NSA taps in to Google, Skype and others

I'm really starting to like the cut of this chap's jib.

Obama's campaign promises and election gave me faith that he would lead us toward fixing the problems he outlined in his quest for votes. Many Americans felt similarly. Unfortunately, shortly after assuming power, he closed the door on investigating systemic violations of law, deepened and expanded several abusive programs, and refused to spend the political capital to end the kind of human rights violations like we see in Guantanamo, where men still sit without charge.

More here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/18/edward-snowden-live-q-and-a-eight-things

@Mike:

I'd be astonished if there's a single poster on this board completely surprised by it so I see that as a bit of a straw man.

In so far as surveillance goes, I'm more or less in agreement with you and I said as much on a recent thread; the increasing documentation of every aspect of our lives is inevitable and trying to prevent it is not only futile but, in my opinion, a misguided conduit for the understandable alarm it causes.

On the other hand, drawing the public's attention to this fact is absolutely essential and if you mean that the general public of the world should have already known that Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc, were all complicit in handing user data over to government authorities, I think you're being unfair.

I remember some years back John C Dvorak on This Week in Tech discussing this issue in some detail. How the NSA, using exactly this kind of meta data, could from looking at one person look at all their associates, families etc to build a near complete picture of a person's life in quite horifying detail.

I agree with both of you in a way but at least in some parts of the tech community this has been common knowledge for quite some time.

My first reaction was one of "no shit" when I first read about this, but even when I first heard about it I really wasn't all that surprised given how they had similar, if less advanced/more labour intensive capabilities to map out the same via the telephone system from basically day one.

Like everything else I suppose, the only thing that's changed really is the level of automation involved.

█████ ████ everything ███ █████ is█████ ████ fine ████ ███ ██████ love █████ █ your █ ████ government

:D

awesome!! that is just freakin hi-lar-i-ous!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Society needs to crumble. We're all just too chickenshit to let it. " - Cabin in the Woods

Snowden makes numerous asylum requests:
The requests were made to a number of countries including the Republic of Austria, the Plurinational State of Bolivia, the Federative Republic of Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, the Republic of Cuba, the Republic of Finland, the French Republic, the Federal Republic of Germany, the Republic of India, the Italian Republic, the Republic of Ireland, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the Republic of Nicaragua, the Kingdom of Norway, the Republic of Poland, the Russian Federation, the Kingdom of Spain, the Swiss Confederation and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.

-EDIT-
Nine of those countries have already told him to do one.

Although he's apparently withdrawn the Russian one.

http://wikileaks.org/Edward-Snowden-submits-asylum.html

Capitalism always find a way....

1372717159230.cached.jpg

:D

French president, François Hollande, described the disclosures of massive US spying and snooping in Europe as unacceptable..

Yet:

At the moment it is not entirely clear what happened this morning, why the French and Portuguese decided to divert the flight.

Hypocritical, spineless arse.

Yet:

Hypocritical, spineless arse.
Absolutely hypocritical but I imagine he's really just performing for a local audience. The French have a healthy list of spy agencies all their own, some dedicated to spying internally. Hollande knows as well as anyone else that their spy agencies spy on their allies and that it's a practice dating back to the origins of espionage itself. No question about it that the most spied on nation is the US, and that includes it's own allies. Fluffy has in the past posted articles about how Israel spies on the US and he did so in such a way to make it seem like it was something particularly unusual. It's not. The French, British and Canadians also spy on the US for various reasons.

As for the no-fly over, there are probably treaties they have signed and are obligated by that required them to do that even if they didn't really want to.

Back