On the happy/sad side of the coin...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a bad-thing, good-thing thing...

Up until today, I've been using the same pair of Asus 27" 2560x1440 monitors since 2013 or so. Back then as memory serves me, they were about $450 each... Love them. Fabulous monitors...

Over the last few weeks however, one of them started flickering really bad and refused to be recognized by my work PC as anything more than a standard resolution 1920x1080 monitor, all while demonstrating the migraine inducing flicker.

Still worked really perfect with my Mac, and I'm sure if my work machine weren't a lower-end laptop, it might have been able to drive it ok, but even with swapping out cables and everything, I guess it was just time...

So, out of sheer coincidence, I stopped by Costco today to pick up a few things when I see that they had 32" LG 1440p monitors (not curved or anything) on sale for $199, or less than half of what I paid for my 27" monitors all those years ago. They even had an open-box 32" for $150... Unfortunately, I was still wishy-washing about it and decided to take back an item in my cart and by the time i returned, the open-box monitor was claimed...

Lemme just say this. The pair of 32" monitors sitting on my desk are currently as awe-inspiring as my 27" monitors were in 2013... I truly hate to see the Asus monitor give up and truth-to-tell, if they still made that model, I probably would have just replaced it with same, but they don't, and I don't believe in using mix-matched monitors in a production environment so here we are...

Now I just gotta figure out what to do with the 27" 1440p monitors, along with matching Asus 27" 1080p monitors in a fully-loaded 4br house that's quickly filling up with stuff I don't need but don't want to get rid of..

Back