Yorkshire shops bleach food to stop homeless foraging

Sad state of affairs:

You know what the homeless problem is, right? They bring down property values. If you don't feed them then maybe they will go away or better yet die (but out of sight, of course).
It's like those "don't feed the homeless" laws and anti sleeping on park bench statutes etc. Making the vagrants move on is more popular than fixing the problem.

In Alberta, many moons back, the Premier Ralph Klein gave the homeless one way bus tickets to B.C. Alberta awash in oil money and the best they could do was ship the poor to another province.

It's like those "don't feed the homeless" laws and anti sleeping on park bench statutes etc. Making the vagrants move on is more popular than fixing the problem.

Well, it's always easier to hide the problem than fix it. Though the homeless taking up residence in certain areas also creates new problems of it's own. There are plenty of reasons why it makes sense to disperse them.

What I can't fathom is why you'd "treat" the food with bleach, when you could treat it by anonymous donation to a local soup kitchen a week or so before the expiration. I'm pretty damn sure you could find a few local ones that would take it.

What I can't fathom is why you'd "treat" the food with bleach, when you could treat it by anonymous donation to a local soup kitchen a week or so before the expiration. I'm pretty damn sure you could find a few local ones that would take it.
That's what Panera does that here and one of the reasons we love to eat there.

from the comments:

"I always remember Abbotsford as a good christian community. Not much seems to have changed has it?"

:lol:

Meanwhile, food bank use in the UK has skyrocketed, financial assistance has been slashed and I don't think that there has been a single new council house built within the terms of the last two governments.

When I was homeless I was in real trouble, even with all the things put in place to help, now many of those things are gone. I suspect if I was homeless today I'd likely end up as a statistic.

Yay for the " big society"..

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk HD

Back