Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

Robert

Reaction score
As far as I can see, the issue is one of the amount fished rather than who's doing the fishing. The UK sells licences to foreign fishing companies for access to UK fishing grounds, which could be just as easily sold to UK fishing companies or boats.

But they won't because it's easy money. None of this would have changed if we'd voted to remain, it has to be said.

Indeed. The expression "pig-in-a-poke" springs to mind.

As far as the Navy patrolling these waters goes... Err no. We've not had an effective capability to do that since the early 90s at least. Too many miles, not enough vessels. Of the warships we have, most don't work properly.

And that situation doesn't look like improving anytime soon.
Then again, we could always commission another aircraft carrier with no aircraft to go on it. ;)

the_leander

Reaction score
And that situation doesn't look like improving anytime soon.

Indeed, the reduction on the number frigates to replace what we currently have is deeply concerning.

Then again, we could always commission another aircraft carrier with no aircraft to go on it. ;)

By the time the two QE class carriers are in commission the aircraft will be available. :p

Now, how we plan on supplying the manpower to operate all this new gear is another matter. Currently there is a shortfall of >10,000 engineers alone in the RN.

Sure, the ships themselves will require a smaller crew than the Invincible class cruisers they're replacing, but they will require a much larger air arm support group, as well as increased seagoing protection from other major warships. This is before we get into the logistics of operating a battle group in terms of fuel (she'll need lots, less than the old audacious class, but significantly more than the invincibles did), arms, parts etc.

Fun fact, the rfa ships that were going to be operating with her are over 12 months late and rising. Without them, QE is going nowhere.

JoBBo

Reaction score
Since Robert has not posted it yet..
Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to seek second referendum

Ms Sturgeon said she wanted a vote to be held between the autumn of 2018 and the spring of the following year. That would coincide with the expected conclusion of the UK's Brexit negotiations. The Scottish first minister said the move was needed to protect Scottish interests in the wake of the UK voting to leave the EU.

redrumloa

Reaction score
I guess this is as good place as any to drop this.

Turkish minister tells Dutch: 'I am not a terrorist'

The Turkish foreign minister has demanded answers from the Dutch government over why they blocked him from visiting the Netherlands for a political rally at the weekend.
"Why this time am I a terrorist? Are the Turks living in this country terrorists?" asked Mevlut Cavusoglu in an interview Monday with CNN's Connect the World amid a row between the two countries.

I'm sure the US liberal media will somehow make this about Trump. Because, you know, racism, Mexico, white privilege or something.

Robert

Reaction score

Daily Mash:
Mel Gibson turning Scottish referendum into wildly inaccurate blockbuster

MEL Gibson is to make the next Scottish referendum into a thrilling but poorly researched action movie.

Tartan Fury will tell the story of Nicola Sturgeon, a simple shortbread farmer forced to take up arms against sadistic English dictator Theresa May.

Gibson said: “The film opens with English soldiers massacring the entire population of Edinburgh. That actually happened in 2012, but the BBC suppressed it.

“The story moves forward to 2017 and Sturgeon’s farm in the idyllic highlands of Ben Nevis, where her family is killed by RAF Tornadoes dropping napalm to destroy Scotland’s vital shortbread supplies.

“Vowing revenge, Sturgeon – played by Scarlett Johansson – forms an army and marches on London. May responds by dispatching her most ruthless and feared troops, the Territorial Army.

“The two sides meet at the London Eye, where Sturgeon leads her tartan-clad troops into battle with the rousing cry of ‘REFERENDUM!’. Then there’s loads of fighting that goes on for ages.

“The Scots are facing defeat, but suddenly the Loch Ness Monster jumps out of the Thames and routs the English troops before incinerating Theresa May with its fiery breath.”

He added: “Some might say this is an unrealistic depiction of the referendum, but I feel my version is more artistically true than actual facts. May’s in the shit either way.”

Robert

Reaction score

Theresa May has formally rejected Nicola Sturgeon’s timetable for a second independence referendum, saying "now is not the time".

The Prime Minister ruled out Ms Sturgeon's demand for another vote between autumn 2018 and spring 2019, saying that it would be "unfair" on Scots to vote then as it would be too early to pass judgement on Brexit.

Probably slightly better news for independence supporters than unionists.

Robert

Reaction score
17155976_1417849411607460_8873923066521466840_n.jpg

JoBBo

Reaction score
I think she has misjudged the timing. Everybody knew it was coming, it was only a matter of when.
IMO, this announcement would have played better if it was a response to article 50 being triggered which will be within the next two weeks or so.
In terms of publicity, the timing does make sense to me. You know that, even though everyone expects it to happen, when Brexit will be officially triggered later this month, media publications all over the world will report about it. Due to Surgeon's request, this wave of news coverage will now also include plenty of references to Scottish independence, as the idea of another referendum actually happening is a lot more credible now.

Robert

Reaction score
In terms of publicity, the timing does make sense to me. You know that, even though everyone expects it to happen, when Brexit will be officially triggered later this month, media publications all over the world will report about it. Due to Surgeon's request, this wave of news coverage will now also include plenty of references to Scottish independence, as the idea of another referendum actually happening is a lot more credible now.
You could be right.
And certainly if Mrs May continues making a right Jeremy Hunt of things, perhaps there will be grounds for cautious optimism.

Robert

Reaction score
UK and EU at odds over size of 'divorce bill'

The UK won't pay a 100bn-euro (£84bn) "divorce bill" to leave the EU, Brexit Secretary David Davis has said, as the two sides clashed over the issue.

He told ITV's Good Morning Britain the UK would pay what was legally due, in line with its rights and obligations, but "not just what the EU wants".

EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier said there was no desire to punish the UK but "its accounts must be settled".

While he wanted a "cordial" Brexit, he warned the "clock was ticking" now.