site changes with upgrade...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I know right now you're thinking you truly HATE the new changes to the site. Rest assured, you're not alone. This is a LONG post but PLEASE read it. It's important.

This afternoon, I upgraded the site from version 1.1.5 to 1.3.1 out of necessity. That's basically what happens when the developers move on and stop supporting older versions (much like Microsoft).

What I didn't count on was the theme we were using was no longer compatible, and no development on that particular theme is happening to make it compatible. *I* don't have a month to hand-code the necessary changes to make it compatible, and even if I did, chances are that the site's software would upgrade before I could fix it all, so here we are..

In order to make this all work, when I upgraded to 1.3.1, I had to choose a new theme. Rather than spend money on just a theme, I bought a "framework" which is a fancy way of saying "really complicated but useful and expandable theme". The name of the framework is called "UI.X" and hopefully as a paid product, they won't abandon it like the older stuff.

So... What has changed?
------------------------------
  • The biggest change is the front page and the missing plug-ins (like Media and the Tapatalk plugin).
    The front page, along with the "latest posts" and the "quick status updates" were part of a plugin called XenPorta.

A great plugin, but it is incompatible with 1.3.1 and the author has gone from freeware to "crowd-sourcing" which is just an extortionists way of saying "pay to play". (initial license fee + per yearly fee, which sucks...)

I'm not opposed really, but I just want things to settle down and for him to actually produce a 1.3.x compatible upgrade BEFORE I pay him money...

UNTIL THEN: NEW POSTS CAN BE FOUND VIA THE URL: http://www.whyzzat.com/find-new/posts

• Secondly, the Media Page and Tapatalk. The Media page is driven by a plugin from the same author as above. The Tapatalk module is available, but I wanted to gauge your feedback as to whether any of you actually USE Tapatalk before I download/configure/build/install it

• I am searching for alternatives to all the modules we had formerly installed that are either freeware or truly shareware.
  • The color scheme and logos...
    Again, please don't panic (too bad anyway). I'll begin to work on the colors as soon as we're sure bigger issues don't exist. I may need to ask our server admins for a PHP and other upgrades, but only errors will point out the need for that.

Last edited:
  • Secondly, the Media Page and Tapatalk. The Media page is driven by a plugin from the same author as above. The Tapatalk module is available, but I wanted to gauge your feedback as to whether any of you actually USE Tapatalk before I download/configure/build/install it
The color scheme and logos...
Again, please don't panic (too bad anyway). I'll begin to work on the colors as soon as we're sure bigger issues don't exist. I may need to ask our server admins for a PHP and other upgrades, but only errors will point out the need for that.

Since I don't know what a Tapatalk module does, I doubt I use it

Almost all of us embed media in posts, so that is important

As long as the color scheme is readable is all that matters, I just earlier today followed a link to a another site that had an unreadable background/font combo

Update: There is now a "new threads" box on the right side nav column. Not exactly where I wanted to place it, but it'll do until I can find something better?

I've used Tapatalk but I'm not too bothered about it. It's still a pain to post from the phone and the way it redirects URLs is kind of distasteful. I can live without it.

I quite like this new look.
Thanks for keeping it going, Wayne.

Looks nice so far, well done Wayne.

Check it out. Getting Closer... New Threads is back.. At the bottom of the forum list page though... Still working on that.

Looks nice, though for reasons best known to itself the button inbetween the post reply and more options is being ganked by chromium. That said at least this time it's displaying the button size correctly, which is more than it did with the last version.

RE Tapatalk, in truth this site was the only one I used it on (in fact this site the reason I bought it as Opera couldn't handle the place) but having gone over to chromium and having a functional site again... It hardly seems relevant, especially in light of the fact that the guy who makes the plugin has turned bandit.

Looking very nice actually.

Back