Obama As Seen From London

ltstanfo

Reaction score
I happened across two interesting (to me) links on UK reporting of the recent Obama / Brown meeting in Washington and was surprised by their reviews. I am curious as to what the view on the other side of the pond is. What say you Robert, etc...?

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Obama Wants To Meet The Queen

Lady McBeth Snubs Brown

So much for the theory that Obama would strengthen international relations.

Is that the same Telegraph as used to be owned by Conrad Black but is now owned by the Barclay brothers?

They're a right pair with absolutely no interest in politics as demonstrated by their complete disintrest regarding the goings on in Sark where they live.

From Wiki:
Since their purchase of Brecqhou the Barclays have been in several legal disputes with the government of Sark over such issues as the Barclays' violation of Sark's law banning motor cars. They have also expressed a desire to make Brecqhou politically independent from Sark. Building on the research of William Toplis, the painter, and others, who argued that Brecqhou was not a part of the fief of Sark and challenging the applicability of Sark's inheritance laws to Brecqhou, the brothers have used their great wealth and consequent ability to litigate effectively to force change of Sark's legislation. This included a claim of denial of their human rights that resulted in a change to Sark's inheritance laws. Subsequently, the brothers have continued to challenge Sark's constitutional reform purportedly in favour of greater democracy.

On 11 December 2008, the Barclay brothers were in the news for pulling out their investments (which include hotels) from the island of Sark, causing 100 staff to be made redundant (one sixth of the population) and threatening the economic stability of the island after local voters did not support candidates championed by the Barclay brothers. The brothers had previously warned that if the voters chose to bring back the 'establishment' Sark leaders that are still aligned with the feudal lord then they would pull out of Sark.

Charming, eh?

ltstanfo said:
I happened across two interesting (to me) links on UK reporting of the recent Obama / Brown meeting in Washington and was surprised by their reviews. I am curious as to what the view on the other side of the pond is. What say you Robert, etc...?

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Lady McBeth Snubs Brown

The thought that we count

To my special friend Gordon, 25 DVDs: Obama gives Brown a set of classic movies. Let's hope he likes the Wizard of Oz

"Mr Brown is not thought to be a film buff,"

Brown’s Telling Gift to Obama

"The HMS Gannet built in 1878, sailed the Mediterranean and the Red Sea, patrolling against Islamist slavers."

Brown gives some classy gifts, with symbolic meaning, "Super Smart Diplomat in Chief" reciprocates with 25 DVD's from Blockbuster. :shocked:

metalman said:

"The HMS Gannet built in 1878, sailed the Mediterranean and the Red Sea, patrolling against Islamist slavers."

Brown gives some classy gifts, with symbolic meaning, "Super Smart Diplomat in Chief" reciprocates with 25 DVD's from Blockbuster. :shocked:

Considering the close relationship and history between the countries, thoroughly embarrassing.

redrumloa said:
IMO the superpower of the 18th century will safely continue to ride the shirt tales of the 20th century superpower by acting as our 51st state...

Move along... :roflmao:

ltstanfo said:

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Lady McBeth Snubs Brown

Although Brown was hoping that a bit of "Obama-ness" would rub off on him and give him a boost in the polls here, the reality is that most Brits aren't impressed by our politicians schmoozing foreign politicians. It won't do any harm, but no good either. More impressive, is if he appeared on something like Have I Got News For You to prove his sense of humour. Everyone loved Boris Johnson and William Hague after they did that.

As for Obama not really being interested in Britain... we knew that already.

faethor said:
redrumloa said:
IMO the superpower of the 18th century will safely continue to ride the shirt tales of the 20th century superpower by acting as our 51st state...

Tell that to a President hoping meeting a monarch from an 11th century institution will give him a bit more glam :lol:

redrumloa said:
metalman said:

Considering the close relationship and history between the countries, thoroughly embarrassing.

Why didn't Barack just give Gordon a Netflix subscription so he chose what DVD's he wanted? Wouldn't that be more personal?

Normally President and Prime Minister hold a joint press conference with two lecterns, lots of Stars & Stripes mingled with Union Jacks, and NO teleprompters.

"Super Orator Obama" can only make speeches read from a teleprompter, no matter how short, and cannot answer reporters questions without making some major gaffe. His cabinet nominee speeches are hilarious, he needs a teleprompter to introduce each nominee, a speech of about 3 lines.
:roflmao:

smithy said:
faethor said:
redrumloa said:

Tell that to a President hoping meeting a monarch from an 11th century institution will give him a bit more glam :lol:

What gift will Obama present the Queen?

Queen's greatest hits! :roflmao:

or a copy of Obama's new Shakespearean Tragicomedy, a "Mid-summernight's Disaster".

Conversation when Super Obama and the Queen meet:
Queen: I'm honored to meet you.
Obama: You're are very honored to meet me.

