A visit to the bakery...

adz

ಠ_ಠ
Reaction score
Righto, I am quite partial to a good Boston Bun smothered with butter...

What about you guys, what's your favourite bakery treat?

is that just a large round finger bun?

Tonight i had dark chocolate mousse thingy. You know the stuff that comes in the same 200g yoghurt containers in pairs from coles? :)

I had 6! And now i feel like :(

Righto, I am quite partial to a good Boston Bun smothered with butter...

What about you guys, what's your favourite bakery treat?

I'm not really a sweets person and less so with every passing year. I'd have to say plain cake donuts with a cup of coffee.

I'm not really a sweets person and less so with every passing year. I'd have to say plain cake donuts with a cup of coffee.

I know what you mean, but I also know the day I find a caramel slice too sweet is the time to end it all. :D

Well, my dad owned a bakery for a number of decades, so I pretty much had years to try everything out and narrow it down to one tasty treat. However, it turns out there's never enough time and the evaluation process continues! :D

I'd have to say some of my favorites were those items "off the menu", so to speak. The Mille Feuille cake was probably the most popular cake he made for special occasions, but my favorite was a simpler cake with layers of white cake drenched in apricot liquor and smothered in butter cream. Good stuff. Another favorite was the Nougatina that he made, not too chocolaty but still very rich.

And then of course there were those items he made exclusively for our family. Bougatsa, which we had for breakfast on the weekends and of course the loukoumades (made the Northern Greece way: deep fried dough balls, then dunked in syrup and optionally also dunked in Nutella). So ya, I was pretty fat as a kid.

Ok, as for stuff on the menu, I'd probably have to say a typical doughnut taken straight out of the deep fryer and thrown into a vat of sugar and cinnamon. It's almost as good as the loukoumades. But aside from that, I would typically go for the date squares. I love dates and rolled oats, so the two combined are unbeatable. And they're almost healthy to boot! So ya, good stuff.

sweet bakery treat is not something I look forward to. Every time I am a store or mall that serve soft pretzel. I gotta have one. Any varieties of pretzel will satisfying me.

Well, my dad owned a bakery for a number of decades...

I know what you mean Mike. My grandfather (mother's side of the family) was a baker for all of his working years. It does explain why I tend to be picky about pastry items... :)

As for me, I love plain cake doughnuts, krustenwegs (rolls with rock hard shell and soft, dense dough inside) and REAL Key Lim Pie. The last one is really hard to find as most bakers mistakenly think Key Lime Pie is sweet.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

sweet bakery treat is not something I look forward to. Every time I am a store or mall that serve soft pretzel. I gotta have one. Any varieties of pretzel will satisfying me.
That's because most of the general stuff in food stores are waaaay too sweet. I prefer to get my baked goods from a real bakery. You know, bakeries which use real lemon and real high quality cinnamon (and other spices). Lots of sugar alone is just yuck.

Bougatsa, which we had for breakfast on the weekends and of course the loukoumades (made the Northern Greece way: deep fried dough balls, then dunked in syrup and optionally also dunked in Nutella). So ya, I was pretty fat as a kid.

Dunno about having them for breakfast, but Karlos introduced me to Galub Jamun, which seem pretty similar in terms of what they're made of and how they're prepared. I should note that since that time I have introduced said sweet to the rest of the family where it has been a major hit.

Dunno about having them for breakfast, but Karlos introduced me to Galub Jamun, which seem pretty similar in terms of what they're made of and how they're prepared. I should note that since that time I have introduced said sweet to the rest of the family where it has been a major hit.
Just to be clear, my dad made the bougatsa the traditional way, which is by hand. It's actually pretty amazing to watch. The dough itself is very basic, just flower, water, salt and lard. Take the ball of dough, roll it out as much as you can, then pick up the dough and kinda swirl it up in the air, over your head and back down again (not like a pizza, more like a lasso - hard to explain). Smooth motion is required. I've tried it a few times and I end up messing it up pretty good. My dad could get the dough to cover a giant table (say 10' x 5') using this method. At this point the dough is transparent and thinner then the traditional phyllo pastry often used for things like baklava. Once it gets to that point, he puts lard or shortening in clumps all around, then folds up the dough to the size of a sheet of paper (11"x 8"). Inside you can place some special custard creme or meet or cheese or nothing at all if you prefer to just eat flaky, greesy dough (that was my fav when I was a kid). Totally not good for you, which is why we don't really eat that anymore. Ever since my dad sold the bakery we really hadn't had that, although he's found other ways to make the dough but it's not the same. There is however a Greek bakery in Toronto (Athens Pastries on Danforth Street) that still makes it the old fashion way and gets my dad's approval.

As for the Galub Jamun, ya, those are like loukoumades but with rose water and honey. There's a place in town that makes those. Not bad, but I'm not crazy about the rose water.

<snipped due to me not reading Glaucus's post properly>

The bougatsa does sound very, very tasty :D

Deep fried dough. I'm sure every culture has some form of it. Can't go wrong with fat, starch and sugar. Yum. :D

Deep fried dough. I'm sure every culture has some form of it. Can't go wrong with fat, starch and sugar. Yum. :D
It's not just dough, it contains very much yeast and a bit buckwheat, and eventually beer.

I am also quite partial to Tulumba from that part of the world, given that my wife is from the Balkan states...

Edit...I can't believe I said Baltic, must have that on the brain given what I'm studying at the moment...

I am also quite partial to Tulumba from that part of the world, given that my wife is from the Baltic states...
Ah I can get those in a Turkish shop in my city, together with Baklava. Uber sweet and one shouldn't eat more than 2 or 3.

Ah I can get those in a Turkish shop in my city, together with Baklava. Uber sweet and one shouldn't eat more than 2 or 3.

Yes, they are indeed uber sweet and I never have more than two or three in one sitting ;) The wife made some awesome Baklava recently, the nicest I've had yet, although I'm a tad biased :)

Back