Favourite meals you've cooked yourself.

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
went in search of leeks at the grocery, no luck so far
will try the Mercado Grande next
Not sure whether you can get in the grocery store as is. It's kind of a local thing here.
that sounds quite interesting. Must try this.
I personally like mustard with the seeds still floating around in it.
Good mustard soup has this, and is 'spicy' in a mustard way. To finish it, serve crispy baked strips of bacon with it.
Groninger food has a really really good bite. You never get hungry here.

Robert

Reaction score
:wrong:

The hot sauce and salsa is for the eggs in the morning!
And if I make a peanut butter sandwich in the morning, would put peanut butter on toasted bread then add bacon!
That's even wronger! :whack:

metalman

Reaction score
That's even wronger! :whack:

huevos rancheros?
jIKn3N9.jpg

or Peanut butter and bacon?
picNUUi40.jpg

Robert

Reaction score
Peanut butter and bacon.
Having said that, it's morning here now, I'm eating toast and the thought of adorning it with peanut butter and bacon doesn't seem quite as wrong now as it did last night. ;)

metalman

Reaction score
Peanut butter and bacon.
Having said that, it's morning here now, I'm eating toast and the thought of adorning it with peanut butter and bacon doesn't seem quite as wrong now as it did last night. ;)

wheat bread toasted
butter toast
peanut butter toast
add bacon strips

Last edited:

metalman

Reaction score
I don't know about English mustard, but French mustard is lame.

Groninger mustard cuts it for me.

You might as well try mustard soup, my favourite soup

the Mercado Grande had leeks, English mustard, and German coarse mustard! :)

so tonight made the mustard soup

it was very good! thanks for the recipe! will definitely make mustard soup again

cecilia

Reaction score
Peanut butter goes with everything :)

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
the Mercado Grande had leeks, English mustard, and German coarse mustard! :)

so tonight made the mustard soup

it was very good! thanks for the recipe! will definitely make mustard soup again
Glad you like it :)
Instead of leek, I prefer to use sliced spring onions. And, as with the crispy bacon, added just before you eat it.

Another local recipe I really really really like is poffert
For this you need a turban shaped baking tin. And this recipe is different from our family recipe, where we don't use self-raising flour but yeast and wheat, and we don't cook the poffert but actually bake it in an oven. (I think this is a "poor man's poffert" recipe, as ovens were expensive in the days of yore)

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
Peanut butter goes with everything :)
I don't know, American peanut butter is quite sweet and finely ground if I remember correctly, here it's more salty and coursely ground, so combinations may vary :) (people here tend to be grossed out by the thought of peanut butter jelly)

metalman

Reaction score
I'll see if I can get American peanut butter somewhere, I'm kinda curious :)
I use creamy peanut butter, it may have a lower melting point than yours
I don't think it matters much what type peanut butter you use as long as you get the melted combination of butter and peanut butter soaking into the wheat bread toast
if it doesn't melt together, you can always zap it for 15 sec or so in the microwave

and you can optionally add a tomato slice to the sandwich ;)

Last edited:

metalman

Reaction score
Glad you like it :)
Instead of leek, I prefer to use sliced spring onions. And, as with the crispy bacon, added just before you eat it.

that's what I noticed now that I made it, leeks are between onions and celery, light onion flavor, texture of celery

Since I bought a whole bundle just added sauté leeks to the chicken fried rice I just made

cecilia

Reaction score
I'll see if I can get American peanut butter somewhere, I'm kinda curious :)
Personally, the only ingrediaent I want in MY peanut butter is....peanuts.

no flippin' sugar, no salt, no corn syrup (yuk), just peanuts.

I actually have a machine that grinds peanuts and makes it into butter. And that results in a coarse blend. And there's an Italian shop around me that has a bigger machine which also makes peanut, and other nut butter. I like that as well. Very natural and lovely.

Keep away from "American" peanut butter. It's crap

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
that's what I noticed now that I made it, leeks are between onions and celery, light onion flavor, texture of celery

Since I bought a whole bundle just added sauté leeks to the chicken fried rice I just made
I wasn't aware that leeks were not that common in the US? Here it's a very every-day ingredient.

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
Personally, the only ingrediaent I want in MY peanut butter is....peanuts.

no flippin' sugar, no salt, no corn syrup (yuk), just peanuts.

I actually have a machine that grinds peanuts and makes it into butter. And that results in a coarse blend. And there's an Italian shop around me that has a bigger machine which also makes peanut, and other nut butter. I like that as well. Very natural and lovely.

Keep away from "American" peanut butter. It's crap
Hm, I thought American peanut butter would come in all kinds of qualities, and since I get my groceries most often at a local whole foods shop which sells very high quality foods, I thought it'd give it a try (they have more American products like maple syrup and vegetables like sweet potatoes, which are all really nice). I also get raisin sweetened hazelnut butter from them which is delicious.

cecilia

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that leeks were not that common in the US? Here it's a very every-day ingredient.
oh, leeks are easy to find. We have them often enough.
Of course, in NY you can find Everything. It's the best place to live aside from Europe for finding interesting cuisine

cecilia

Reaction score
Hm, I thought American peanut butter would come in all kinds of qualities, and since I get my groceries most often at a local whole foods shop which sells very high quality foods, I thought it'd give it a try (they have more American products like maple syrup and vegetables like sweet potatoes, which are all really nice). I also get raisin sweetened hazelnut butter from them which is delicious.
"American" peanut butter comes either 1) filled with extra shít or 2) natural (only made with peanuts)

the highest quality will always be 2)

sweet potatoes ARE the Food of the Gods. I LOVE sweet potatoes.

maple syrup is ONLY good if it's the real stuff. If it didn't Entirely come from a tree it's crap. And some so called "maple syrup" is just corn syrup with a fancy name. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing

metalman

Reaction score
tonight, the brining of the turkey

tomorrow, frying the turkey :)