Zealots starved infant to death

I don't agree with the conviction, it's the wrong charge. They should have been convicted of some lesser offence. Murder is the crime in which you deliberately cause someone to die because you want them to be dead. I'm not sure how the prosecution made that case or how the judge bought it. Perhaps the diet was inadequate, perhaps the baby just got sick and they waited too long. Maybe they thought the kid would get better and they felt they couldn't afford extra trips to the doctor. The mother claims breast milk was part of the diet, that is something that would not leave much evidence, I suppose.

It also seems that the medical team responsible for postpartum follow up was delinquent in this area. Or maybe that's only the kind of medical care you get in countries with communistic healthcare systems.

It's still not murder beyond a reasonable doubt. They must have had crap defense. Probably wouldn't be going to jail if they were white.

Odd, I seem to remember you arguing the opposite when the parents were following some fringe christian relious beliefs.

Odd, I seem to remember you arguing the opposite when the parents were following some fringe christian relious beliefs.

If I did I was wrong. Murder is when you intend for someone to die and you succeed in killing them. If a person dies because someone was responsible for trying to keep them alive but was too stupid to manage it, that is also a crime, but it is not murder. I think the mere fact that they finally brought the baby to the hospital indicated that they did not want this child to die. I think that the fact they were feeding the baby (even though inappropriately) shows that they were not trying to kill the child. There are quicker was to get rid if a kid than feeding it soy for six weeks.

Back