Recording discovered of John McCain singing

redrumloa

Reaction score
That video is in very bad taste. I'm not a huge fan of McCain, but the simple fact is the man served his country, was shot down & critically injured. He then was then tortured and held for 5 years. Everyone has a breaking point.

Besides, this is not new information. As early as 1973 McCain discusses being forced into signing a confession, and in his 1999 memoir Faith of My Fathers, he directly addresses it.

On the fourth day, I gave up.

"I am a black criminal," the interrogator wrote, "and I have performed the deeds of an air pirate. I almost died and the Vietnamese people saved my life. The doctors gave me an operation that I did not deserve."

I had been taken back to the theater after telling my guards I was ready to confess. For twelve hours I had written out many drafts of the confession. I used words that I hoped would discredit its authenticity, and I tried to keep it in stilted generalities and Communist jargon so that it would be apparent that I had signed it under duress.

An interrogator had edited my last draft and decided to rewrite most of it himself. He then handed it to me and told me to copy it out in my own hand. I started to print it in block letters, and he ordered me to write in script. He demanded that I add an admission that I had bombed a school. I refused, and we argued back and forth about the confession's contents for a time before I gave in to his demand. Finally, they had me sign the document.

They took me back to my room and let me sleep through the night. The next morning, they brought me back to the theater and ordered me to record my confession on tape. I refused, and was beaten until I consented.

I think people trotting this recording out for political gain right now are the lowest of low despicable human beings.