Categories around here are not so good!!

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
We have a very uneven usage of categories and some of the categories are over used while some are underused.

We have very little going on in philosophy and religion, a bit more in sports, and some in entertainment but:

Politics, World Events in General and General Discussion are a bit of a dumping ground.

That being said - I don't know if the solution is to make more categories or get rid of all the categories except general discussion.

Almost feel that a "tag" system would be a better way of relating messages between threads but let the threads simply be their own topic as per thread subject.

Maybe we just need a Fluffy's Corner section. :mrgreen:

You guys come up with a consensus and I'll be happy to oblige.

Wayne

Personally I think what we need is more forum users. With less then 10 regular posters it doesn't much matter what categories or tags we use. But that also means I'm pretty much game with anything and willing to experiment if that makes others happy.

Glaucus said:
Personally I think what we need is more forum users. With less then 10 regular posters it doesn't much matter what categories or tags we use. But that also means I'm pretty much game with anything and willing to experiment if that makes others happy.
I'd agree, but the problem is finding users without attracting spammers who just LOVE PHPBB.

Maybe if we moved to vBulletin.. Dunno.

Wayne

Glaucus said:
Good liberal... Now go watch some Jane Fonda movies... :lol:

No, I'm just a good Canadian. Now back to fixing up my dog sled so I can make some more maple syrup, eh.

Since this subject has come up, I've SO wanted to reboot everything again and pull it up under the new vBulletin CMS engine..

It's just a matter of spending nearly 300 bucks that stops me..

Check out vbulletin.com to see what they've done with it.

Wayne

Wayne said:
Check out vbulletin.com to see what they've done with it.

Wayne

Dunno. How's it different? Well, it has that twiki-ish edit window that I don't like. It has that alarmingly USA Today front page option.

oh - captcha. Well, it's an evil but is it a "necessary evil" these days?

There are a lot of bullet points there but most of them don't really mean much to me.

Wayne, do you really need the full blown version? The forum only package is about $100 less. I'm guess you have bigger plans beyond whyzzat though, so I guess that might make sense then.

Anyway, it seems good feature wise, the question is how flexible is it? If you're willing to put the effort into tweaking it and putting up with our whining and moaning until we get used to it then that's cool. It's a fair chunk of change so I wouldn't push you into buying it so ultimately you'll have to figure out what that software means to you and if it's worth the cash. Chances are we'll be here either way.

FluffyMcDeath said:
We have a very uneven usage of categories and some of the categories are over used while some are underused.

Almost feel that a "tag" system would be a better way of relating messages between threads but let the threads simply be their own topic as per thread subject.

New Category Suggestions:
Weird News,
Social Relationships

and a tag system for posts

Back