Ugh... So why am I hesitating again?

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so I've come up with a business plan, taken out a Small Business Loan, and secured the funding for my startup CNC business.

So... Why am I sitting here staring at the screen with $3000 worth of equipment in my cart and hesitating?

Go.

Wayne

Trigger pulled. It was a whole lot easier to spend $3000 at 25 than 55…

Every project needs to be taken with baby steps.
Think for yourself what you reasonably can achieve within 2 days, and what within 2 weeks.

Since they're on backorder until the end of August, now I have to start designing either a table (horizontally mounted) or cabinet (vertically mounted) for it. That's the next step.

Due to limited X and Y axis space in my 20x20 garage but good Z axis space (10 foot ceilings) I'm thinking about basing a cabinet around this idea and mounting it vertically;

Waiting a response from their support team since the bigger product (just released) is so new that they haven't published dimensions for it.

Wayne

I've also got to decide. Run parallels on my mac ($80) or buy a cheapish laptop (i5 or better). Then I have to decide which software I want to run, VCarve Pro (which seems to be the predominant choice amongst youtubers) which is $600+ up front, or CarveCo Maker which is a monthly subscription fee but paid in advance for a year...

People have reported success running both under Parallels but I'm just kinda ugh at the idea of polluting my Mac Mini M1 with PC software...

Wayne

OK, so I've come up with a business plan, taken out a Small Business Loan, and secured the funding for my startup CNC business.

So... Why am I sitting here staring at the screen with $3000 worth of equipment in my cart and hesitating?

Go.

Wayne

Yeah, it's amazing how much easier it was to spend money back in the old days before everything was a constant crisis. Personally, I'd have had a hard time with taking out the small business loan. I absolutely hate signing things that make me owe money. I avoid recurring bills like the plague. Which, by the way, did you already have your business set up, or were you able to get a loan for new business?

I've also got to decide. Run parallels on my mac ($80) or buy a cheapish laptop (i5 or better). Then I have to decide which software I want to run, VCarve Pro (which seems to be the predominant choice amongst youtubers) which is $600+ up front, or CarveCo Maker which is a monthly subscription fee but paid in advance for a year...

People have reported success running both under Parallels but I'm just kinda ugh at the idea of polluting my Mac Mini M1 with PC software...

Wayne

Personally, I'd go for buying a cheap dedicated PC to control it. You don't want several thousand dollars worth of hardware to be down (or worse -- crashed in the middle of a cut) because of some obtuse M1 compatibility problem or a conflict with some unrelated software package that it was never tested with. There was a time when that sort of thing would have been an interesting problem. That time is long passed for me, at least.

Back