For Kesa, re: Female Dr. Who

redrumloa

Reaction score
To be fully inclusive , if they are adding race into the mix, it would need a white stripe too - a rainbow from white to the deepest of the browns - and a ginger stripe!!!

Don't be silly, you can't include whites and be inclusive. Or at least that's what SJW morons tell us.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
Don't be silly, you can't include whites and be inclusive. Or at least that's what SJW morons tell us.
Technically when you combine the colours of the rainbow you get white - but don't spoil the SJW fun with physics.

metalman

Reaction score
Last edited:

metalman

Reaction score

redrumloa

Reaction score
DOCTOR Who producers have once again reminded the show’s ardent fans that it is actually for children.

A show for children, eh?

I personally don't care, I have not watched Dr Who since I was a kid in the 70s. Also if this change was happening in a vacuum, I might agree with you that it is a storm in a teacup. It isn't happening in a vacuum though, it is part of a larger global social engineering movement.

Hmm...

Doctor Who ratings drop to 6.1 million viewers for latest episode after series high of 8.2 million for the opener... as some viewers brand the show 'too PC'

The most recent episode saw a man give birth in space as the Doctor and her companions dealt with the threat of an adorable yet dangerous alien.

So far, 5.9million viewers have been calculated to have watched the episode, although this figure will rise when the 28 day consolidated figures are calculated and iPlayer viewers are included.

Arachnids In The UK and Rosa, the series' third and fourth episodes respectively, received an average of 6.4 million, while the second episode The Ghost Monument had a total of 7.1 million tuning in.

With Chris Chibnall at the helm of the eleventh series, so far the Doctor has got her TARDIS back, fought spiders, and met civil rights icon Rosa Parks in Alabama in 1955.

5812364-6356777-image-a-54_1541466829708.jpg

5812366-6356777-image-m-55_1541466831355.jpg

5812370-6356777-image-a-56_1541466845184.jpg

So according to Robert and the show producers it is a show for little children, but the show isn't about a good story, but rather a social engineering project as I predicted? Check. Sounds like they are ham-fisted with their agenda.

EXTERMINATING VIEWERS
Doctor Who ratings plunge after Jodie Whittaker takes over with PC plots

Angry viewers have described recent episodes as 'lectures' as the show explores issues like racism, male pregnancy and disabilities

Fans complained of being bombarded by preachy, serious messages instead of sci-fi entertainment.

Producers, under new boss Chris Chibnall, have opted to tackle issues such as racism as Jodie, 36, travelled back to meet civil rights icon Rosa Parks in the US in 1955.

Next week they have British Imperialism in their sights in 1947 India.

And the latest episode explored gender with a pregnant man giving birth.

A viewer tweeted: "That's the last episode I'll be watching. I don't watch this type of TV show to get subliminal PC lectures, it's supposed to be entertainment."

The BBC hoped to boost ratings which slumped under Jodie's predecessor Peter Capaldi. But they dipped to 5.9million in parts of Sunday's episode.

Last edited:

redrumloa

Reaction score
Interesting look at Dr Who's history from the beginning through the announcement of the current incarnation. This video is interesting as it's from Aug 2017 and makes some predictions about the then upcoming series. The video below starts towards the end, just for the current show, but the whole thing is interesting. Dr Who is not something I knew about except a tint bit of the Tom Baker era.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
Interesting look at Dr Who's history from the beginning through the announcement of the current incarnation.
Pertwee was my first classic Doctor, Davison my last. Ecclestone is my only new Doctor. I have seen a few of the Tennant shows, but no Smith or Capaldi.
I DID watch the 1996 movie and know someone personally who had lines in it!

As to the new Doctor, I had no problem with a woman in the role, and felt that it was fertile space to explore, though I will admit that I would not be so comfortable with a race change. Maybe I will come around at some point but the whole Doctor Who is such a white show in essence - it is very much a product of Britishness, it seems to me, that it would be too far out of character - like if Americans made it ... then it wouldn't be Doctor Who any more - anyway...

My feeling was that so long as the Doctor has gravitas and authority we could believe this Doctor - and in the very first thing I saw, which was the teaser, they undermined the Doctor's authority right away in the scene where the companions basically crown her by conferring authority on her by their authority. That might not sound very clear but the scene, short as it was, struck me as being not about the Doctor and the recognition of her innate abilities and leadership but rather about the writers need to signal to the world that they were handing over the reigns to a woman and wasn't that righteous of them.

