even less now than it was before.

Even many of those in favour of Scottish independence (myself included) have little enthusiasm for another referendum before leaving the EU. Nonetheless, Nicola Sturgeon intends to hold said referendum before the UK leaves the EU. Current polls suggest this will not be received particularly well, and any such referendum is likely to result in another "No".

Having said all that, she doesn't really have any alternative and retains my grudging support for now.

JoBBo

Reaction score
I agree but don't see any material difference in the figures as the point I was trying to make with that quote was that her likelihood of success is even less now than it was before.
Actually, if you specifically look at YouGov´s poll numbers from 2013 and 2014, then 41 percent is actually a few points higher than the numbers they reported up to two months before the previous referendum.

Source: Referendum polls

JoBBo

Reaction score
But not 12 days before, when Yes was 2% ahead.
Yes. As I wrote, it turned roughly 2 months before the referendum. But if you scroll down further until 2012, you will see YouGov reporting numbers as low as 29% for the supporters of Scottish independence.

My point is that it is worthwile to look at YouGov´s history to better understand how to interpret this latest poll. In the context of what they reported until shortly before the referendum, 41 percent is not an exceptionally bad number at all. I would say it is quite decent even. If this was 12 days or even just a month before a new referendum, I would agree that 41 percent would be a concerning number but no new date for a potential future referendum has even been announced yet.

Robert

Reaction score
My point is that it is worthwile to look at YouGov´s history to better understand how to interpret this latest poll. In the context of what they reported until shortly before the referendum, 41 percent is not an exceptionally bad number at all. I would say it is quite decent even. If this was 12 days or even just a month before a new referendum, I would agree that 41 percent would be a concerning number but no new date for a potential future referendum has even been announced yet.

Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic. :D