Two explosions went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon

Saw it on TV while in line at Tim Hortons. Got no details on it yet, but sad no matter what.

A 3rd explosion was at the JFK Library. It appears no deaths there. Right now they're treating that bomb as related.

I have to admit, the Boston Marathon is an interesting target. Yes it's on US soil, but it's also an international event - dominated by non-Americans. It is also Tax Day, but not sure how that would tie in to the marathon. The library is also a strange target (if it was a target at all).

Update: 64 injured, including several who had limbs blown off.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk HD

And it gets worse: 3 dead, 90+ wounded. At least 20 of which are now amputees

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk HD

Absolutely horrible. I hope they catch the perpetrators and hook jumper cables to their testicles until they pop like popcorn :madashell:

Saudi national reportedly arrested as suspect in Boston marathon bombing; 'drill' questions remain

The NY Post is reporting that a Saudi national has been arrested as a suspect in the Boston marathon bombing that took place today. The same paper is now reporting 12 dead, 50 injured in the bombing, representing a significant increase in fatalities over early reports.

The NY Post is also reporting, "Boston police have surveillance video of someone bringing multiple backpacks to blast site, according to CBS News."

The NY Post goes on to report something very fishy:

I have to admit, the Boston Marathon is an interesting target. Yes it's on US soil, but it's also an international event - dominated by non-Americans. It is also Tax Day, but not sure how that would tie in to the marathon. The library is also a strange target (if it was a target at all).
It's also Patriots Day

Absolutely horrible. I hope they catch the perpetrators and hook jumper cables to their testicles until they pop like popcorn :madashell:
Of course, unless the perpetrators are dead, in which case we should have respect for them.:D

I have to admit, the Boston Marathon is an interesting target. Yes it's on US soil, but it's also an international event - dominated by non-Americans.
But mostly - it's on television, and in particular, it's at the most likely to have cameras part of the course - near the finish. It seems to have been set up with the goal of hitting a lot of TV screens and ensure a big audience. Tough events like the super bowl would probably have an even greater impact it is easier to control the access points to a stadium rather than the streets of a city (not to mention it would hit the bottom line for sports teams so it would never be allowed).

But mostly - it's on television, and in particular, it's at the most likely to have cameras part of the course - near the finish. It seems to have been set up with the goal of hitting a lot of TV screens and ensure a big audience.
Well duh, of course anyone who sets off a bomb wants maximum impact. If you have your choice of targets why not pick the one with maximum impact? However, the blast itself isn't that spectacular and in this age everyone is a walking camera man. Meaning, you really don't need to plan much to make sure the full gory carnage gets picked up by the masses quickly.

Tough events like the super bowl would probably have an even greater impact it is easier to control the access points to a stadium rather than the streets of a city (not to mention it would hit the bottom line for sports teams so it would never be allowed).
"Allowed". Funny. And very predictable.

And, by any reading, true.
Ok, maybe I should ask for clarification. By "allowed" I kinda interpreted as if you feel this attack was allowed by the authorities, government, fbi, whatever. You've made statements like that before. But maybe you meant something else. So what did you mean?

Ok, maybe I should ask for clarification.
Allowed as in permitted and allowed as in failed to prevent and in either sense there is too much money in the super bowl and it would be too psychologically damaging to either permit or fail to prevent a bombing. Even if there are rogue elements in the government they would only be allowed to persist because they are working for the super rich interests that own the government therefore they wouldn't work to hurt their own bottom line.

As to this particular bombing I have no opinion and I don't really have much interest. Times are tough for terrorists these days. After 9/11 what can you do? Nutcases on SSRIs go off killing tens of people/kids from time to time and they don't even get called "terrorists", just "gunman" or "attacker" or "perpetrator" so there's a certain level you have to reach to even qualify but if you're not flying planes into buildings it's just a bit of a yawn. The bombings in Baghdad are bigger, but maybe that's because they are free. On the other hand, throwing a brick at a police car could get you labeled a terrorist.

I remember growing up in London when the IRA were trying to bring their operations across the Irish Sea. We watched out for abandoned bags on the Tube, gasped the pictures on telly, swore when they missed Thatcher, but really, you get kind of acclimatized to it and then it's boring unless it happens to you and the chances are ... it won't.

Back