I actually lodged an official complaint with the BBC through their online complaint procedure. Possibly I am not longer allowed into the country. :)

I have only seen snippets since then and it hasn't made me want to put aside the time to watch. It seems that they have once more dashed down the wacky comedic path and I'm not sure that makes for compelling drama - so, perhaps obviously, I have not subjected myself to enough of the show to find out whether it is preachy or not. I don't really know Whittacker enough to have a reasonable idea of what I should expect from her as an actor, but from the very tiny fragments I have seen of the new Doctor I can't help feeling she has been knee-capped by some very bad writing and direction. It would be nice if they can save her Doctor and the series but maybe we have reached the end and it's time to let it go.

I can't help feeling that it would have been great to have Joanna Lumley have a go at the role. She was a great Master in a Christmas special, I think she would have been a compelling Doctor, and I feel like she would not have put up with as much nonsense.

IMHO

cecilia

Reaction score
Capaldi made a brilliant Doctor, btw.

I'm enjoying this new season. It can explore issues that have not been addressed before. Like the obvious lack of male privilege that the Doctor now cannot depend on. When the Doctor gets exasperated with typical male condescension, all of us who grew up in female bodies are saying, "yup, that's annoying, ain't it".

But in typical Doctor Who fashion, she just goes on to solve the problem. My favorite episodes are Rosa Parks, the one about the "witches", and the episode where Yaz meets her grandmother.

I don't know where people get this "preachy" complaint from. Doctor Who has always been about doing what is right - and without using guns - but solving problems with one's BRAINS.

btw, Fluffy, while there IS the normal eccentric comedy that the Doctor has always possessed, it's not Big Laughs. Just normal cheeky humor.

redrumloa

Reaction score
I'm enjoying this new season.

Jodie Whittaker & Showrunner Exiting Doctor Who in 2019 According to Report

According to Comic Book, a report from the British sci-fi magazine Starburst is indicating that Chibnall will leave Doctor Who, since he doesn't like how the show is being run behind-the-scenes. The report also claims that if Chibnall departs from the series, Whittaker will go with him due to their prior working relationship on the program Broadchurch. The fansite Outpost Skaro is also reporting that Chibnall will only be working on a handful of episodes in season 12 if BBC is able to find another showrunner. While these reports aren't impossible to believe, they should be taken as rumors since Chibnall, Whittaker, and BBC have yet to comment.

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
Capaldi made a brilliant Doctor, btw.

I'm enjoying this new season. It can explore issues that have not been addressed before. Like the obvious lack of male privilege that the Doctor now cannot depend on. When the Doctor gets exasperated with typical male condescension, all of us who grew up in female bodies are saying, "yup, that's annoying, ain't it".

But in typical Doctor Who fashion, she just goes on to solve the problem. My favorite episodes are Rosa Parks, the one about the "witches", and the episode where Yaz meets her grandmother.

I don't know where people get this "preachy" complaint from. Doctor Who has always been about doing what is right - and without using guns - but solving problems with one's BRAINS.

btw, Fluffy, while there IS the normal eccentric comedy that the Doctor has always possessed, it's not Big Laughs. Just normal cheeky humor.
I think the BBC is becoming a preaching company. It has nothing to do anymore with morale, just plain preaching preaching and yet again preaching.
They're even blackwashing history; and this commenting video perfectly states my view on this:
I haven't seen the woman doctor yet and no doubt she does a fine job, but it's just the enforced reasons behind it that creeps me out.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
Like the obvious lack of male privilege that the Doctor now cannot depend on.
That's precisely what is annoying. The Doctor does NOT have male privilege. The Doctor has DOCTOR privilege. There are plenty of female characters in story and movie that have commanding presence, and plenty of women in real life that have it too. I see no reason why the Doctor cannot just be authoritative - was there no actress up to the task? I doubt it. It was a writing choice. The average man cannot walk into the midst of a world/universe threatening menace and take charge - but the Doctor CAN. The new show seemed to have elevated the companions and demoted the Doctor and had done that disservice to make a political point rather than honour the character. It could have modelled something positive instead of bemoaned something negative.

