Stock pick for Wayne

redrumloa

Reaction score
Wayne,
I seem to remember you saying if I saw another penny stock that looked like a lock to explode to let you know. I think I have one for you, one you may not expect, Sirius XM!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SIRI

SIRI is currently $0.137 a share, I am expecting it will go north of $1.00 in the next few months. SIRI was trading this low because of fear that they would go bankrupt. BK looks to be off the table now that Liberty Media (DirecTV parent) has injected capital and made loans, SIRI has until 2012 until the next debt is due. The stock hasn't rallied more because (IMO) the media is ignoring positive aspects of recent events or outright misrepresenting them. Don't just take my word for it, the big boys have been backing up the truck at these levels.

http://satwaves.com/t-rowe-prices-incre ... -26000.php

T Rowe Prices Increases holdings by 26000%

February 15th, 2009

On February 13th, T Rowe Price reported that they had acquired another 84,350,159 shares of SIRIUSXM, increasing the firm’s current holding to 84,673,669 shares representing a 26073.43% increase from its previous holding.

This is just one example. I bought in ~3 weeks ago at about ~$0.11, so I am up about 25% so far but it has been a roller coaster ride. I bought before BK was off the table, it should be off the table now so things are getting less volatile .

JMO as I see it. If you do take the plunge only invest what you can afford to lose without losing sleep as this is still a highly speculative investment. Q4 results should be released Thursday morning, it will probably be the catalyst up much higher but it could also always go lower. I don't see too much potential for crashing, but the market will do what the market will do. The downside potential is your investment amount, but the upside is unlimited. Meaning, if you invest $1,000 you could lose $1,000. Alternatively if you invest $1,000 you could make $10,000 or more.

I *really* wish I felt good about letting go of any money right now.. Times are tight as is.

Wayne

redrumloa said:
Wayne,
I seem to remember you saying if I saw another penny stock that looked like a lock to explode to let you know. I think I have one for you, one you may not expect, Sirius XM!

SIRI is currently $0.137 a share, I am expecting it will go north of $1.00 in the next few months. SIRI was trading this low because of fear that they would go bankrupt. BK looks to be off the table now that Liberty Media (DirecTV parent) has injected capital and made loans, SIRI has until 2012 until the next debt is due. The stock hasn't rallied more because (IMO) the media is ignoring positive aspects of recent events or outright misrepresenting them. Don't just take my word for it, the big boys have been backing up the truck at these levels.

http://satwaves.com/t-rowe-prices-incre ... -26000.php

T Rowe Prices Increases holdings by 26000%

February 15th, 2009

On February 13th, T Rowe Price reported that they had acquired another 84,350,159 shares of SIRIUSXM, increasing the firm’s current holding to 84,673,669 shares representing a 26073.43% increase from its previous holding.

This is just one example. I bought in ~3 weeks ago at about ~$0.11, so I am up about 25% so far but it has been a roller coaster ride. I bought before BK was off the table, it should be off the table now so things are getting less volatile .

JMO as I see it. If you do take the plunge only invest what you can afford to lose without losing sleep as this is still a highly speculative investment. Q4 results should be released Thursday morning, it will probably be the catalyst up much higher but it could also always go lower. I don't see too much potential for crashing, but the market will do what the market will do. The downside potential is your investment amount, but the upside is unlimited. Meaning, if you invest $1,000 you could lose $1,000. Alternatively if you invest $1,000 you could make $10,000 or more.

I hear ya, things are tough all over :(

Hang in there...

SIRI on the move!

Closed the Friday session at $0.16, up 23% on the day!

:banana:

Volume spiked in the last ~hour of trading. Something is up, but no Q4 results yet. Next week will be interesting.

/me knocks on wood

Jim,

A good article that I hate to agree with, but they have a point re: Siri...

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-grow ... us-xm.aspx

Same reason I figure Netflix, TiVo, and providers like direcTV have it in for them in the long run.

