Is Putin covering up a nuclear disaster?

A radioactive device detonating on the surface in Russia would be detectable globally, hell with today's Seismometers we can tell the difference between conventional and nuclear underground explosions and have had that capability for years.

We didn't learn about Chernobyl until days after, but we could detect it within hours, we just didn't know what had happened. If we were picking up the radiation bloom, given the current anti russian crap, do you honestly believe this wouldn't be being trumpeted (fnar!) far and wide?

But the final nail in this nonsense for me is this:

Putin's top secret war missile 'may have exploded during tests' in Nyonoska

The weapon in question is still under testing and even the Russians are not so dumb as to put live nuclear material into an experimental hypersonic missile, doubly so when testing has only recently begun in earnest.

The Daily Mail is garbage tier sensationalist nonsense up there with the National Enquirer, I would urge caution when reading to verify any story from 3rd party sites.

Could be a fake story to rattle the Russians about Putin's new missile plan, or it could be an indication that they really are working on nuclear RAM jets. The US nuclear RAM jet program ended in the 60s as far as we know. The US SLAM program claims similar "unlimited" range for a low altitude cruise missile as the systems announced by Putin in 2018.

This CNN article that came out around the time of Putin's announcement says the US is already aware of such a program, doubts its viability and says they have already observed unsuccessful test flights. It could be an accident associated with the program, but it could also be a fake accident to appear to make the program look like it's not going as well as it is. Considering how good the US surveillance of Russian programs is claimed to be, that would seem to a waste of time - or maybe they want to see if they can flush out some spies. Or it could be some unrelated industrial accident dressed up to look like a nuclear accident by someone in the press.

If it is related to a weapons program I don't expect we'll ever know much about it. The people that are doing it don't want people to know about it, and the intelligence agencies that know anything about it don't want to tell anybody what they know (nor by inference how they know it).

---
edit:
Red posted while I was typing the above.
So I guess I'll take that back - the caveat should have been : unless it's too big to hide!

That's a pretty good looking explosion - but it's well within the bounds of conventional explosion of an explosives depot. Most videos I've seen of ammo dumps tend to be sparklier because you have a mix of munitions and all their casing etc going off, but if it was a large tank of something or a warehouse of explosives ...

If it was nuclear then it will be showing up in the air pretty soon as it looks like it lofted pretty high. I can't tell if the video is taken when and where it's claimed but the reports now say that nuclear workers were involved but that the what exploded was a "liquid propulsion system" with isotopic power sources being tested. Very interesting.

A nuclear powered cruise missile? It might explain the relatively low body count... But even for them this seems a bit nuts to test it so close to a populated area.

But I'm willing to hold my hands up and concede I may well be wrong in much of my initial post.

Revealed:
Russia covered up explosion of Skyfall nuclear superweapon

The reactor exploded Aug. 8 off the coast of the northern Russian town of Nenoska, killing seven Russians on a barge in the White Sea as they were overseeing the recovery of a sunken Skyfall. The missile had been sitting on the seafloor for about year after a failed flight test

The first acknowledgment of the Skyfall accident was the state nuclear agency Rosatom’s announcement two days later about the deaths of five scientists.

Back