Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

Robert

Reaction score
Well, it currently looks like a second referendum may not happen anytime soon afterall...

Indeed.
Much as I feared, Sturgeon misjudged the public mood, and probably fatally as far as a referendum is concerned.

I doubt there will be another referendum as long as she remains leader, and probably not for a good while after that.

Not that it really matters - it would have no chance of succeeding in the current political climate anyway.

Last edited:

Robert

Reaction score
Could have saved a lot of money and effort by rolling out a welcome mat back in 1939.
What looks like being a modern day brain drain hasn't even properly kicked in yet.
What a time to be alive.

Robert

Reaction score
DCL195FXcAEaUNO.jpg

Robert

Reaction score
Migrant workers are fine and all (and even cheaper when they are illegal) but think of the children. What do you think school holidays are for?
That's certainly how it used to be, and it may well need to return to that if the soft fruit industry is to have a future, but most current UK school kids are "above" such, usually minimum wage work (as are most adults).
Without migrant workers this guy's business will, at minimum, face some major upheaval.
Bottom line, anyone whose business relies on minimum wage level EU migrants yet still voted leave is an idiot.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
Bottom line, anyone whose business relies on minimum wage level EU migrants yet still voted leave is an idiot.
Not really sure I see the connection to Brexit though. Leaving the EU doesn't mean not letting Poles or whoever in to pick fruit. The only way Brexit could effect this is if Europe wouldn't let Europeans out to work in the UK. That would mean having to restrict the free movement of their citizens.

JoBBo

Reaction score
Not really sure I see the connection to Brexit though. Leaving the EU doesn't mean not letting Poles or whoever in to pick fruit.
But then again, the 'Leave' campaign were the ones who successfully made this a referendum about immigration so 33% of 'Leave' voters primarily voted to limit immigration from the EU. (Of course, EU citizens only accounted for a measly 24% of immigrants coming to the UK between 1990 and 2015 but then again we have long known the 'Leave' campaign wasn't great at math.)

Last edited:

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
But then again, the 'Leave' campaign were the ones who successfully made this a referendum about immigration so 33% of 'Leave' voters primarily voted to limit immigration from the EU.
First - what they thought about immigration when they voted has nothing to do with what kinds of policies they would now be free to implement.
Second - migrant workers aren't immigrants, they are visitors unless granted permission to stay.
This issue is a red herring (as are most of them) after brexit. Britain is free to handle matters of immigration and trade as she sees fit and change her mind when necessary. I don't see hiw the EU could stop the migrant workers Britain needs without actually curtailing freedom of movement within the EU.

Robert

Reaction score
This issue is a red herring (as are most of them) after brexit. Britain is free to handle matters of immigration and trade as she sees fit and change her mind when necessary. I don't see hiw the EU could stop the migrant workers Britain needs without actually curtailing freedom of movement within the EU.

The trouble with that is a large number of people voted to leave thinking it will indeed stop migrant workers and the current government are very much playing to that gallery. It's not the EU who will stop them, but the UK might. This would, of course, be economically suicidal but it's exactly what a lot of people voted for.