In regards to direcTV, in 5-6 years, I'm betting we see networks setting up services and pushing out content just like Hulu on a regular basis across the net, either to dedicated boxes, or through devices similar to today's TiVo.

You buy a $50 box, plug it up, tell it what shows you want to watch, and it goes to the network's internet servers and gets them for you at the appointed time.

Sounds just dreamy to me, though I understand the issues associated with bandwidth, millions of viewers, and HDTV sized files.

Wayne

You can't put too much weight into Motley Fool. Those articles are written by ameteur members. They will have an extremely negative article one day, and a positiveone the next.

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-grow ... us-xm.aspx

Remember all the talk that set top boxes would kill the PC? Never happened. Remember all the talk that illegal downloading would kill the movie industry? On the contrary they are making record profits.

http://www.canada.com/economy+busts+off ... story.html

One technology doesn't necessarily kill another.

SIRI is trading with the market, down from $0.16 to $0.13. It will probably continue to do so until any news. I could be wrong on this bet, it is highly speculative. I have very little riding on it, so I don't lose any sleep should I be wrong :)

Interesting article for the Huntsville clan that has ties to SIRI *and* Huntsville.

http://www.forbes.com/global/2009/0316/ ... r=yahoomag

In November 1989 Robert Baron watched a 200mph tornado ravage downtown Huntsville, Alabama, leaving 23 dead. Though he had been a meteorologist at the NBC news affiliate for 20 years, the storm had caught Baron, and his gadgets, totally off guard.

SIRI finally reports 10-K, beats estimates.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsN ... 311?rpc=44

Net loss 8 cents a share

* Revenue rose 16 pct to $622 mln vs estimate $615 mln

* Company ends 2008 with 19 million subs, up 10 pct

* Adds only 82,945 net new subs in quarter

* Shares climb to 15.7 cents from 14.9 cents after hours

NEW YORK, March 10 (Reuters) - Sirius XM Radio (SIRI.O) posted better than expected quarterly sales and a smaller loss, fueled by cost cutting and increased subscriptions for its satellite pay-radio service.

Sirius, which last week said it had completed a critical financing move that solved looming debt problems for the year, said its sales rose to $622.2 million, up 16 percent from a year ago, and outpacing analysts view of $615.5 million, according to Reuters Estimates.

Its net loss on a pro forma basis was $248.5 million, compared with a loss of $405.0 million one year.

The pro forma figures reflects the fact that Sirius last July completed its acquisition of rival XM Satellite Radio, and compares the results as if they were one single company a year ago. This was the first full quarter of combined operations.

On a per share basis, the loss was 8 cents in the 2008 quarter. Analysts had expected a loss of 7 cents a share, according to Reuters Estimates. It was not immediately clear whether the figures were comparable.

All things considered, this is pretty good. It would take some more digging, but it appears Q4 loss would have been narrower if not for many one time charges related to the merger of SIRI and XM. Profitability may still be on the table for 2009. The conference call March 12th should be interesting. If we are going to get a big move in the next couple months, it will probably start within the next few trading days.

Here's hoping...

The conference call was yesterday and it was pretty well received! The stock closed the week at $0.198 and the chart looks fantastic

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SIRI&p ... 3012595668

Highlights of the cc were cost savings from the merger finally starting to bear fruits and they will have more costs savings going forward. SIRI on a pro forma basis reported adjusted operating earnings for the first time. An official iPhone and iPod app will come from Sirius in the 2nd quarter.

Should be interesting going forward. I am currently up 80% on my small position, but I plan on holding longer as I think there is much more upside.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that people aren't indeed really after you.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/126345- ... ce=reuters

Sirius XM’s British Invasion
Yesterday was an interesting day for those invested in Sirius XM (SIRI). The stock began an amazing upswing which was met with some resistance following a Washington Post article that was written by an outfit called PaidContent.org. My initial reaction was to question who might have paid for such content to be published at that moment and I decided to look into it.

