Favourite meals you've cooked yourself.

Oatmeal Meatloaf
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
2 cups instant oatmeal
1/2 bell pepper diced, remove seeds
1 serrano pepper diced, remove seeds ( optional )
1/2 onion diced
1 carrot, grated
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can condensed tomato soup
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons worcestershire
Mix oatmeal, tomato soup, diced tomatoes, black pepper and worcestershire and then microwave in pyrex baking dish about 4-5 min
then mix in the ground beef, bell pepper, serrano pepper, & onion & carrot
once mixed, spread a mustard glaze on top
bake at 350 until brown
about 1hr

Last edited:
Question, English or French mustard for the glaze?

standard yellow mustard is what I use, but either one would work

I think we may be having a small British English to American English translation error.

To me English mustard is a pungent hot table sauce, with French mustard being much milder. But both are yellow in colour. But given that I have English to hand, I'll take a stab at it with that. Cheers for the recipe, looking forward to trying it :)

Fun fact: You can really wind up the locals by asking for "Lee and Perins" (a national brand) Worcestershire sauce instead of the locally made "Hendersons Relish".

Bonus points for responding to their complaints by saying "well, they're the same thing aren't they?" They do not like it :jerry:

we have Lee and Perins here in the US. In fact THAT is THE only Worcestershire sauce we (in my family) get because "everything else is bullshìt" - to quote the main cook around here.

I think we may be having a small British English to American English translation error.

You made me read the wiki on mustard ;)

here the typical mustard choices are American Yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, Brown Mustard

didn't know about English or French (English) types

Next time I make meatloaf, will try the English mustard

the history of food interests me
I spent a month or so going to the links on this site a couple years ago, beware! ;)

De Condimentis (11): Mustard
De Condimentis (2) Umami

Worcestershire Sauce was “invented” (actually reverse-engineered — it was uncovered at an apothecary in Bengal by a minister of the East India Company) in 1837

THE VENN PLATTER

you can actually find serrano peppers ? :p
( commonly used in mexican meat dishes and in salsa, jalapenos are best with cheese)
I've NEVER bought a lb of them at once! lol

recipe is just fine without them, but if you like spicy food, definitely add ONE

Last edited:

here the typical mustard choices are American Yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, Brown Mustard

Over here we have those types, though typically when talking mustard, we tend to think yellow. We also have "American" mustard (also yellow), though it tends to be an even milder play on the French stuff.

I would caution you in using the English mustard as a glaze - it gets ferociously hot very fast, so use sparingly. Its a peppery type of heat rather than the slow build up you'd find in a curry, slathering it on like nuttella will leave you hating life.

the history of food interests me
I spent a month or so going to the links on this site a couple years ago, beware! ;)

De Condimentis (11): Mustard
De Condimentis (2) Umami

THE VENN PLATTER

you can actually find serrano peppers ? :p
( commonly used in mexican meat dishes and in salsa, jalapenos are best with cheese)
I've NEVER bought a lb of them at once! lol

recipe is just fine without them, but if you like spicy food, definitely add ONE

One of the handy things about living in a minority heavy area is that you can typically find things that would otherwise be a pain to dig up. I'll definitely take your advice on usage. I tried some California Reapers a few months back and the results were... Uncomfortable (never has the phrase "how hot can they really be?" been such obvious foreshadowing - right up there with "hold my beer and watch this" hnnnng).

I would caution you in using the English mustard as a glaze - it gets ferociously hot very fast, so use sparingly. Its a peppery type of heat rather than the slow build up you'd find in a curry, slathering it on like nuttella will leave you hating life.

definitely want to try it now ;)

. I'll definitely take your advice on usage. I tried some California Reapers a few months back and the results were... Uncomfortable (never has the phrase "how hot can they really be?" been such obvious foreshadowing - right up there with "hold my beer and watch this" hnnnng).

you're a brave man eating one of those! lol
hope the guy holding your beer, had a 6 pack for you!

There are three warnings you'll get before you put one of the hottest peppers in the world into your mouth. There's the oily sheen and the spiky bumps that seem to be nature's way of saying 'Don't Eat Me." And then there's the dead giveaway, the name: The Carolina Reaper.

Carolina Reaper the world's hottest pepper hits 2.2 million Scoville heat units

I don't eat any "Carolina Reaper's" or any "ghost peppers" (bhut jolokia) , but really no one should! ;)
I do like to add poblano hot sauce, which is hotter than tabasco

I don't know about English mustard, but French mustard is lame.

Groninger mustard cuts it for me.

You might as well try mustard soup, my favourite soup

Over here we have those types, though typically when talking mustard, we tend to think yellow. We also have "American" mustard (also yellow), though it tends to be an even milder play on the French stuff.

Sounds good :)

definitely want to try it now ;)
I do like to add poblano hot sauce, which is hotter than tabasco
I don't think tabasco is really hot. I'm used to sambal, which is really nice with peanut butter on your morning sandwich

I have a Ninja Cooking System (aka metal-based -- as opposed to ceramic -- slow cooker/crock-pot) that I've been using for about a year now and absolutely love using whenever the mood strikes me. In it and considering my dietary constraints, I've been experimenting a LOT with everything as of late. Pretty much a one-pot, "whatever sounds good" kinda thing, where I eat one bowl, then the rest of the large meal in other glass containers and eat on it for a week or so. Same goes for everything between custom creations to Hamburger Helper Quesadillas...

That being said, the favorite thing (and by far the simplest) I've cooked in it in a LONG time is that Quick and Easy Taco Soup recipe that I uploaded a few weeks ago when combined with 1 pound of ground chuck, one pound of ground sausage. It's 10x better by the third day after it's had a chance to meld the flavors..

(If I were done with the migration to the Hackintosh, I'd upload my 60-page cookbook with all the recipes I've collected over the years.)

taco soup.jpg

I don't think tabasco is really hot. I'm used to sambal, which is really nice with peanut butter on your morning sandwich

:wrong:

The hot sauce and salsa is for the eggs in the morning!
And if I make a peanut butter sandwich in the morning, would put peanut butter on toasted bread then add bacon!

Made this tonight:

Garbanzo Bean & Black eyed pea Salad side dish

1 can Garbanzo beans, 16 oz
1 can Black eyed pea's, 16 oz
1 can diced tomatoes and chilies 16 oz
1/2 onion diced
1 radish diced
1 stock celery diced
zesty Italian dressing 12 oz

drain Garbanzo beans and black eyed peas
microwave the drained Garbanzo & black eyed peas about 3 min
then add the onion, radish, celery, and Italian dressing to the beans
stir
then let marinade in refrigerator for at least 12 hrs

Its great as side dish anytime you have a sandwich, lasts me about a week, the longer it marinades, the better it gets

tonight I had it with a link sausage on black rye bread, with brown mustard, sauerkraut, & dill relish on top

I don't know about English mustard, but French mustard is lame.

Groninger mustard cuts it for me.

You might as well try mustard soup, my favourite soup
that sounds quite interesting. Must try this.
I personally like mustard with the seeds still floating around in it.

I suddenly ponder the heat dissipation properties of teflon.. :)

teflon is a non stick plastic, doesn't conduct heat well, however the metal it covers does conduct heat very well, and the teflon is a very thin layer

The real question is, how to they bond non-stick teflon (PTFE) to the metal??

It's a trade secret, and its not really bonded, which is why when a teflon pan gets too hot the teflon flakes off ( the melting point of PTFE is 620F or 327C )

they etch the pan to increase the surface area the PTFE attaches to

Last edited:
Back