Barack Obama 'too tired' to give proper welcome to Gordon Brown

"Allies of Mr Obama say his weary appearance in the Oval Office with Mr Brown illustrates the strain he is now under, and the president's surprise at the sheer volume of business that crosses his desk."

"The official dismissed any notion of the special relationship, saying: "There's nothing special about Britain. You're just the same as the other 190 countries in the world. You shouldn't expect special treatment."

obamamadmag.jpg

metalman said:
ltstanfo said:

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Lady McBeth Snubs Brown

The thought that we count

To my special friend Gordon, 25 DVDs: Obama gives Brown a set of classic movies. Let's hope he likes the Wizard of Oz

"Mr Brown is not thought to be a film buff,"

What was suspected has now been confirmed

when PM Brown settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem. The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen.

they were "NTSC" format! :roflmao:

"Super intelligent mega intellectual sophisticate enlightened being Obama" while engaging in "Super Smart Diplomacy" forgot that American-coded DVD's won't work in British DVD players. :whack:

Just wait until Brown gets an "overdue" notice from Blockbuster on the rental of those DVDs.

This could all be avoided the next time a world leader visits, if Obama would just give him a $100 Circuit City gift certificate.

this may come as a shock to some people, but anyone - even rich people - can get a DVD player that plays all regions

plus, computers can play all regions

duh :whack:

cecilia said:
this may come as a shock to some people, but anyone - even rich people - can get a DVD player that plays all regions

plus, computers can play all regions

duh :whack:

Obama is just not Brown's PAL

Although the physical DVD format is the same throughout the World, the video signal that is recorded on disk is NTSC or PAL encoding.

European electrical outlets are 220/240V 50hz

British electrical plugs are Type G used only in used in the UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Malta, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong.
:axe:

Obama's gift of a DVD collection was an appropriate return gift for the gag gifts Prime Minister Brown brought, a pen set made from a old rotted boat, a framed paper certificate thing about some other old boat, some books about Churchill (not Ward, but that racist English guy). Those DVD's sure helped cement our Anglo-American "special relationship". "Super Smart Diplomacy" in action!!!!

metalman said:

Although the physical DVD format is the same throughout the World, the video signal that is recorded on disk is NTSC or PAL encoding.
Both computers as well as multi region DVD players can OF COURSE play both NTSC as well as PAL encoded DVD's.
:whip:

And thereby, never look a gift horse in the mouth :whip:

Speelgoedmannetje said:
metalman said:

Both computers as well as multi region DVD players can OF COURSE play both NTSC as well as PAL encoded DVD's.
:whip:

And thereby, never look a gift horse in the mouth :whip:

Assuming a set of DVD's is a fitting gift for a head of State.

The media declared the Obama administration to be the most technologically savvy White House in the history of man a few weeks ago. So savvy that they were shocked to see Windows XP and no Blackberries in the White House. So how dumb do you have to be to give region 1 DVDs instead of region 2 DVDs to someone in the UK?

PM Brown should include a copy of Michael Caine’s first movie leading role in with his thank you note!

metalman said:
So how dumb do you have to be to give region 1 DVDs instead of region 2 DVDs to someone in the UK?
Maybe it was dumb, maybe it was just by accident. We don't know.
We do know, however, that it is extremely dumb to make an issue of this. :whip:

Speelgoedmannetje said:
metalman said:
So how dumb do you have to be to give region 1 DVDs instead of region 2 DVDs to someone in the UK?
Maybe it was dumb, maybe it was just by accident. We don't know.
We do know, however, that it is extremely dumb to make an issue of this. :whip:
exactly.

if someone gave me a DVD from another region I wouldn't have a heart attack over it. I'd play it on my computer.

:roll:

plus, these jackasses actually think Obama (or more likely the secretary assigned to compliling the DVD's) actually went out of their way to ONLY get American region DVD's.
maybe that was the ONLY version they could find in the time they needed to send this gift.

considering the really important things we have to worry about in this time, THIS is hardly a tragedy

Imagine what this world would be like if people actually worried about how politians made up shit so they could go to war

I want to know why people - in certain corners - DIDN'T say shit when it could have meant something!

cecilia said:
plus, these jackasses actually think Obama (or more likely the secretary assigned to compliling the DVD's) actually went out of their way to ONLY get American region DVD's.
maybe that was the ONLY version they could find in the time they needed to send this gift.

considering the really important things we have to worry about in this time, THIS is hardly a tragedy

Not even a "Special Olympian" would think a set of DVD's would be an appropriate gift for a head of state.

More "Super Smart Obama Diplomacy!"
Obama insults French President Sarkozy!

So "Super intelligent mega intellectual sophisticate enlightened being Obama" does not even know the name of the current French president. "Super intelligent mega intellectual sophisticate enlightened being Obama" must have forgotten that when he visited France last summer that the head of state he met was NOT Jacques Chirac !

Back