Another mass shooting

Around one school shooting for every 2.5 days. Depressing stuff.

Misleading statistic as the majority of them either parking lot suicides, outside school grounds, or stray bullets from off campus that injured no one. The real statistic that everyone would agree fits the term "school shooter", is 4 incidents so far in 2018 or 5 if you include a single shot fired inside with no injuries.

But hey, if they throw out numbers people will believe them and it furthers their narrative.

Misleading statistic as the majority of them either parking lot suicides, outside school grounds, or stray bullets from off campus that injured no one.

Even with your figures (which I haven't checked*) it still works out that for every three days that pass, more than one of the things you describe occurs at or near a school.
That remains depressing stuff.

On the bright side, AR-15s have never been more popular and "thoughts and prayers" figures are through the roof.

*EDIT:
Here's a list from the ITV website:
  • January 3: At the start of the year a 31-year-old man shot and killed himself at a school in Michigan.
  • January 4: A bullet went through a window at New Start High School in Washington state but nobody was hurt.
  • January 10: A student committed suicide at Coronado Elementary School in Arizona and was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
  • January 10: A shot was fired at a window at California State University but no one was struck by the bullet.
  • January 10: A bullet was fired through a wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Centre in Texas, but no one was injured.
  • January 15: At Wiley College Campus a bullet went into a dorm room but no injuries were reported.
  • January 20: Najee Ali Baker, a student at Wake Forest University, was mortally wounded after being shot following a fight on campus.
  • January 22: A 16-year-old targeted a girl a year younger in the cafeteria of Italy High School, Texas. The victim was injured but survived the incident.
  • January 22: A 14-year-old boy suffered a flesh wound in the parking lot of a New Orleans high school.
  • January 23: Two people were killed and 14 injured at a Kentucky school. Bailey Nicole Holt and Preston Ryan Cope were fatally injured during the shooting for which a 15-year-old student was arrested for.
  • January 25: A student at Murphy High School in Alabama opened fire on the school's grounds but did not injure anyone.
  • January 26: Gunshots were fired from a car in the Dearborn High School car park in Michigan.
  • January 31: A fight at Lincoln High School resulted in a 32-year-old father of eight being shot dead. Three separate weapons were used in the incident.
  • February 1: A 12-year-old girl was arrested after taking a loaded gun into Salvador B. Castro Middle School in California. The gun went off accidentally, shooting a 15-year-old boy in the head and a girl of the same age in the wrist but both are expected to recover from their injuries.
  • February 5: Two teenagers were charged with attempted murder after a 17-year-old was shot twice in the chest while in a car on the Oxon Hill High School grounds.
  • February 5: During a school event at the Harmony Learning Centre a child reach into a police officer's holster and pulled the trigger on his gun. No one was hurt.
  • February 8: No one was injured when a teenager fired a shot at the Metropolitan High School in New York.
  • February 14: At least 17 people died when a gunman opened fire with an assault rifle at the Parkland school in Florida.
I find the above thoroughly depressing.

Last edited:
why wasn't this kid sent to a therapist?

And where was the responsible gun owner who allowed him easy access to weapons? All the responsible gun owners I know keep their guns locked up when not in use or carrying them. And they sure don't let an unhinged kids touch them.

There are deeper questions than this, but he was an adult and the gun was legally purchased. Apparently everyone knew he would do this, including the FBI themselves. The FBI decided not to do anything whatsoever, they let this happen.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...school-shooter-plans-months-article-1.3822163
Nikolas Cruz said he wanted to be 'professional school shooter' to YouTube blogger months ago

FBI agents were warned about Nikolas Cruz’s plans to become a “professional school shooter” months ago, according to a YouTube vlogger who noticed a sick comment on one of his videos.

Ben Bennight, a bail bondsman in Mississippi who goes by the name Ben the Bondsman, said that he received a terrifying comment from a user called Nikolas Cruz under a video in September.

“This comment said ‘I’m going to be a professional school shooter” and I knew that I couldn’t just ignore that,” he said.

Bennight said that he flagged the comment to YouTube and also sent a screenshot to the FBI, who visited him briefly in September and asked him whether he knew the poster.

The blogger said that he was contacted again by agents from both the Missisippi and Miami field offices after Cruz took an AR-15 into his Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

article-fbi-3-0214.jpg

A lawyer for the family Cruz was staying with after the death of his adoptive mother said that he had purchased his gun legally, despite worries about his mental health, a social media obsession with weapons and posts about killing animals.

BTW this is just one red flag, but the biggest. Locally the news are reporting that students who knew him when he went to school there said they all knew he'd be the one to be a school shooter. The red flags were everywhere. But the biggest question falls at the feet of the FBI. They had smoking gun evidence this would happen and yet decided to stand down. Why?

Even with your figures (which I haven't checked) it still works out that for every three days that pass, more than one of the things you describe occurs at or near a school.
That remains depressing stuff.

Check it out for yourself.

These are all the school shootings that have taken place so far in 2018

Jan 3 - A 31-year-old man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the former school’s parking lot.

Jan 4 - A gunshot was fired at the New Start High School in Seattle, Wash. The round entered an office window and ended up lodged in a three-ring binder. No one was injured.

Jan 10 - At least one shot was fired, shattering a California State University classroom window. No injuries were reported.

Jan 10 - A bullet was accidentally fired through a classroom wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center. No one was injured.

Jan 22 - A shooting outside The NET Charter High School injured a 14-year-old boy.

Feb 5 - A third-grader pulled the trigger on a cop's gun, firing a shot at the Harmony Learning Center. No one was injured.

Do any of those sound like the classification for "school shooter"? Also keep in mind there are well over 100,000 schools in the US.

This one has me scratching my head though.

An accidental shooting injured five children at the Salvador B. Castro Middle School in downtown Los Angeles.

How does an accidental shooting injure 5?

Last edited:
Do any of those sound like the classification for "school shooter"?

That's your term.
The term originally posted by Fluffy was "school shooting". (note the subtle but important difference)
If you take school shooting to mean a shooting either at or very near to a school then all of the above qualify.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-things-to-know-about-mass-shootings-in-america/

#6: BACKGROUND CHECKS WORK
In most restrictive background checks performed in developed countries, citizens are required to train for gun handling, obtain a license for hunting or provide proof of membership to a shooting range.

Individuals must prove that they do not belong to any “prohibited group,” such as the mentally ill, criminals, children or those at high risk of committing violent crime, such as individuals with a police record of threatening the life of another.

Here’s the bottom line. With these provisions, most US active shooters would have been denied the purchase of a firearm.

The real statistic that everyone would agree fits the term "school shooter", is 4 incidents so far in 2018 or 5 if you include a single shot fired inside with no injuries.

That is an amazing sentence...

Classy as ever.
Or at least pragmatic.
Or we could just have more pervasive government surveillance of individuals and direct state intervention without the involvement of the local community.

Or at least pragmatic.
Or we could just have more pervasive government surveillance of individuals and direct state intervention without the involvement of the local community.
That implies that the solution is either one or the other, which is such a nonsensical false dichotomy that I guess you meant something else.

The president implies it was neighbours and the school kids themselves that let this happen:

Classy as ever.

Did they report? I know the Youtube vlogger did, and the FBI did not follow up. I did not watch his speech.

Misleading statistic as the majority of them either parking lot suicides, outside school grounds, or stray bullets from off campus that injured no one. The real statistic that everyone would agree fits the term "school shooter", is 4 incidents so far in 2018 or 5 if you include a single shot fired inside with no injuries.

But hey, if they throw out numbers people will believe them and it furthers their narrative.

Back