"Islamic Barbarians"

metalman

Reaction score
‘Like Alexandria, like Bamiyan, Timbuktu's priceless manuscript heritage destroyed by Islamic barbarians.’

Have authorities contacted him about his 'hate speech' yet?

Look for the apologies, retractions and " what about %var% committed by Xtians" because:

original.jpg

I guess it all depend on how you define the word "is".

Who destroyed more priceless historical material, the Islamists in Timbuktu or the Americans in Iraq?

Men never commit evil so willingly and joyfully as when they do it with religious convictions. - Pascal

Yes - one of them- and the other ones are also religions - chief troublemakers among them, Judaism and Christianity - though we can't leave the Sikhs out. The Buddhists, for the most part, seem OK.

you forgot the Communist Atheists

"We must put an end once and for all to the papist-Quaker babble about the sanctity of human life." --Leon Trotsky

"We must put an end once and for all to the papist-Quaker babble about the sanctity of human life." --Leon Trotsky
"We must put an end to these Canaanites, these Amorites and these Midianites" - Stalin
"I'll kill every first born male child of Egypt" - Mao

barbarian root:

Greek: "barbaros" "foreign, strange, not Greek"
No it doesn't. Barbaros (btw, The Greek letter B (Beta) is pronounced as a V, if you pronounce it as the English B, no one would understand you. So in Greek, it's not beta, it's veeta). Anyway, Barabaros means someone who's both uncivilized and brutal. Sure it most often refers to foreigners, but only because most people don't consider themselves to be Barbarians. However, the term could be used to describe someone who say, brutally killed someone even if they are Greek. Your definition of "strange, not Greek" translates to the Greek word Xenos, which means both stranger and foreigner. Which of the two meanings depends on context.

No it doesn't. Barbaros (btw, The Greek letter B (Beta) is pronounced as a V, if you pronounce it as the English B, no one would understand you. So in Greek, it's not beta, it's veeta). Anyway, Barabaros means someone who's both uncivilized and brutal. Sure it most often refers to foreigners, but only because most people don't consider themselves to be Barbarians. However, the term could be used to describe someone who say, brutally killed someone even if they are Greek. Your definition of "strange, not Greek" translates to the Greek word Xenos, which means both stranger and foreigner. Which of the two meanings depends on context.

when looking of the etymology of "barbarian" several sources gave the "strange, not Greek" meaning

Barbarian

Wictionary -- Barbarian

thanks for pointing out "strange, not Greek" translates as Xenos

And since I looked it up, because if Beta = V not B, what was V in Greek?? ok "v" is lower case Nu , and in Ancient Greek, Beta was pronounced B but is now pronounced as V in Modern Greek

when looking of the etymology of "barbarian" several sources gave the "strange, not Greek" meaning

Barbarian

Wictionary -- Barbarian

thanks for pointing out "strange, not Greek" translates as Xenos

And since I looked it up, because if Beta = V not B, what was V in Greek?? ok "v" is lower case Nu , and in Ancient Greek, Beta was pronounced B but is now pronounced as V in Modern Greek
Ya, some of the Greek letters that look the same as English letters make a totally different sound in Greek. For example, 'ρ' makes the 'r' sound (although Greeks tend to roll the Rs more than English people do). When Greeks want to make a sound equivalent to the English B, they put μ and π together. μπαλλα, pronounced "BAL-la", means ball.

As for the "V" symbol in the Greek alphabet, well, it doesn't exist as a capital letter. However, you pretty much had it, the Nu, "Ν" is the upper case symbol and 'ν' is the lower case symbol and it makes the sound equivalent to the English N. The Greek letter 'η', Eta, makes an English "I" sound. What's really crazy is when Greeks type Greek words using English keyboards, they switch back and forth between the two languages for symbols. For example, if they want to write something that makes an "H" sound (the Greek "Χ"/"χ") they would use the English letter X instead. So for example, if they wanted to say "sound" they'd type it as "ixos" instead of "ihos" (actual Greek: ήχος). Very confusing unless you know the language well and I certainly don't.

So anyway, to recap: βάρβαρος would be pronounced as "VAR-var-os"

Ya, some of the Greek letters that look the same as English letters make a totally different sound in Greek. For example, 'ρ' makes the 'r' sound (although Greeks tend to roll the Rs more than English people do). When Greeks want to make a sound equivalent to the English B, they put μ and π together. μπαλλα, pronounced "BAL-la", means ball.

I'm more familar with Spanish sound substitutions, for example

Texas is derived from Caddo Language ( one of the original Texas tribes, before the Comanche moved to Texas, and drove the Caddo & Apache tribes out)
Texas comes from "friend" or "ally" in the Caddo language, the Spanish phonetically translated this as either "tejas" or "texas", in Spanish "j" is pronounced as "ha" "x" is either "ha" or is "silent, new syllable". So every time you see "Tejas" it's just the alternate spelling for "Texas" but Tejas is Spanish pronunciation, Texas is the incorrect English pronunciation of the Spanish word "texas", with 'x' pronounced

Glaucus said:
As for the "V" symbol in the Greek alphabet, well, it doesn't exist as a capital letter. However, you pretty much had it, the Nu, "Ν" is the upper case symbol and 'ν' is the lower case symbol and it makes the sound equivalent to the English N. The Greek letter 'η', Eta, makes an English "I" sound.

Was thinking that 'η', Eta was lower case Nu, but when look it up, it was 'ν' !?!

Familiar with all names of the Greek letters, because of their being commonly used as mathematical and physics symbols, but was making some incorrect associations between upper and lower case symbols.

Always find the etymology of words interesting, especially Greek and Latin, since they are used as root words when scientifically describing something

Back