Ok, so what can I do better / differently?

JoBBo

Reaction score
As a start, you might want to add the code I provided for making the "Last Post" blocks wider.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, since I'm clearly not speaking a common language, "I know exactly {bleep} all about CSS" :)

JoBBo

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it is recommended to only modify "extras.css" via the template editor as all other templates might get overwritten if the theme is updated.

By default, I assume the "extras.css" template should be empty. All you need to do is to copy and paste CSS code snippets from the forum to the "extras.css" template and save these changes. That is all.

As a reminder, I previously posted a link to tutorial mentioning how to find and open "extras.css": http://www.artodia.com/xenforo-tutorials/customizing-style/ (Scroll down until you see the red headline "Editing css".)

Next, please copy and paste the following code...
Code:
@media (min-width: 1200px) {
  div.nodeLastPost {
    width: 390px !important;
  }
}

If you save these changes, the "Last Post" blocks should now be wider on pretty much any modern computer screen.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks. I've added that code into extra.css, but I don't see any difference on my side (or iPad). Can you?

Wayne

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok... I stand corrected. I was looking at the "Latest posts" block at the bottom. I now see the difference, even if I don't understand what the code did.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Jobbo,

Sincerely though. I've gone beyond really caring about doing stuff on the web -- though I still keep buying domains and such, go figure... I just don't get into it as much as I once did and for I'm sure a lot of brain-damaged, self-interested reasons. I guess being hampered and stuck supporting HTML 2/3 for 15 years trying to support those 6 remaining Amiga diehards really stunted my "web-fu"

That being said, I wanted to offer a sincere "thank you" for helping me out and putting up with my bullshit along the way...

Wayne

JoBBo

Reaction score
Not a problem :) I enjoy this website so I do not mind "giving back" by helping to improve it. Also, while I do some contract web development when I can get it, I have yet to get sick of it.

Regarding the "Recent Posts" block near the bottom, it lacks a unique class or id name which would help to clearly separate it from other layout elements so any styling changes would also affect other parts of the website. Although it is also possible to apply styling rules to the n-th child of another specific parent element, which can circumvent the need for a unique name, in this particular case this would likely affect other parts of the website as soon as you move away from the homepage.

I looked at a demo installation of XenForo and reviewed the "forum_list" template, but realized that I would need access to your "Recent Posts" mod which was not included.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
The "recent posts mod" isn't really. It's a compilation of block mods called [bd] Widget Framework version 2.5.0c

The same package drives a good number of the blocks on the front page including the status updates, recent posts, and more. I simply haven't turned on most of them because of a lack of space and need.

Wayne

JoBBo

Reaction score
Unfortunately, XenForo's official demo forum installation does not appear to allow me to install any third-party add-ons.

Kesa

Reaction score
What i want to see are "woof" notifications sent by Whyzzat that go to all my social media including twitter, facebook, strava, kik, laptop, phone, fax and email. This way every time someone posts something anywhere everywhere i know about it asap.