Change happening in Iran?

@red and glaucus

Much of what we "know" about Hitler is revisionist history from the victors. Most of the German suffering came about because of the War. Ultimately the allies killed more people than the Germans killed Jews and Gypsies, and it wasn't done for Democracy. The average German's life under Hitler (before the war) was better than pre-Hitler. Every enemy of the west these days is Hitler but even Hitler wasn't Hitler. During the War the British government exerted more controls over the people than before and did not fully relinquish them after the war, i.e., even when they "won" the British became less free.

World War II is as steeped in mythology as any war. What people "fight for" is never the same as what the war is about. It's merely the "noble lie" without which the ordinary people would not sacrifice their lives for the ruling elite.

Glaucus said:
Blaming jews for the economic collapse was an easy way for him to get support from the majority, non jews.

The "Jews" always get the blame. Over and over again nations of Europe rose up against their Jews. When everyone attacks you over and over again you seriously have to wonder - what is wrong with everyone?

Glaucus said:
A more realistic explanation here is that there is a deep cultural divide in Iran and this election has exposed it to it's core. Just looking at the Mousavi supporters and Ahmedinejhad supporters the cultural divide is obvious. The religious police and strict Islamic laws are about as popular as Zionism in Tehran these days. I'm not sure why you must always assume that just because someone doesn't hate the US they are nothing more then neocon puppets.

Mousavi is more linked to the old monied interests. As in Venezuela, the wealthy moved against Chavez and used their media holdings and US contacts to almost overthrow him, the wealthy in Iran who had it good under the Shah still rue the day. However, it is hard to know if the crowds we see on the news are the pro Mousavi demonstrators or the massive pro-Ahmedinejhad demonstrators.

I now see there's no point continuing this discussion.

Glaucus said:
I'm thinking they're protesting against the election results. I can simply not understand how people would do this if the elections were truly irrelevant.

Iran’s election was to be a charade election, re-electing Ahmadinejad

The opposition candidates are irrelevant. All the candidates were pre-approved by the unelected mullahs who rule the country. There is no major differences between the candidates, but what happened is that the anti-Islamic-Theocracy vote which boycotted the last election, decided after observing that the Iraqi elections had an impact, so they decideded that they would vote for Mousavi as an anti-Ahmadinejad, anti-Theocracy protest vote. It looks like Mousavi won in a landslide, but this upset the election sham, so Ahmadinejad was blatantly declared the winner anyway.

They are protesting the invalidation of their anti-Ahmadinejad, anti-Theocracy votes.

Back