This kind of crap is taught in US schools?

What should be taught in school?

• The 3 R's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Getting in touch with ones feelings

• A bit of both

• Feminism, emotions, deep breathing, saving trees, and rights for insects and other animals, but none

• Total voters

iforgotmypassword

New User
Reaction score
(Not sure if this post is most appropriate for Politics, General, or Philosophy/Religion...)

Are classes focusing too much on emotion, moral reletivism, and greenpeace?

Look at the following as an example of what is (supposedly) commonly taught in USA schools, these days. Take a look at this scenario:

If you rob a bank, yes, you may come away with a sizable sum of money.
But there's a high probability you'll get caught and go to prison for a spell.
And you may have to hurt some folks in the bargain.
Hurting other people may make you feel bad.
Plus, prison is not an especially nice place to be.
So you'll want to carefully weigh your feelings on robbing that bank.

People take this seriously!

After that, the students are ment to sit around and discuss(and encouraged to use emotional terms) this crap!

WTF?

(Not sure if this post is most appropriate for Politics, General, or Philosophy/Religion...)

Look at the following as an example of what is (supposedly) commonly taught in USA schools, these days. Take a look at this scenario:

After that, the students are ment to sit around and discuss(and encouraged to use emotional terms) this crap!

WTF?

WTF?

WTF?

WTF?

WTF?

I'm sure theres a perfectly sound and reasonable explanation into why this isn't utter bollocks, thought up by possessors of theology and philosophy that haven't left the campus in decades (Or worse, by students that haven't yet lived in the real world).

But I'm buggered if I can see it, being the undeducated prole that I am.

I'm sure theres a perfectly sound and reasonable explanation into why this isn't utter bollocks, thought up by possessors of theology and philosophy that haven't left the campus in decades (Or worse, by students that haven't yet lived in the real world).

iforgotmypassword said:
The sad fact is, most schools worldwide (but yes, in particular the US) don't actually teach anything any more. They're simply social gatherings with a bit of learning thrown in. With respect to the job they do, the teachers themselves have been turned into little more than babysitters, expected to literally raise the children so their parents don't have to face those "tough little questions".

The notable exception is Japan, where their high school is more akin to our graduate level college and if you don't cut it, you're out and your life is predetermined for you as a laborer. Not saying that's a better way, but when kids graduate from High School without knowing how to read, and people protest against actually testing the teachers to make sure they know what they're teaching, something is desperately and utterly wrong.

Wayne

iforgotmypassword said:
The sad fact is, most schools worldwide (but yes, in particular the US) don't actually teach anything any more. They're simply social gatherings with a bit of learning thrown in. With respect to the job they do, the teachers themselves have been turned into little more than babysitters, expected to literally raise the children so their parents don't have to face those "tough little questions".

The notable exception is Japan, where their high school is more akin to our graduate level college and if you don't cut it, you're out and your life is predetermined for you as a laborer. Not saying that's a better way, but when kids graduate from High School without knowing how to read, and people protest against actually testing the teachers to make sure they know what they're teaching, something is desperately and utterly wrong.

Wayne

iforgotmypassword said:

Wayne

iforgotmypassword said:

Wayne

iforgotmypassword said:

Wayne

iforgotmypassword said:

Wayne

The UK's schools haven't yet gone down this route, but there are specific classes that were being created purely to explore this sort of crap, maths, science and english are slipping standards wise, but are still pure (if limited) educational classes.

I can't remember what they called these classes, but they brought them in the year I left for the real world. Such strenuous topics such as "write a poem" to which my teacher got the written reply "I don't do poetry, prose or other such crap, but thanks for the extra hour you've just given me to complete my science coursework" :wink:

Got a B grade for that :D

But it was a load of old cobblers, and tbh the topics covered were so mind numbingly innane that I can't remember any of them outside of that poetry one, in fact the only thing I can remember is that when that class came about, I was able to complete all coursework and homework given to me during the week without it leaving school property (I used to do the majority of it during break and lunch hours). What? Do school work at home? Are you quite mad?

Whoever keeps comming up with this shit needs shooting.. twice.. in the head.. with an elephant gun.. at point blank range.

The UK's schools haven't yet gone down this route, but there are specific classes that were being created purely to explore this sort of crap, maths, science and english are slipping standards wise, but are still pure (if limited) educational classes.

I can't remember what they called these classes, but they brought them in the year I left for the real world. Such strenuous topics such as "write a poem" to which my teacher got the written reply "I don't do poetry, prose or other such crap, but thanks for the extra hour you've just given me to complete my science coursework" :wink:

Got a B grade for that :D

But it was a load of old cobblers, and tbh the topics covered were so mind numbingly innane that I can't remember any of them outside of that poetry one, in fact the only thing I can remember is that when that class came about, I was able to complete all coursework and homework given to me during the week without it leaving school property (I used to do the majority of it during break and lunch hours). What? Do school work at home? Are you quite mad?

Whoever keeps comming up with this shit needs shooting.. twice.. in the head.. with an elephant gun.. at point blank range.

Back