Eddie Van Halen is dead, 2020 can officially kiss my ass.

redrumloa

Reaction score
Eddie Van Halen, grinning guitar god for a rock generation, dies at 65

Eddie Van Halen, the all-American guitar hero who, with his namesake hard-rock band Van Halen, redefined the sound and possibilities of the electric guitar in the 1970s and ’80s, died on Tuesday at age 65. The cause was throat cancer.

His death was first reported by TMZ.

“I can’t believe I’m having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning,” wrote his son, Wolfgang Van Halen via Twitter.

“He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift... I love you so much, Pop.”

Eddie Van Halen was an immigrant kid who emerged from Pasadena with an ear for hard-rock hooks and wild guitar flash in the Jimi Hendrix tradition. His speed and innovations along the fretboard inspired a generation of imitators, as the band bearing his name rose to MTV stardom and multiplatinum sales over 10 consecutive albums.

In contrast to the shadowy gothic blues of Black Sabbath, or the pagan thunder of Led Zeppelin, the band Van Halen delivered muscular hard rock in Technicolor. The group’s sound and image were vivid reflections of its Southern California home, with a lead guitarist in bright colors and a welcoming, good-time grin.

“Ed’s a once- or twice-in-a-century kind of guy. There’s Hendrix and there’s Eddie Van Halen,” friend and guitarist Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains said during Grammy weekend in January 2019. “Those two guys tilted the world on its axis.”

Yes pretty much everything after 2015 kinda sucks. :( My dad died in 2017 aged 69 and it still hurts like hell.
But yea, :finger: 2020

On a lighter note; Here's Southparks' ode to Van Halen

the band Van Halen delivered muscular hard rock in Technicolor
Nicely worded

I have only cried for 3 celebrity deaths in my life. Dimebag (murdered on stage), Jeff Hanneman, and now Eddie Van Halen. It's sad not enough people younger than ~20 even know Van Halen. Their impact on music and even pop culture is immeasurable, especially Eddie. Eddie's the best guitarist of all time in my mind.

Just saw an interview from 1996 where they speak Dutch.
Man that is weird to see American rock stars speaking just normal Dutch. Also in a really relaxed and informal way, like they're still the guys next door garage band. So cool. I cry with you Red.

Most people don't know their story. They were actually biracial immigrants to the US. Eddie and Alex were born in the Netherlands to a Dutch father and Indonesian-born mother. Although their father was a musician, he worked as janitor to support the family.

Bonus fact, 'Big Bad Bill' on Diver Down has their father, Jan Van Halen, on clarinet.

Last edited:
It tells you something about the man, when his EX-wife response so strongly.

Valerie Bertinelli Reveals Eddie Van Halen’s Final Moments: “Wolfie And I Were Able To Hold You”

40 years ago my life changed forever when I met you. You gave me the one true light in my life, our son, Wolfgang.
Through all your challenging treatments for lung cancer, you kept your gorgeous spirit and that impish grin.
I’m so grateful Wolfie and I were able to hold you in your last moments.
I will see you in our next life my love.

vhf-1.jpg

Incredibly moving debut solo single and video by Wolfgang Van Halen.

Incredibly moving debut solo single and video by Wolfgang Van Halen.

Wolfgang Van Halen Reacts to His Solo Debut Hitting Number One on iTunes

Wolfgang Van Halen’s solo debut track, “Distance,” which serves as a tribute to his father Eddie Van Halen, hit the top of the iTunes song chart shortly after its release.

Wolfgang shared a screenshot of the chart via social media writing, “#1 on @iTunes. Not just rock, but overall. I’m speechless. The response to Distance has been mind-blowing and I’m so thankful for each and every one of you. Know that the weight of this moment is not lost on me. Thank you. Wish you were here for this, Pop.”

Hard to believe after all this time Eddie was the first to go. What a tender but hard to watch video.

Previously Unseen Footage Of EDDIE VAN HALEN And JASON BECKER Posted Online

An amazing meeting took place on August 31, 1996. That's when Eddie Van Halen spent the day with a guy who had followed in his footsteps playing alongside David Lee Roth — Jason Becker. Jason had been diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease, and was not in good shape. Van Halen came to Jason's house to give love and support — as well as a guitar — to his friend and to film an ALS awareness promotional video. During that time, Eddie told stories, talked about his creative process, and played amazing music, instantly sounding exactly like Eddie Van Halen even when playing Jason's guitar through a small practice amp.

The never-before-seen footage below shows a side of Eddie Van Halen that goes far beyond his brilliant musicianship: a sweet, caring, generous personality, devoid of the trappings of fame or rock stardom. The video also documents the incredible strength of Jason Becker, who had been deprived of his shot at fame as well as his genius guitar skills, but still found the courage and the will to battle a debilitating disease.

"Eddie was such a beautiful person," says Becker. "He was incredibly kind to me and my family. Not only was he my biggest influence, he had such a huge heart. He honestly saved my life."

This video is a must-see piece of history, not just for guitarists but for everyone. It truly shows the magic of kindness, and a depth of emotion that we can all use more of.

Back