Emergent Technology

just because it's Jeri

Jeri was local to me for a while way back in the early days of when she arrived on the Commodore 8bit scene and I got to hang out with her a couple times. It was amazing how deeply technical she was being all self taught. I remember asking some technical details of the CommodoreOne she was working on, and her answers would make my head swim. It was cool to see her become a celebrity of sorts. I saw that she just abandoned Facebook a few days ago.

Artificial intelligence... or advanced imitation? How DeepMind used YouTube vids to train game-beating Atari bot
I think I'm a clone now
montezumas_revenge_ai.jpg

A screenshot of the agent playing Montezuma's Revenge.

Video DeepMind has taught artificially intelligent programs to play classic Atari computer games by making them watch YouTube videos.

Typically, for this sort of research, you'd use a technique called reinforcement learning. This is a popular approach in machine learning that trains bots to perform a specific task, such as playing computer games, by tempting them with lots of little rewards.

To do this, developers have to build algorithms and models that can figure out the state of the game’s environment, identify the rewards to obtain, and then go get 'em. By seeking out these prizes, the bots should gradually progress through the game world, step by step. The goodies should come thick and fast to continuously lure the AI through levels.

But a new method, developed by DeepMind eggheads and documented in a paper this week, teaches code to play classic Atari titles, such as Montezuma’s Revenge, Pitfall, and Private Eye, without any explicit environmental rewards. Instead, an agent is asked to copy the way humans tackle the games, by analyzing YouTube footage of their play-through sessions.
More Google DeepMind shenanigans:
Move over AlphaGo: AlphaZero taught itself to play three different games
DeepMind's new AI is worthy successor to the first program to beat a human at Go.

Not entirely new, but it was interesting to see new ways of doing things over in supercar land.

Koenigsegg's Regera doesn't use a gear box, but rather a direct drive augmented with electric motors.

LG introduces OLED TV that rolls up and disappears when you’re not watching it
It won't be cheap, but it's finally a real product.
At its CES press conference today, LG outlined its entire TV lineup for 2019. We already went over the basic features and specs of LG's new OLED and LCD TVs late last week, and we also reported that the TVs will ship with Apple AirPlay support. But there was one notable TV that wasn't revealed until today: the LG Signature OLED TV R (65R9), which has a display that can roll up and disappear into its base when you're not using it.

Watch the video of LG's stage presentation to see the R in action, if you can stomach some intense marketing speak. Among other things, LG calls the TV "a revolutionary innovation that helps address the very human need for an aesthetically pleasing environment" and says it is "redefining space" to offer unprecedented levels of "immersion" and "a new level of space integration." Accordingly, it will "roll out the future" to consumers.

Thought I'd start a new thread to group together emerging technologies, upcoming gadgets and the like.

I'll kick it off with this article on Google Maps upcoming augmented reality implementation. No release date yet:
Google Maps unveils its first-ever augmented reality interface
No release window announced, but this is definitely Google Maps' future.
  • Instead of relying on an unclear blue dot while walking around a cluttered city, Google suggests this camera-fueled augmented reality interface may one day save the day.
  • Brief teases of business information attached to anything in your direct view pop up while using this new Google Maps mode.

Google used its Tuesday I/O keynote to unveil a pretty killer new feature that may one day come to Google Maps: camera-assisted walking navigation.

"Here's how it could—will look like," Google VP Aparna Chennapragada told the I/O crowd when unveiling a sample interface that combines Google Maps' 2D interface with the view from your smartphone's camera lens. A small semisphere of map data appeared at the bottom of the interface, while the camera perspective included bold images of where to turn and go—and floating panels that show information about businesses in your direct view.
Update on this. FWIW, I'm the type of lazy bugger that will use this feature a lot:
Over the weekend, The Wall Street Journal got to try a real working version of this concept, and, while there still isn't a release date, it sounds like Augmented Reality Google Maps is moving from "What if?" to an actual product.

The Journal was given a Google Pixel 3 XL with an "alpha" version of Google Maps to test. Just like what was shown at Google I/O, the new feature augmented the 2D, GPS-and-compass-powered map system with a 3D, augmented reality camera overlay and a camera-based positioning system. Basically, you hold your phone up, and it displays a camera feed with directions overlaid over it.

Folding screen now available to buy - albeit rather pricey. I do like the look of it but think I'll wait for at least the 2.0 version:
Samsung’s foldable phone is finally official—meet the Galaxy Fold
Samsung's half-phone, half-tablet is real, starts at $1,980, launches April 26.

After years of teasing, Samsung on Wednesday took the wraps off its first foldable smartphone: the Galaxy Fold.

