Off the beaten path music that rules

redrumloa

Reaction score
In general I mean music not currently embraced in pop culture. That could be local bands, smaller mostly unknown bands, or simply forgotten bands. I don't really care the genre. My mind is more open than ever on music.

Here are a couple from a local blues band I have seen in person 6 times. These are 2 original songs, though they do a bunch of covers live. JP Soars himself is an interesting character. He started in extreme metal on a more national stage, but even early on did blues locally. He eventually went blues full time. They are road dogs playing almost daily either local or on tour. If they're not out touring, it is almost guaranteed they are playing daily locally in the bottom half of the state.

These 2 official videos are nice to me because they are EXTREMELY local to me. I know all the landmarks seen in the videos.

Over the last ~20 years I've grown more and more to love the blues. I love blues these days as much as I love the crazy side of metal. I see them as 2 sides of the same coin. JP (john Paul) told me he sees it the same as me. We've talked a few times, including when he signed the Malevolent Creation CD he played on that I brought to one of his shows.

51ZGgZ5d7RL.jpg

He was tickled I knew the connection and we had a long(ish) talk. Really nice guy. That whole band actually.

In general I mean music not currently embraced in pop culture. That could be local bands, smaller mostly unknown bands, or simply forgotten bands. I don't really care the genre. My mind is more open than ever on music.

Here are a couple from a local blues band I have seen in person 6 times. These are 2 original songs, though they do a bunch of covers live. JP Soars himself is an interesting character. He started in extreme metal on a more national stage, but even early on did blues locally. He eventually went blues full time. They are road dogs playing almost daily either local or on tour. If they're not out touring, it is almost guaranteed they are playing daily locally in the bottom half of the state.

These 2 official videos are nice to me because they are EXTREMELY local to me. I know all the landmarks seen in the videos.

Over the last ~20 years I've grown more and more to love the blues. I love blues these days as much as I love the crazy side of metal. I see them as 2 sides of the same coin. JP (john Paul) told me he sees it the same as me. We've talked a few times, including when he signed the Malevolent Creation CD he played on that I brought to one of his shows.

View attachment 2260

He was tickled I knew the connection and we had a long(ish) talk. Really nice guy. That whole band actually.
I'm on a break at work so can't listen just now but seeing I-95 mentioned reminded me of this track by an extremely talented wee Texan guy called Ben Kweller (he sings about driving up I-95) , who has been reasonably successful but not particularly well known (at least in the UK).
I was a bit of an uber fan for a few years and travelled around the UK to see him live in various cities.

Always loved this song by a (formerly) local guy. He lives in Victoria now (the other big city in BC).

A more recent little-known favourite of mine is a psych band from Carlisle called The Lucid Dream. I've seen them live 5 or 6 times and they're always excellent.
Come to think of it, the only proper gig I've been to since lockdown was to see them. This is one of their "better known" tracks, in that it got a little radio play on 6 Music here in the UK. It's called Bad Texan, which is nice symmetry as Ben Kweller (couple of posts above) is a Good Texan. :drumroll:

I think this one qualifies as even among metalheads like me they aren't all that well known. They do have a VERY famous guy on guitar for this album, but back then you'd have to figure out on your own who he was as he was only credited as "Anton Crowley" on the album. With has hair long, the tattoos were the biggest giveaway.

Probably have to be a bit of a metalhead to appreciate the song like I do. The video OTOH is very weird, in a good way, especially if you like old school low budget horror movies.

Senyawa quite recently really blew my mind with their experimental Indonesian music with metal influences. It's sure not for the faint hearted :)
It summons garuda's from the sky

Last edited:
Back