Bizarro News

Would've been Bizarro a few years ago. Perhaps not in today's climate but still raised a smile.

Church of England is considering gender-neutral terms. No more Our Father?

This sort of thing really annoys me and not because I've got a position staked out except that I'm against entryism as a tactic. If you think you've got a better way then fork. Split off and form your own sect and if you have the "better" way then people will follow. Don't take over something that already has it's followers and force your religion on them.

This sort of thing really annoys me and not because I've got a position staked out except that I'm against entryism as a tactic. If you think you've got a better way then fork. Split off and form your own sect and if you have the "better" way then people will follow. Don't take over something that already has it's followers and force your religion on them.
I agree up to a point, in that it's a bit jump-on-the-bandwagon-then-hijack-it. OTOH, that particular brand of Christianity has reactively adapted to perceived cultural mores many times before. e.g. It wasn't that long ago female vicars were first allowed, or homosexuality becoming more accepted.

I agree up to a point, in that it's a bit jump-on-the-bandwagon-then-hijack-it. OTOH, that particular brand of Christianity has reactively adapted to perceived cultural mores many times before. e.g. It wasn't that long ago female vicars were first allowed, or homosexuality becoming more accepted.
Those two things are oddly related. I wasn't really onboard with female vicars either because it took jobs away from homosexuals who have long been a part of the clergy. Homosexuality has recently become more publicly accepted, but it was always there as many an altar boy can attest.

Worm’s rear end develops its own head, wanders off to mate​

The butt even grows its own eyes, antennae, and brain.​

Three images of worm-like organisms.

From left to right, the head of an actual worm, and the stolon of a male and female.
Nakamura et. al.
Some do it horizontally, some do it vertically, some do it sexually, and some asexually. Then there are some organisms that would rather grow a butt that develops into an autonomous appendage equipped with its own antennae, eyes, and brain. This appendage will detach from the main body and swim away, carrying gonads that will merge with those from other disembodied rear ends and give rise to a new generation.
Wait, what in the science fiction B-movie alien star system is this thing?
Megasyllis nipponica
really exists on Earth. Otherwise known as the Japanese green syllid worm, it reproduces by a process known as stolonization, which sounds like the brainchild of a sci-fi horror genius but evolved in some annelid (segmented) worms to give future generations the best chance at survival. What was still a mystery (until now) was exactly how that bizarre appendage, or stolon, could form its own head in the middle of the worm’s body. Turns out this is a wonder of gene regulation.

Back