The device will start at a whopping $1,980 and arrive on April 26. It'll hit Europe on May 3 and start at €2,000. Samsung says it will sell both LTE and 5G-capable variants, but has only confirmed AT&T and T-Mobile as carrier partners in US. The electronics giant detailed the Android phone-tablet hybrid at an event in San Francisco, where it also unveiled its new flagship Galaxy S10 phones.

Folding screen now available to buy - albeit rather pricey. I do like the look of it but think I'll wait for at least the 2.0 version:
Samsung’s foldable phone is finally official—meet the Galaxy Fold
Samsung's half-phone, half-tablet is real, starts at $1,980, launches April 26.

After years of teasing, Samsung on Wednesday took the wraps off its first foldable smartphone: the Galaxy Fold.

The device will start at a whopping $1,980 and arrive on April 26. It'll hit Europe on May 3 and start at €2,000. Samsung says it will sell both LTE and 5G-capable variants, but has only confirmed AT&T and T-Mobile as carrier partners in US. The electronics giant detailed the Android phone-tablet hybrid at an event in San Francisco, where it also unveiled its new flagship Galaxy S10 phones.

Huawei's take on similar technology:
Move over Samsung, Huawei’s foldable smartphone is an absolute stunner
A single 8-inch wraparound display offers an alternative to the Galaxy Fold.

Pretty sure this has been tried before* but not quite as elegantly:
New Huawei phone has a 5x optical zoom, thanks to a periscope lens
How do you cram a 5x zoom into the P30 Pro? Just turn the whole assembly sideways!

Huawei officially announced the Huawei P30 Pro smartphone today. While it has a new Huawei-made SoC, an in-screen optical fingerprint reader, and lots of other high-end features, the highlight is definitely the camera's optical zoom, which is up to a whopping 5x. Not digital zoom. Real, optical zoom.

*edit: apparently not:
We've seen prototypes of periscope cameras from Oppo, but as far as commercial devices go, the Huawei P30 Pro is the first.

Also doesn't appear to be adjustable to so more telephoto than zoom but still cool.

Endolysin technology looks set to replace antibiotics

Endolysins are hydrolytic enzymes produced by bacteriophages (viruses that infect bacteria). Bacteriophages kill bacteria by latching onto their cell walls and then injecting their DNA inside so that new phages can be produced inside the cell.

This YouTube Channel Streams AI-Generated Death Metal 24/7

For nearly a month, Dadabots has been streaming death metal nonstop on its YouTube channel. While that may sound like a huge undertaking for a typical four-piece metal band, Dadabots is actually an AI generating its own approximations of what death metal sounds like.

Dadabots—a fake band powered by deep learning software—was developed by CJ Carr and Zack Zukowski, two musicians and technologists who met while they were going to Berklee College of Music in Boston they told The Outline. It’s based on a recurrent neural network—computing architecture that “learns” patterns in a large amount of input data (in this case, death metal) in order to predict what musical elements and sequences are most common and recreates them.

This YouTube Channel Streams AI-Generated Death Metal 24/7

For nearly a month, Dadabots has been streaming death metal nonstop on its YouTube channel. While that may sound like a huge undertaking for a typical four-piece metal band, Dadabots is actually an AI generating its own approximations of what death metal sounds like.

Dadabots—a fake band powered by deep learning software—was developed by CJ Carr and Zack Zukowski, two musicians and technologists who met while they were going to Berklee College of Music in Boston they told The Outline. It’s based on a recurrent neural network—computing architecture that “learns” patterns in a large amount of input data (in this case, death metal) in order to predict what musical elements and sequences are most common and recreates them.

Lasted about 2 minutes and it was 20 seconds of what sounded like a single synth note, followed by 10 seconds of silence then a minute and a half of C=64 loading screen noise before I bailed out. There didn't seem to be any percussion or guitars whatsoever so I think it's a bit glitchy.

On the other hand, I never liked death metal much so maybe it's perfectly normal. :p

Lasted about 2 minutes and it was 20 seconds of what sounded like a single synth note, followed by 10 seconds of silence then a minute and a half of C=64 loading screen noise before I bailed out. There didn't seem to be any percussion or guitars whatsoever so I think it's a bit glitchy.

On the other hand, I never liked death metal much so maybe it's perfectly normal. :p

Probably too small a sample size. I heard about this a couple days ago, and have put it on here and there in short bursts to see what i hear. At times it is kinda incoherent. Other times it is passable as "death metal". By "death metal" I think they actually mean all forms of extreme metal like grindcore, mallcore, goregrind, blackened grind, slam metal etc etc etc. I don't hear much actual "death metal", but i do hear elements of other extreme forms of metal.

Here's an example of a "deathcore"band.

Back