Ghostbusters Afterlife 2021 Trailer, looks... good?

Is this son of ghostbusters, or grandson of ghostbusters?
and I hope this is a comedy.

Is this son of ghostbusters, or grandson of ghostbusters?
and I hope this is a comedy.

The main 2 kids in this trailer (boy and girl) are supposed to be Egon Spengler's grandkids. My understanding is the movie will be more focused on the the kids than the adults, but every surviving original Ghostbuster will make an appearance. Not much more is known at this time, they have kept things under wrap for the most part.

There is a LOT of speculation that it will have the same tone as "Stranger Things". This first full official trailer seems to confirm this. It also does have some of the very same kids cast from that show. I've only watched season 1 of that show, but it actually was very good. If you haven't seen it, I can recommend at least season 1. It's not a comedy. It's a fairly serious show with some drama elements, but there are still comedic moments all over the place. Unfortunately I doubt this sequel will have much of the same dry humor tone of the 1st, but we can hope! The 1st will probably never be matched for dry humor because that cast (men and women) would probably be impossible to match today. As long as it's 100% respectful of the first 2 and really tries to forward that storyline in a creative way, I'm hopeful.

I love that guy's accent.
Very interesting "review" of an unseen film. I agree it sure would be wonderful to see some respect for the history of older films.
I'm also hoping for the best
I've never seen "Stranger Things" because I don't think I have access to whatever channel it's on. I only know about it because LEGO made sets based on the show. Seems clever.

I love that guy's accent.
Very interesting "review" of an unseen film. I agree it sure would be wonderful to see some respect for the history of older films.
I'm also hoping for the best
I've never seen "Stranger Things" because I don't think I have access to whatever channel it's on. I only know about it because LEGO made sets based on the show. Seems clever.

Critical drinker is a good channel and I generally agree with his take on pop culture, mainly movie discussion old and new.

You could sail the high seas to watch Stranger Things, or find a cheap 2nd hand box set of season one. Season 1 is certainly clever. It is set in the early 1980s and REALLY catches that 80s vibe well.

Season 1 is certainly clever. It is set in the early 1980s and REALLY catches that 80s vibe well.
I loved the first series, probably because of the attention to 80s detail. But I lost interest rapidly from season 2 onwards.

No spoilers, just watch this final trailer and tell me your reaction, IF you were a fan of #1 that is.

Me? I got goosebumps. Can't remember the last time that ever happened with a movie trailer, if ever.

I think this movie will be a hit ;-) Check out the feedback / comment section to this final trailer. Here's what I think is a perfect example.

ghostbusters.jpg

Having Bill Murray fully onboard is a near miracle. It HAD to have been pitched to him perfectly.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife tops global box office with $60m

While some may be quick to compare Afterlife‘s success against the 2016’s Ghostbusters $65m global opening weekend take, a few things need to be kept in mind, including the reboot not having to contend with a pandemic. Also, the reported budget for Afterlife was only $75m, nearly half of Paul Feig’s offering that cost at a staggering $144m.

afterlife_95_rotten_tomatoes.jpg

Last edited:
I saw it Saturday with my grandson and we really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect movie. There is one glaring plot hole that happens during the climax of the movie (no spoilers given here), but the way it happens many may not notice. Admittedly the movie is jam packed with fan service, but done in a very loving way. I'd give the movie an A- overall.

The only thing I'd temper for original fans is flow of the movie and involvement of original cast. The flow of the movie is different than the original. It's a bit slower pace and more grounded overall. Think a bit Goonies meets Stranger Things, in the Ghostbusters universe. I wouldn't call that a knock, just an observation. The original cast involvement is firmly in the cameo category, but again done with utmost respect. Some scenes are clumsy, including the final action scene, but it came across as forgivable to me taken as a whole. As an original fan expect to get an overwhelming sense of "the feels". On the positive side there is a fair amount of humor in the movie, and it does lean to the dry side.

The PG-13 rating seems to only be there due to some pretty mild cursing and sexual innuendo. If you are a fan of he original, I recommend it highly. Even if you aren't the biggest fan of the original, you'd probably like it.

Back