You're under arrest. That will be $30.

So in NY they profile black people driving cars, and white people riding in cars, but not Islamic extremists. ... hmmmm
Not so. They profile ALL MUSLIMS as Islamic extremists. They like to be thorough.

Herein lies my hatred and distrust of big government...

Herein lies my hatred and distrust of big government...
It's not government per se, it's the idiots we keep electing. What annoys me the most is that they haggle about the money not the principle. Getting arrested is NOT a service to the arrestee, it's a service to the community (even if it's a false one or mistaken one).
But these people are arguing about whether $30 is a lot of money. Well it isn't for them, but it is for a single mom, a homeless person or an unemployed person. However, $30 dollars to get arrested is a deal, but 10 cents on a coffee to pay the barista is outrageous.
If they wanted to be fair about it they should put the arrest fee on a sliding scale based on ability to pay. Arrest the broke homeless guy, that will be a free service. Then make the fee $30 for someone who makes $30,000 a year so basically 0.1% of annual income. People who make $500,000 a year would pay $500 etc. It'd be interesting to see if arrest patterns change. Maybe someone would finally see fit to arrest some of those high finance guys who defrauded the country and crashed the system. I'm sure there would even be a bonus in it for the officer that brought in the first $1,000,000 arrest fee. (That would be the same amount of money as arresting 30,000 "average" people).

Back