Anyway, I can't talk. I drifted away in the Tenant years and never watched Matt Smith. Wanted to come back for Capaldi but felt like I should catch up first and never got around to it. I've just seen clips. I liked Capaldi's performance but there seems to have been a lot of silliness creeping in.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
As Moffat said:

"We've kind of got to tell a lie. We'll go back into history and there will be black people where, historically, there wouldn't have been, and we won't dwell on that."

But that kind of memory holing doesn't wash with me. If you don't want to deal with the past then don't visit the past, but if you do then try to visit it as honestly as possible. The Doctor doesn't have a great need to go back to the past. There is the present, and the future and the universe. Going to the past has never been much of a Doctor Who destination - but this season seems to be going there a lot. There's no reason for it, or rather, there is no Dr Who reason for it. If you want to lie about the past to create a mythological basis for your modern politics then you are as morally debased as the Christian Right who do the same thing. A pox on both your houses.

cecilia

Reaction score
. The Doctor does NOT have male privilege. The Doctor has DOCTOR privilege.
yeah, I get that. Whittaker is doing fine in that department. She's aggressive, gutsy, fearless, challenging, etc. just like The Doctor Always has been. Just like every other actor who has taken this role, she IS The Doctor with just her own flavor.

The 'male privilege' isn't about The Doctor, it's about how Other men see men and women in THEIR time. You didn't see the episode, so you don't get the context. It was also a 'throw-away' line, so it's not as if they are SHOUTING this from rooftops. If some people aren't paying attention they may miss the line and the reference.

The episodes where the Doctor goes into the future or some alien place, this isn't mentioned.

Wanted to come back for Capaldi but felt like I should catch up first and never got around to it. I've just seen clips.
don't bother "catching up', just watch Capaldi's episodes and be impressed. They stand on their own.

cecilia

Reaction score
They're even blackwashing history; and this commenting video perfectly states my view on this:
yeah, I hate 'political correctness' and people bending over backward to make stories 'fair' is dopey. I'd rather just have good stories. I watched that video to the end and I love his demonstration of bad fight choreography.

the Rosa Parks episode was touching. Not preachy.

Last edited:

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
yeah, I hate 'political correctness' and people bending over backward to make stories 'fair' is dopey. I'd rather just have good stories.
And there are a gazillion of good stories that fit in the PC requirement perfectly without having to butcher actual history.
If you want female heroes, you can have 'em: take for instance the black Queen Zenobia of Palmyra: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenobia
or more recently Kenau Simonsdochter Hasselaer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenau_Simonsdochter_Hasselaer
the latter whom's bravery and stubborness became proverbial and legendary.
And if you want a more ethnically diverse, why not tell the histories of the Mali empire, the Ethiopian empire, the Comanche empire, the Maratha confederacy, the Mughal empire, the three kingdoms in China, the Khmer kingdom, the Ayutthaya kingdom, the Majaphit kingdom, the Malakka sultanate etcetera etcetera, ergo there are MORE than enough resources to make it more ethnically diverse without having to screw up actual history.
There's so much stories that I often think do we REALLY need another Robin Hood movie?
I watched that video to the end and I love his demonstration of bad fight choreography.

Cracked me up too :D
the Rosa Parks episode was touching. Not preachy.
Haven't seen it yet, so I can't say yet. I only recently watch the Doctor Who series and I think it's in general very good.

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
yeah, I get that. Whittaker is doing fine in that department. She's aggressive, gutsy, fearless, challenging,
... and somewhat 'clumsy' and a bit social awkward? Because that's VERY MUCH the doctor too as far as I can tell - a bit Asperger-ish.

redrumloa

Reaction score
I don't doubt some people like cecilia genuinely like the new Dr. Who, but it seems they are in the minority. This also points out once again my negative opinion on critics. IMO they are clearly not judging a movie or TV on the entertainment, They are judging it on a perceived "diversity" and "woke" quota.

241l10z.jpg

I haven't seen any episodes myself, I stopped watching in the 70s, but the gulf between critics and audience is quite telling.

cecilia

Reaction score
If you want female heroes, you can have 'em
yes, please. the more the merrier.

.. and somewhat 'clumsy' and a bit social awkward? Because that's VERY MUCH the doctor too as far as I can tell - a bit Asperger-ish.
I'm not a medical doctor (and I don't play one on TV) so I can't make a diagnosis. The Doctor certainly can be "odd" socially, that's for sure. But that's what makes him/her charming.