Manchester Arena Bombing

Robert

Reaction score
Trump says leaks 'deeply troubling'
The US president, Donald Trump, has said the leaks of sensitive information from the Manchester investigation are “deeply troubling” and pose a “grave threat” to US national security. He said:

There is no relationship we cherish more than the special relationship between the United Staes and the United Kingdom.

He said he has asked the US department of justice and other agencies to launch a complete investigation, vowing: “My administration will get to the bottom of this.”

metalman

Reaction score
Exclusive: Manchester suicide bomber used student loan and benefits to fund terror plot

Abedi was given at least £7,000 from the taxpayer-funded Student Loans Company after beginning a business administration degree at Salford University in October 2015. It is thought he received a further £7,000 in the 2016 academic year even though by then he had already dropped out of the course

Abedi, 22, never held down a job, according to neighbours and friends, but was able to travel regularly between the UK and Libya. Abedi also had sufficient funds to buy materials for his sophisticated bomb while living in a rented house in south Manchester. Six weeks before the bombing Abedi rented a second property in a block of flats in Blackley eight miles from his home, paying £700 in cash. He had enough money to rent a third property in the centre of Manchester from where he set off with a backpack containing the bomb. Abedi also withdrew £250 in cash three days before the attack and transferred £2,500 to his younger brother Hashim in Libya, who is accused of knowing about the attack in advance.

the_leander

Reaction score
Manchester has been something of a hotbed for hardline Islamists, with multiple grooming gangs prosecuted in the area (albeit both combined wouldn't even qualify as a rounding error compared to Rotherham), so it's not entirely surprising that this attack was born there.

It seems a fair portion of the network that helped support this attack have been lifted, so some good news.

Robert is correct in his points about the IRA in as much as the religious element being a major part, though it was as much an attack against the establishment as much as protestants.

If these attacks continue, I do worry that the result will be all Muslims ending up being held accountable. And as much as it has become a meme, it isn't all Muslims. Most of the immigrant groups have nothing to do with it. But there is a serious issue coming from within a specific ultra conservative subset that has to be dealt with, soon.

the_leander

Reaction score
I saw a video the other day suggesting there were some 3000 odd terror suspects under 24hr surveillance, with a further 25000 suspects in the UK.

We simply don't have the resources to watch them all.

If I find it again I'll post it.

This is only the beginning I fear.

metalman

Reaction score
Homeless man who was hailed as hero admits robbing Manchester bombing victims

Had his case gone to trial the jury would have seen CCTV footage of Parker at the Arena shortly after the bomb went off. Wearing a woolly hat and carrying a rucksack, he could be seen circling the victims, who were scattered across the foyer and lying in pools of blood.

At one point he appeared to kick a handbag across the floor and then go and look into it. He could also be seen looking through a coat left on a staircase.

The jury would also have seen photographs Parker took on his own mobile phone and subsequently tried to sell to the media. They included a shot of Healey next to Sorrell and Sorrell’s mother, Samantha, who was also injured. Another photograph showed what appeared to be a nail, which may have been used as shrapnel in the bomb which killed 22 people.

Robert

Reaction score
Homeless man who was hailed as hero admits robbing Manchester bombing victims

Had his case gone to trial the jury would have seen CCTV footage of Parker at the Arena shortly after the bomb went off. Wearing a woolly hat and carrying a rucksack, he could be seen circling the victims, who were scattered across the foyer and lying in pools of blood.

At one point he appeared to kick a handbag across the floor and then go and look into it. He could also be seen looking through a coat left on a staircase.

The jury would also have seen photographs Parker took on his own mobile phone and subsequently tried to sell to the media. They included a shot of Healey next to Sorrell and Sorrell’s mother, Samantha, who was also injured. Another photograph showed what appeared to be a nail, which may have been used as shrapnel in the bomb which killed 22 people.

I remember seeing this guy on telly at the time, saying how selflessly he went to help:
“It knocked me to the floor and then I got up and instead of running away, my gut instinct was to run back and try and help.”

And thinking, "did ye, aye?"
So I can't say I'm surprised.