Food, the Good, the Bad, and the Weird

Texas style BBQ

Barbecue is everywhere in Texas, with many regional variations, which you purchase from a smoke house or restaurant , the meat is slow cooked in a BBQ pit for 12 to 18 hrs.
For people outside of Texas: Central Texas Style = Texas Style BBQ.

Central Texas style:
Beef Brisket smoked over Pecan or Oak wood, salted and seasoned, meat sliced, BBQ sauce is thin and unsweetened served on side

East Texas style:
Beef or pork smoked over Pecan or Hickory wood, salted and seasoned, meat diced or shredded, served on a bun, with a BBQ sauce poured over the meat

South & West Texas style
Beef Brisket smoked over mesquite wood, salted and seasoned, meat sliced, a thin BBQ sauce poured over meat, serrano pepper on side

typical side dishes:
Charro ranch style beans, fried potatoes & Onions, Cole slaw, green beans and bacon, potato salad

Mexican Barbacoa
cow's head seasoned with salt ,slow cooked in BBQ pit over mesquite wood, meat pulled off and served in a soft flour or corn tortilla, meat covered with salsa
served with cilantro seasoned beans and Spanish rice

There are LOTS of places to get excellent BBQ in Texas
one of my favorite BBQ chains in San Antonio

Bill Miller Regular Plate BBQ

<open thread>
<quickly scan posts>
<start salivating>
<exit thread>

Being a native Floridian, I find it surprising when friends from other states are repulsed by certain things they've never been exposed to. They'd call it weird, but to me it's just good. Try Alligator and Ox-Tail (Jamaican style) some time at a restaurant that knows how to cook them properly.

Frog legs? Meh. Not horrible but a bit in the weird category. Same with Cow's Feet.

Try Alligator and Ox-Tail (Jamaican style) some time at a restaurant that knows how to cook them properly.

Frog legs? Meh. Not horrible but a bit in the weird category. Same with Cow's Feet.

Combining two themes, I had deep fried alligator chunks in batter once (in Toronto) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was served with a dipping sauce, like pakora.
Ox-tail is usually a type of soup in my neck of the woods.
Frogs legs I quite liked but have never eaten since (same with snails).
Cow's feet is not something I've knowingly ordered but, given the amount of sausages and burgers I've consumed over the years, there must've been some feet in there somewhere along the line.

@Robert
It sounds like you have a much more open mind than many of the people I've met. I'll try almost anything once. Almost, I draw the line at testicles or brains.

Combining two themes, I had deep fried alligator chunks in batter once (in Toronto) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was served with a dipping sauce, like pakora.

Actually it sounds like it was done properly. Lightly breaded, deep fried and with a dipping sauce. It has to be fresh and not overcooked. If done right, quite good. Separately, I've experimented with smoking alligator tail. It tasted great, but with consistency closer to jerky.

Ox-tail is usually a type of soup in my neck of the woods.

Sounds like the general Caribbean recipe with a tomato based sauce/soup. If you get a chance to try it Jamaican-curry style over rice, I recommend it.

Frogs legs I quite liked but have never eaten since (same with snails).

I didn't mind the frog legs, but the flavor was just slightly gamey. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but would eat it if given to me. Snails I've not tried.

Cow's feet is not something I've knowingly ordered but, given the amount of sausages and burgers I've consumed over the years, there must've been some feet in there somewhere along the line.

I'm sure feet is used heavily in processed meats. Butchers won't just throw away a usable part. As an unprocessed meat, it has a good flavor but is extremely greasy. I'd put it in the same category as duck. I like the flavor, but can only eat a very small amount before the greasy aspect turns me off. Cow Feet again is something you can find in a traditional Jamaican restaurant.

Try Alligator and Ox-Tail (Jamaican style) some time at a restaurant that knows how to cook them properly.

It's the preparation, seasoning and cooking that determines the taste

skirt steak used to be a tough but cheap cut of meat, until fajitas became popular
brisket was a cheap cut of meat until BBQ became popular
ribs used to be cheap until BBQ ribs became popular
chicken wings used to be cheap, until Buffalo wings became popular

I grew up on a farm and we butchered a steer and several hogs every year. Any cut of meat that wasn't a steak, or roast, or ham, became hamburger or sausage. The feet, tail, ect ... were items the dog got for being a "good boy"

I've had Frog legs, Ok, not great, gamey
Never had alligator, would try
Beef or Pork Testicles are excellent deep fried
Liver and Onions are excellent fried
Brains, never tried
Tripas (fried Intestines) are a very popular Mexican Item, that I avoid, but bratwurst which are Intestines stuffed with sausage are excellent!

Soul food uses a lot of the very cheap cuts, which can be very good depending on the preparation and the seasoning. Been a while since I had any soul food though, would have to go to Houston to find a soul food restaurant, and that is 350 miles away

I remember we shot a Mud duck once, cooked it, terrible, gave it to the dog
Quail and Pheasant are excellent! But a lot of that is because by hunting season they have been eating nothing but grain for a couple months ( mechanical harvesters leave about 10 to 15% of the grain on the ground, hence very well fed birds )

having fried cat fish and fried potato wedges this evening :) no corn on the cob though :(

Tripas (fried Intestines) are a very popular Mexican Item, that I avoid, but bratwurst which are Intestines stuffed with sausage are excellent!

When I was very young a friend got me to try "Honeycomb" meat in a traditional Jamaican dish. I was enjoying it until I until he explained it was cow stomach. I'd try it again as an adult without reservation. I suppose it is a type of tripe.

When I was very young a friend got me to try "Honeycomb" meat in a traditional Jamaican dish. I was enjoying it until I until he explained it was cow stomach. I'd try it again as an adult without reservation. I suppose it is a type of tripe.

Menudo is a Mexican soup, made with beef stomach, typically on the menu on Sunday

This talk of food mabe me have to get some Ox-tail tonight.

2j298nt.jpg

23 Ways To Rock Your Vegan Barbecue

Buzzfeed is confusing grilling with Barbecue

BBQ is slow cooking the meat, they are describing grilling vegetables

Tofu burger, tofu tacos, tofu hotdogs ?
Thumbs-down-fail-thumbs-down-reject-smiley-emoticon-000748-large.gif

the grilled corn on the cob is done Mexican style, its quite good ... as a side dish

Back