Refund the police?

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score

You've got to be kidding me.
Is it really so hard for people just to think for a minute; to be able to defund the police the crime rate needs to go down FIRST, as a delayed effect of social investments?

You've got to be kidding me.
Is it really so hard for people just to think for a minute; to be able to defund the police the crime rate needs to go down FIRST, as a delayed effect of social investments?
well, that's a rather simplistic view (the video).
I've long said the correct term really should be more like "demilitarize" the police. There are instances where a gun is not the best tool. And, in the US way too many police depts are outfitted as if they are invading the middle east. It's ridiculous and one of the reasons way to many citizens die at the hands of the police.

Another policy I'velong suggested is that all drugs should be decriminalized. Portugal has a 20 year success with that policy. drug addiction is a medical issue and should never have been a legal one. Use fewer guns and more therapists.

sure, there are cases where one needs a fully armed swat team. They should only be used when needed. Use other methods when they are needed.

I've long said the correct term really should be more like "demilitarize" the police. There are instances where a gun is not the best tool. And, in the US way too many police depts are outfitted as if they are invading the middle east. It's ridiculous and one of the reasons way to many citizens die at the hands of the police.

Another policy I'velong suggested is that all drugs should be decriminalized. Portugal has a 20 year success with that policy. drug addiction is a medical issue and should never have been a legal one. Use fewer guns and more therapists.

sure, there are cases where one needs a fully armed swat team. They should only be used when needed. Use other methods when they are needed.
You sure won't have an argument with me there, but apparently some people were so much rallied up they wanted to get rid of the police all together, as it was considered to be an extension of slave labour enforcement. I read this at the black lives matter movement site referred by XKCD a while ago, as I was curious about their ideas.

I actually agree with almost all of your post. Police need to be able to respond to respond to things like the 1997 North Hollywood Bank Shootout, but otherwise should not be militarized. It's something that the left and right should be able to work together to fix, but those amongst us concerned don't seem to have a large enough voice. The reason for those of us on the left and right coming to this conclusion are somewhat different too. On the right there is a serious concern the militarizing is going hand in hand with erosion and possible repealing of the 2nd Amendment.

Defund the police means defund the police!
Defund the police means defund the police!
Defund the police means abolish the police!
as SOON as I heard people saying "defund", I replied, "demilitarize", NOT defund

I don't follow the crowd.
do I understand WHY people were saying that? Of course. There are marginalized groups who have been attacked and the police were that tool. I get the frustration, the anger, etc.

I just try to be more specific about the solution.

I actually agree with almost all of your post. Police need to be able to respond to respond to things like the 1997 North Hollywood Bank Shootout, but otherwise should not be militarized. It's something that the left and right should be able to work together to fix, but those amongst us concerned don't seem to have a large enough voice. The reason for those of us on the left and right coming to this conclusion are somewhat different too. On the right there is a serious concern the militarizing is going hand in hand with erosion and possible repealing of the 2nd Amendment.
I just don't want the police to go around killing citizens because some of them think they can get away with it.

Back