AmigaOS 4.1 Update 3 Released

Not if you have a 16x16 firewire mixer :D

Well, I was referring to the shortcomings of an amiga-centric system, one of which is the inability to utilise things like firewire mixers.

If you look up the thread you'll see that I already use a firewire mixer and Logic.

@Red
Back onto the original topic. I'll have a go at installing the update tonight if I get the chance and give you the straight dope on know how it goes. If not tonight, probably the weekend :)

@Red
Back onto the original topic. I'll have a go at installing the update tonight if I get the chance and give you the straight dope on know how it goes. If not tonight, probably the weekend :)

No rush, I am just curious. From what I have read, mostly on Moob, it seems to be a nightmare kludge.

No rush, I am just curious. From what I have read, mostly on Moob, it seems to be a nightmare kludge.

I read the same threads, one recurring theme seems to be that people have had obsolete/incompatible MUI libraries kicking around directly in LIBS: and the installer only updates MUI:Libs, which to be fair is the correct and proper location. My guess is that at least the MUI related issues are likely down to the manual (?) installation of third party components or apps copied over from an old partition. If this is true, then it's not really an OS4 issue, per se. Dare I say, user error?

At least one satisfied user made a video of her (?) installation. Apologies to DrHirudo if she's actually a he, but the voiceover definitely sounds a bit feminine to me :)

Well, I was referring to the shortcomings of an amiga-centric system, one of which is the inability to utilise things like firewire mixers.

If you look up the thread you'll see that I already use a firewire mixer and Logic.

What about MorphOS 2.7 on PPC Mac? A lot of those machines had firewire, no?

What about MorphOS 2.7 on PPC Mac? A lot of those machines had firewire, no?

I have a PPC Mac - an iBook.
As far as I'm aware there is still no version of MorphOS thart runs on an iBook.

And no, I'm not about to buy *yet another* Mac (I already have three) just to run MorphOS, when I already have a Pegasos which hasn't been switched on this year.

And even if there were a version that ran on an iBook, drivers for my Yamaha mixer (or my M-Audio Ozonic, which is also FW) would be somewhat of a showstopper, I'm afraid.

Right, the time has come to install Update 3 on the A1.

Step 1: Read the installation instructions:

Important info gleaned already:

1) Archive extraction requires that file attributes are not mauled. Recommendation is to use UnArc (or one could ensure they use the -a attribute if using LhA).
2) Only an installation over Update 2 will work.

Step 2: Make a backup of my existing OS partition!

u3_first.jpg

A quick "copy clone DH0:#? all Work:Backup/OS4.1.2/"... in progress

Step 3: Extract and run the installer...

u3_2.jpg

Total time to extract and install, about 30 seconds or so?

Step 4. Reboot...
u3_3.jpg

After rebooting, I renamed the partition as "OS4.1.3" and fixed one issue this causes with a preferences program trying to load an image from the absolute OS4.1.2:prefs/Presets... that I'd previously selected.

Checked out some of the reported shenanigans, like time preferences not working with remote NTP servers or other problems.

So far, nothing. Will have to find something to test the USB with next.

Other things to note. Everything came right back up after the reboot, including my mounted network shares.

Ok, I plugged my 16GB Pretec "Ultimate Guard" pen drive into the A1's USB. All good, even given the ludicrous "superfloppy" format:

u3_4.jpg

Everything good so far, not experienced any bother. Will have to try it on the A1200 next...

Everything good so far, not experienced any bother. Will have to try it on the A1200 next...

Do you have a ton of programs installed on these systems? I know you are an active user and programmer, but on these particular boxes? It seems (maybe?) the people having problems are the ones who actually use the system on a regular basis and the ones who have a breeze are the ones who install, admire the update and shut the system down until the next update.

Do you have a ton of programs installed on these systems? I know you are an active user and programmer, but on these particular boxes? It seems (maybe?) the people having problems are the ones who actually use the system on a regular basis and the ones who have a breeze are the ones who install, admire the update and shut the system down until the next update.

Well, the A1 is mainly for development and OS4 native applications. However, there are a quite a few legacy applications on there too, some of which may be visible on the screenshots, though I do try to keep that desktop a bit clutter free.

I also took the potentially unusual move long ago to create a subdirectory in my system partition with it's own collection of C, Libs, Classes etc. all of which are assigned along with the originals in my user-startup. Any 68K installs I do on that machine that require custom resources to be installed put them in those directories rather than getting stuff mashed together in the original directories. I guess it is a bit like the MorphOS approach, but inside-out. Instead of having a MOSSYS: with everything outside that being mixed/legacy, I have the inverse scenario. Either way, proper segregation leads to a more stable system if you ask me.

The A1200 is a different kettle of fish. It's very much steeped in legacy stuff as it also runs 3.1, 3.5 and 3.9 and has many legacy applications. However, the 4.1 install obeys the same rules as the A1 as far as the directory structure goes.

I am anticipating some potential issues with the latter, not the least of which due to the fact it has unreleased versions of drivers on it that I'm working on and other beta components.

I just downloaded the MUI-OWB port. Will have a go on that later.

The A1200 has now been updated to Update 3, again without any issues so far.

Just for giggles, I've installed MUI-OWB. The first time you run it, it does some processing on the installed fonts that will be used. Whatever it is doing, it is taking it's sweet time :)

I got all nostalgic just looking at your pictures Karlos. :banana:

Out of interest, how much does it cost to upgrade from 4.0?

I got all nostalgic just looking at your pictures Karlos. :banana:

Out of interest, how much does it cost to upgrade from 4.0?

As far as I know, there's no upgrade price but you'd need to check that. IIRC, I paid around 100 UKP from AmigaKit. Not cheap, but then other than UAE/AROS Amiga hobbies cost :)

Back