The article itself attempted to make a case for Sirius XM’s eventual demise at the hand of Internet Radio applications. The “About Us” tab at the company’s website reveals a web of media related industries. PaidContent.org is a subsidiary of ContentNext Media which is in turn owned by Guardian News And Media Limited.

My eye was then drawn to the websites sidebar, which included other business entities owned by Guardian News & Media. I was somewhat taken aback when I saw the words, GMG Radio! Clicking on that link reveals the following:

“GMG Radio is the UK’s third largest commercial radio group in terms of total listener hours. It operates 13 analogue stations and 24 digital services, primarily under the Smooth Radio, Real Radio, Century Radio and Rock Radio brands. The division also operates a number of websites.”

“GMG is a leading multimedia business. The diverse portfolio includes national and regional newspapers, websites, radio stations, magazines and B2B media. Our flagship is the Guardian newspaper and website. GMG is wholly owned by the Scott Trust.“

Guardian News is based in Santa Monica, California and New York City. The company covers the business of digital media, operating paidContent.org, mocoNews.net, contentSutra.com and paidContent:UK. The company website states the company’s belief “that in the near future, all media will be digital media.”

At this point it has become clear to me that the Washington Post is being used as a tool by this company which seems to seek its own agenda and is waging a preliminary war with Sirius XM. CMG Radio has a large established footprint in the UK and I would venture a guess that Sirius XM’s OEM contracts stand in the way of a new form of British Invasion. Although the National Association Of Broadcasters provides no member list, it’s a safe bet that Guardian News & Media is a member in good standing. I am at a loss as to why the Washington Post would allow this type of self serving “news” to be published on their well respected pages.

As I post this, SIRI is at about $0.26 in pre-market. There are some real hacket pieces out there, old media is fighting tooth and nail to kill Sirius XM, but it is not working.

In case anyone is watching, it looks like my call on SIRI was a slam dunk. PPS is now $0.33, I have almost exactly tippled my (small) position.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=siri

:banana:

I still think it can run to $1.40 in a short period of time, I will be staying long for a while. I won't post any more on this unless anyone here took interest.

crap radio can't compete with Sirius

I'll never go back to listening to terrestrial radio

I'm very interested, as I would be future finds. Unfortunately I am, and was too poor to take advantage of it.

Wayne

Wayne said:
I'm very interested, as I would be future finds. Unfortunately I am, and was too poor to take advantage of it.

Wayne

I'd recommend trying to cobble together at least a couple hundred dollars if/when you can, just to "get in the game". Nowadays there are dirt cheap online brokers. I pay $7 a trade with Scottrade, but I've seen under $3 advertised.

You know me, I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I've got a couple dozen mouths to feed so I'm just stratching and clawing to not just get by, but try to get ahead a little bit. I understand how tough it is out there, things have been scary at times in the last few years.

/me still missing Huntsville

Since there is some interest and I like to hear myself think, here it goes.

SIRI is amazingly trading up again today, currently at about $0.40. The stock is long due for a pullback and possibly a violent pullback. Nothing goes up in a straight line forever.

There was some interesting news out there last night, which I don't have links readily available (short lunch break). Sirius is preparing 2 new satelites to launch in ~2011. What for? Speculation is to go global. There are also rumors floating of a buyout, which is probably blatantly false. Auto dealers and aftermarket installers are reporting good sales and adoption of higher price tier products.

Still interesting!

cecilia said:
crap radio can't compete with Sirius

I'll never go back to listening to terrestrial radio

Agreed. I also don't see any chance of free internet radio ever toppling Sirius XM, they don't have the content. Sirius XM is cheap and the content is king.

good god! is the world coming to an end???

we actually agree on something :roflmao:

cecilia said:
good god! is the world coming to an end???

we actually agree on something :roflmao:

Red's getting soft....

Back