The Chalkboard -- Post your status updates here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simply Sara

A belated happy birthday! Also welcome back, or forward or.. well it's a kind of timey wimey sort of deal.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. And I'm the very old age of 43 now. I don't feel old, age is just a number is what my dad says, but yet he always asks for the senior citizen discount at Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, etc.

As for the "timey wimey" thing, I forget a lot of people are in different time zones or even countries, I think we are later here than in the UK because I remember having to get up wicked early as in 4AM to watch Princess Diana's wedding and also Prince William's more recently, and they were happening at like 11AM British time.

It's day two of my nine days in a row work schedule. Good thing I love this job - would love it even better if I got more than 28 hours in a work week, but that, too, will come.

cecilia

Reaction score
Sara - your 30's and 40's are the prime of your life. That's what my mother always told me and she's correct

happy birthday

S

Simply Sara

In the prime of my life, I'm a happy person, single mom of one teenager, who has a job she enjoys that is no where near the field I trained for but I'm pretty good at it. I have middle aged guys from work and friends of other coworkers in my age bracket flirting with me, not sure what to do about that. If I choose to make it the "prime of my life" and try and go with the flow also when outside of work, who knows? You never know who you'll meet if you try to be more open minded I suppose. :)

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
2015-09-07 16.07.01.png
Just sitting at the coffee shop having a half price coffee (because it's Monday and they do that here), on the last day before school starts and I have to start waking up early to drive a kid in the morning.

Spent yesterday staining a deck, the day before framing windows and today I was stripping and varathaning a bench.

On the way back home I'll ride through the forest and then give the bench a second coat.

At home I'll fix my headphones (again) and do the accounts for one of the lodges I attend. Then I have to replace the webserver that controls my pool, rewrite the control page and cgi to use websockets and fix the backlight controller on the TV.

I know I'm probably not going to get that last one done nor the giant list that I am about to need a second whiteboard to hold. Thinking about that is almost enough to spoil the coffee break ... but not quite.

Still, I'd best be getting on.

Last edited:

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
When I was younger it would have been much easier to dispose of a half a keg of beer I've ended up with after a party!

S

Simply Sara

I didn't know Fluffy had kids. I, too, recently had to get mine back to school. It's been a rocky first month for her, adjusting and all to a new set of teachers coupled with the fact that I now work on a permanent schedule, not on an as needed base, but I started work schedule this summer. As for drinking, a beer would be great about now. :) However, the most exciting I get lately is coffee (and the "break room swill" as I call the strong stuff they brew for us on a daily), but it tastes great and you can't beat the price - we can have all the free coffee, iced tea, or hot cocoa we want as long as we are in there during a break and not on their time.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
I didn't know Fluffy had kids.
Oh hey, wait. Did I say it was mine? Heh heh - aw heck no. Nope, I'm just a freewheelin' happy go lucky guy - no attachments here, nothing to tie me down. Doncha' forget it babe - I've got an image to look out for. Cha-cha!

PS - I've almost finished the keg so I hope to bring it back sometime tomorrow for the deposit. Yeah. I'm a one man party!

S

Simply Sara

No everyone, I haven't done that - although I have been asked a time or two. I know I'm over 40 and could choose to, don't get me wrong, but it's odd for me that I'm thought of as "shag worthy" to be honest. I guess the awkwardness at work maybe. I know 40(ish) isn't fatal and I'm not dead by any means, but maybe overthinking this a bit too much.

cecilia

Reaction score
personally, I think it's unprofessional to encourage any sort of intimacy with colleagues.
At work people should be all about The Job and that's it.

But then I was always very protective of my career and never wanted to risk doing anything that would mess that up.

And to be frank, it's generally the females that get the short end of the stick in any "iffy" situation at work.

S

Simply Sara

@cecilia - and that is why I am wicked hesitant about it. I don't want to be office gossip type of thing. I just like to go to work, do my job, and enjoy my day. I wouldn't want anything to make a work situation difficult so I don't plan to go there with any coworker. I honestly am glad you weighed in on it because I wondered if my thinking was off, but it isn't because you said what I was thinking. So, thank you.

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
Ehr, yes I overlooked that 'work'-part, you indeed better not mess with that :S

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Work romances are always tricky but I can point out to at least two instances where they're working fine. Co-workers (one govvie, one contractor) who have two kids together and just got married a couple of weeks ago after several years together.

The question more pertinent to your situation is, would you date him if he weren't a co-worker? If yes, then you have to ask yourself whether the employment issue is the real holdup. If no, then you have your answer irrespective of employment.

Wayne

cecilia

Reaction score
m glad you weighed in on it because I wondered if my thinking was off, but it isn't because you said what I was thinking
no problemo, I'm here all week - and full of wonderful advice anytime :D

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
And to be frank, it's generally the females that get the short end of the stick in any "iffy" situation at work.
So sad that's still the case nowadays:(

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
it's generally the females that get the short end of the stick
:confused:
That may be true but more often these days the man finds himself in the hole.

I find that it really depends on whether a complaint is made though some companies have blanket policies banning fraternization though that is as likely a violation of personal freedoms as much as anything else. In the event of a complaint a woman's complaint is more likely to be dealt with seriously than a man's complaint. If an office romance breaks down so long as it's equitable and the parties can handle things it should be OK. If one side gets all stalky then the stalky side usually gets dealt with.

Things get a bit more complicated with the executive staff who tend to get away with a lot more of every kind of thing.

cecilia

Reaction score
That may be true but more often these days the man finds himself in the hole
don't forget I'm referring to my experience which happened quite a few years ago, at this point.

back in those heady days, women had fewer options for justice

At the present time - according to rumors :) things seem to be "balancing out"

in any case, I would suggest that everyone just stay away from discussing personal stuff at an office

it's just asking for trouble and who needs that?

S

Simply Sara

Yeah, there will be no office romance situation happening. No one wants to fuel the gossip mill. At least no one over 30. The young ones, young enough to be my kid, well, they just blatantly discuss their personal lives, and someone (the boss), finally in a nice way said, in a nutshell, "No one cares, keep it to yourself."

I figure no harm in going out with a group of people occasionally, or talking after work or during a coffee break. Anyway, if I were to go out with anyone, it would be strictly platonic at this point, and it would ABSOLUTELY NOT be discussed at my workplace, whether I met the person at work or not. Discretion being the better part of valor type thing, even if I am a girl and all. Personal life personal, work life is separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.