Calgary, Alberta, Canada

xXx

New User
Reaction score
this might be the wrong forum, but here goes: it may amuse some of you

Fisrt, I am a smoker, that should tick of some of you off.

On a recent trip to Calgary, Alberta , Canada. Which by the way does have a population of more than million people (not a small city).

At the Calgary International Airport, this is a picture of the smoking area taken less than 24 hours ago.

CalgaryAirport.jpg

The Canadians should give out doggy bags, at least the smokers put there buts in the ash trays.

Nothing like making a smoker feel like dog poop. (couldn't say what I want too).

Oh Canada eh, you deserve to be embarressed.

Welcome aboard. While I am a staunch non-smoker, I get your point. At least they could have been a wee bit more subtle about it.

Wayne

xXx said:
this might be the wrong forum, but here goes: it may amuse some of you

Fisrt, I am a smoker, that should tick of some of you off.

On a recent trip to Calgary, Alberta , Canada. Which by the way does have a population of more than million people (not a small city).

Nothing like making a smoker feel like dog poop. (couldn't say what I want too).

Good post.

Due to the very high taxes smokers pay they should get VIP service.

I don't smoke, but these restrictions on smoking and 2nd hand smoke are ridiculous.

In the unintended consequence's of banning smoking, where smoking has been banned in bars, drunk driving wrecks increase dramatically. Instead of holding a cigarette in their hand, they hold a drink, they substitute drinking for smoking.

metalman said:
In the unintended consequence's of banning smoking, where smoking has been banned in bars, drunk driving wrecks increase dramatically. Instead of holding a cigarette in their hand, they hold a drink, they substitute drinking for smoking.
What statistics are you using to back up the dramatic increase of drunk wreckages?

Colorado banned smoking, July 2006. Washington State in 2005. Minnesota in Sept 2007. The statistics show no dramatic changes. 2006 vs 2007 fatalities went down in CO and WA. Up slightly in MN. Nothing dramatic?

I picked those 3 states because I frequently travel to them and knew the years of the smoking ban. Their stats show no dramatic increases.

Actually, if you tilt up a little you'll see there's a no smoking sign there too - so you can't even smoke!!
CalgaryAirport.jpg

But that's OK, because in Canada you can't even afford cigarettes.

So, anyway, what's this hate-on you've got about dogs. I know a lot of people who would be upset about having to take their dogs to relieve themselves in a smoking area.

faethor said:
metalman said:
What statistics are you using to back up the dramatic increase of drunk wreckages?

Drunk driving after the passage of smoking bans in bars

The authors estimate that a smoking ban increases fatal drunken-driving accidents by about 13 percent.

Another Unintended Consequence:
Outdoor beer gardens and the surge in demand and use of open-air patio heaters.

metalman said:
The authors estimate that a smoking ban increases fatal drunken-driving accidents by about 13 percent.
Thanks for the link. Interesting I'll track down more of the article to read. Looking at actuals, not estimates, it appears that link isn't as solid. Perhaps there is an increase but it's short lived. I believe drunk driving arrests went up in MN slightly. But, it is -20 here. People decide to smoke in their cars. If you're drunk, in the driver's seat, and even with the car off you can be convicted of drunk driving.

Sounds like a good consequence businesses invest in outdoor construction, additional tables, heaters, and decorations. Something they wouldn't have done otherwise. Investments help retain value and stimulate the economy.

faethor said:
metalman said:
Sounds like a good consequence businesses invest in outdoor construction, additional tables, heaters, and decorations. Something they wouldn't have done otherwise. Investments help retain value and stimulate the economy.

ThumbUp.gif

Some environmentalists wackos are trying to ban patio heaters because the heaters pump heat directly into the atmosphere and the CO2 emissions contribute to global warming. They calculate that a propane patio heater with a heat output of 12.5kW will produce around 34.9kg of CO2 before the fuel runs out.

I say they need a barbecue pit and light some tiki torches to go with them.

@ FluffyMcDeath

if you look to the right you will see a little pen.

thats where you smoke, and the dogs have crapped everywhere in there.
you can't smoke where the sign is.

xXx said:
@ FluffyMcDeath

if you look to the right you will see a little pen.

thats where you smoke, and the dogs have crapped everywhere in there.
you can't smoke where the sign is.

I'm with you, this is nonsense. Don't worry though, all the anti-smokers crowing won't be crowing for long. Booze and foods with sugar are next. Tree hugging veggie eaters aren't safe either, they are going after home gardens already.

Well let's get at least one thing straight, there's no Canadian law that says smokers must be caged along with dogs. That's the airport's thing, and I find it a bit weird - especially for a city like Calgary which is the right-wing, conservative capital of Canada. I would have thought they'd be the last to do something like that, but then again, once you get it into the head of a conservative that some behavior is wrong, they go out of their way to humiliate those who do it. *shrug* For me, Calgary is just the city I have to drive through to get to Banff National Park - not much reason for me to be there otherwise.

redrumloa said:
Tree hugging veggie eaters aren't safe either, they are going after home gardens already.
:?: What's wrong with home gardens?!? Garden vegetables are light years better then that grocery store crap, especially tomatoes. I don't see what's wrong with growing stuff in the back yard.

Glaucus said:
redrumloa said:
Tree hugging veggie eaters aren't safe either, they are going after home gardens already.
:?: What's wrong with home gardens?!? Garden vegetables are light years better then that grocery store crap, especially tomatoes. I don't see what's wrong with growing stuff in the back yard.

There was a reasonably long thread somewhere here on Whyzzat on the subject. The new law didn't specifically target home gardens, but could easily be used to go after them.

redrumloa said:
There was a reasonably long thread somewhere here on Whyzzat on the subject. The new law didn't specifically target home gardens, but could easily be used to go after them.
They can have my veggies when they pry my carrots from my cold dead hands!

Back