Anyone on Facebook?

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I admit, it's silly, but this last weekend, my sister got me addicted to Facebook and some of the games on there (not to mention my penchant for button making)...

Trouble is, Kermit and I are playing "mob wars" and we've gotten to a point where we can't really progress until we can recruit some friends to play along with us (fellow mob members).

As such, if you're on Facebook already, or want to join, let me know so I can beg you to jump in with us so we can whack some thugs. I'm tired of losing because we're only 3 people deep :(

Wayne

Wayne said:
Ok, I admit, it's silly, but this last weekend, my sister got me addicted to Facebook and some of the games on there (not to mention my penchant for button making)...

Wayne
Does she often drink this stuff?:

BacardiBreezer01.2.JPG

/me hides

I'm on FB, but I hate playing games...i've been invited to these things and i just have no ambition to play.

I do like the Dexter club.....love that show.

sorry, I guess I suck :roflmao:

I'm there too. Mostly just to stay in touch with friends, don't play games. The only app on my profile is the Daily Babe, which is usually the main motivator to login every day. :) That and to keep track of the Fair Copyright for Canada group.

Koobface Virus Still Making The Rounds On Facebook

Robin Wauters
TechCrunch.com
Friday, December 5, 2008; 2:56 AM
Yesterday, reports started circulating about a virulent piece of worm spreading through Facebook. The malicious code isn't exactly new (it started surfacing in August), but has now been altered to strike social networking websites only and is currently making the rounds on Facebook pretty quickly, it seems. The virus can spread fast because they travel through messages which appear to come from your friends.

The Koobface messages carry subject lines like "You look so funny on our new video" or something similar, and contain a link to a video site that appears to contain a movie clip. If the user tries to watch it, a message appears saying that he or she needs the latest version of Flash Player in order to play the clip. This tricks users into downloading a file carrying the malware. An earlier version of the virus targeted MySpace users earlier this year but was quickly eliminated after new security measures were put in place.

Facebook only says on their Security page that users should use the latest antivirus software and change their password if they've been affected. The company also appears to be resetting passwords pro-actively and notifying users per e-mail about the possibility of having a virus on board. It's unclear how many of the social network's 120+ million users have been hit with the virus.

Best advice remains never to open unexpected e-mail attachments to reduce the risk of infection, even if they come from people you trust.

link

I joined it after some serious badgering from a friend but have never got time to use it to any extent other than answer messages, etc.

I can't upload my tunes to it so it's not been particularly useful.

Best advice remains never to open unexpected e-mail attachments to reduce the risk of infection, even if they come from people you trust.

Really, the best advice SHOULD be to make sure you keep current on your security updates, and don't install unsigned and unvalidated software from random sources. Even if they claim to be an Adobe Flash update. :-P If you really want to update Flash (which is a good idea, outdated versions of Flash have a LOT of security problems...), download the signed executable installer from Adobe yourself. It only takes a few a few brain cells to avoid this nonsense.

Wayne said:
As such, if you're on Facebook already, or want to join, let me know so I can beg you to jump in with us so we can whack some thugs. I'm tired of losing because we're only 3 people deep :(

Wayne

Me too. I searched for Wayne Hunt but there's more than >300 to pick from...

BTW anyone here on Linkedin?

minator said:
Wayne said:

Wayne

Me too. I searched for Wayne Hunt but there's more than >300 to pick from...

BTW anyone here on Linkedin?

Check by e-mail address (my amiga.org one?)

I am also on Linked in, as are most senior Amiga party members. :)

Wayne

cecilia said:
Koobface Virus Still Making The Rounds On Facebook

I am wearing my cloak of invincibility

We call it....

Ubuntu !!

There are viruses in many different flavours...

Too true. People should be examining their operating procedures more than their operating systems. No OS can (or should) save you from yourself.

All very true..

But to get anywhere to cause any grief Root access must be asked & given.

Still... There's no accounting for user stupidity.

ScapeGoat said:
But to get anywhere to cause any grief Root access must be asked & given.

This is not true, and it's because OSs are not designed to protect you.

If a virus managed to get onto a a web page (an increasingly common technique) it has the possibility of attacking your browser. If it can attack the browser and execute code it can say, delete the contents of your home directory. You're screwed, no root access required.

There is a technique called per-process security that desktops do not implement. If they did the above attack would not work as the compromised browser would not be able to get to anything.

Too true. People should be examining their operating procedures more than their operating systems. No OS can (or should) save you from yourself.

Computers are sold to all sorts of people who have no idea how they work, and probably never will. The OS can't work miracles but it should certainly do all in it's power to protect you. There's no excuse for them not to.

Why would my computer be screwed if the contents of /Home were deleted ?

I'd certainly be pissed off but the computer would still work hunky dory.

Btw.. Your'd better tell them that over HERE

ScapeGoat said:
Why would my computer be screwed if the contents of /Home were deleted ?

I'd certainly be pissed off but the computer would still work hunky dory.

A computer isn't much use without data...

Anyway virus writers don't even want to do that, they just want to monitor your keystrokes to get you bank details and/or turn you PC into a bot for attacking or spamming. Neither of these require root access.

Even if it did all the hacker has to do is find a crack to enable it, given the number of errors in software that's not terribly difficult.

Computers are sold to all sorts of people who have no idea how they work, and probably never will.
Very true... The interesting question is WHY we allow this to happen. There are other tools you can't legally operate without a license. Would it necessarily be a bad thing to have general use computers be licensed?

The OS can't work miracles but it should certainly do all in it's power to protect you. There's no excuse for them not to.
Certainly, the OS should be transparent enough that a user can figure out what is going on. Windows could certainly use some work here. (And that may be an understatement of the month.)

Taken to it's logical end, though, I don't believe the OS should do all in it's power to protect me. The only way a system can be secured against user error would be with a rule that the computer will only run signed and authorized code. Suddenly it's no longer my computer. I have a real problem with that endgame.

ilwrath said:
Computers are sold to all sorts of people who have no idea how they work, and probably never will.
Very true... The interesting question is WHY we allow this to happen. There are other tools you can't legally operate without a license. Would it necessarily be a bad thing to have general use computers be licensed?

The things that are licensed are generally dangerous, getting the license requires the user to learn how to use the equipment and show they can use it and not injure other people.

You do not need a license to use a washing machine or oven, why should a computer be any different?

[quote:2xmay6g7]The OS can't work miracles but it should certainly do all in it's power to protect you. There's no excuse for them not to.
Certainly, the OS should be transparent enough that a user can figure out what is going on. Windows could certainly use some work here. (And that may be an understatement of the month.)

Taken to it's logical end, though, I don't believe the OS should do all in it's power to protect me. The only way a system can be secured against user error would be with a rule that the computer will only run signed and authorized code. Suddenly it's no longer my computer. I have a real problem with that endgame.[/quote:2xmay6g7]

No, signing proves nothing. WindowsXP only runs signed drivers, it didn't help one little bit.

No, the problem is that OS and software providers don't take security or reliability seriously enough. They ship products too early and leave us to suffer the consequences.

Back