"... TRIED TO PUT TONY BLAIR UNDER CITIZEN'S ARREST"

Robert

Reaction score
I went over to him, put my hand on his shoulder, and said, “Mr Blair, this is a citizen's arrest for a crime against peace, namely your decision to launch an unprovoked war against Iraq. I am inviting you to accompany me to a police station to answer the charge.”
What was his reaction?
He said, “No, shouldn’t you be worried about Syria?” and I replied that I can only address things that are within my grasp at any one time. Then he asked me, “But don’t you agree that Saddam was a brutal dictator and he needed to be removed?” and I replied “Not by an illegal war.” Then he started talking about how lots of people died in the 1980s. I paraphrased Robin Cook’s resignation speech and asked why we needed to go to war to remove a power we put in place, and didn’t our government and the US provide Saddam with those weapons in the first place?

What did he have to say to that?
He kept changing the subject and talking about Syria. He said, “I think you should be more concerned about Syria, to be honest.” I explained to him again that I was placing him under a citizen’s arrest because he is a war criminal, and invited him again to accompany me to the police station to answer the charges.

http://www.vice.com/read/tony-blair-citizens-arrest-tramshed

good for him (the guy making the arrest)

In this day and age, if it's not caught on video it didn't happen.

What Glaucus said.. I would find it highly doubtful that anyone could get close to even a former official and be able to lay hands on that individual. Most former officials, even governors, keep security teams in place to prevent having to be accosted by the people...

That being said, and even if the situation happened, it would be completely moronic for the person assaulting the former PM (or any former official) under the guise of a "citizen's arrest"... Best case scenario, Tony Blair accompanies the idiot to the station, the cops laugh at the idiot, lock him away for assaulting the PM, then by way of playing along, grant Tony Blair a news cycle to publicly state his case against Syria...

Wayne

there was no assault. everyone was quite polite

grant Tony Blair a news cycle to publicly state his case against Syria...

He already has as much news exposure as he wants, on subjects of his choice.

At least stunts like this serve to remind the public that he's a lying, mass-murdering bastard.

Qualifies as assault under most state and community laws...
My understanding is that in England they have something called "GBH" which is a bit more violent than a gentle tap on the shoulder

What Glaucus said.. I would find it highly doubtful that anyone could get close to even a former official and be able to lay hands on that individual. Most former officials, even governors, keep security teams in place to prevent having to be accosted by the people...

1) The guy was an employee at the place. Presumably ex PMs don't bring their own waiters. Hopefully not on the public dime at least.
2) Prime Ministers and ex-Prime Ministers are not gods, they are just regular folk who are subject to the law and if, as Tony has, they have committed crimes, they are subject to arrest and citizens arrest and provided the attempted arrest is not forceful and is carried out in good faith there really isn't any recourse for the arrestee.
3) I'm really surprised how so many people like to defend the psychopaths that take advantage of the people for their own enrichment.

Qualifies as assault under most state and community laws...
A person commits an assault if he does an act (which does not for this purpose include a mere omission to act) by which he intentionally or recklessly causes another person to apprehend immediate unlawful violence.

E.g. a verbal threat can constitute an assault. Simply placing a hand on someone's shoulder ... not necessarily assault.

Well, my point is, the guy bragging about the story is just a tool. The entire thing was a pointless stunt, and it's never -- not for a single second -- been even remotely "newsworthy", let alone interesting. It's simply a wanky poseur claiming his 15 seconds of fame...

I'm sure that Cecelia disagrees, but she does about most things involving common sense {poke} :)

Move along.

My understanding is that in England they have something called "GBH" which is a bit more violent than a gentle tap on the shoulder

We have a granular system starting with common assault (which this qualifies as), GBH, ABH, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder and then murder.

Wayne is quite correct on this one, however, common assault wont even cause a uk police officer to get out of his seat, regardless of who it was done to.

We have a granular system starting with common assault (which this qualifies as), GBH, ABH, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder and then murder.

Wayne is quite correct on this one, however, common assault wont even cause a uk police officer to get out of his seat, regardless of who it was done to.
LOL
I'm visualizing a cop looking up from his seat and saying, "feh!" and returning to his newspaper.

:lol:

Back