Paris and White Haired Old Dude

faethor said:
]
metalman said:
Most drivers already regularly check their tire pressure
You may. But, the general public? No.
I would say less than 1 in 20 vehicles I see are driving with under inflated tires, because if you do, you'll have a blowout with economic conquences more severe than mearly waisting some gas. It's more common to see a car being driven with 4 donut tires than under inflated tires.

faethor said:
metalman said:
and electronic ignition systems don't require constant tuning.
Yes they are better then older engines. However they do need maintenance.

Example: I bought my 9-2x w/ 36K miles on her around 40K the mileage for 2 tanks in the row were 25ish MPG instead of 27 MPG. It appears the dealer didn't ensure that the 30K maintenance was done. I went back there and they did it for no cost. The next few tanks were 28MPG. So clearly having a properly tuned car does make a difference.
Cars haven't been built with ignition points and condensers since the late 70's. Modern engines have computer controls, electronic ignitions, oxygen sensors, platimun tipped spark plugs, fuel injection, and use unleaded gasoline. A modern engine can go 100,000-mile without needing a tune up. What is required now is engine maintenance. Change the oil, air filter, and add injector cleaner to the gas.

faethor said:
metalman said:
So to say that the energy savings from proper tire inflation will offset energy that could be obtained from offshore drilling is ignorant.
Bush Admin documents say 1% gain in the next 30 years from drilling vs my 10% gain between a properly and improperly tuned engine. You do the math.

US annual oil consumption 759 million barrels

The Bakken Formation is now being developed using horizontal drilling technology. The Bakken Formation had its estimates of recoverable oil increased from none, to 4.5 billion barrels of recoverable oil.

ANWAR has 4.3 billion barrels of current technically recoverable oil

A 2008 United States Geological Survey estimates that the Arctic contains as much as 90 billion barrels of oil reserves (about 13 percent of the world's undiscovered reserves).

You do the math.

There is a fundamental difference between developing new energy resources and using less energy, whether through tire inflation, or changing from a jet plane to a turboprop. I don't need the government to tell me to maintain my vehicle. I'm already doing that. The ObamaMessssiah's obsession with tire inflation isn't an energy policy, it's a public service announcement.

faethor said:
]
metalman said:
I would say less than 1 in 20 vehicles I see are driving with under inflated tires, because if you do, you'll have a blowout with economic conquences more severe than mearly waisting some gas. It's more common to see a car being driven with 4 donut tires than under inflated tires.

faethor said:
metalman said:

Example: I bought my 9-2x w/ 36K miles on her around 40K the mileage for 2 tanks in the row were 25ish MPG instead of 27 MPG. It appears the dealer didn't ensure that the 30K maintenance was done. I went back there and they did it for no cost. The next few tanks were 28MPG. So clearly having a properly tuned car does make a difference.
Cars haven't been built with ignition points and condensers since the late 70's. Modern engines have computer controls, electronic ignitions, oxygen sensors, platimun tipped spark plugs, fuel injection, and use unleaded gasoline. A modern engine can go 100,000-mile without needing a tune up. What is required now is engine maintenance. Change the oil, air filter, and add injector cleaner to the gas.

faethor said:
metalman said:
So to say that the energy savings from proper tire inflation will offset energy that could be obtained from offshore drilling is ignorant.
Bush Admin documents say 1% gain in the next 30 years from drilling vs my 10% gain between a properly and improperly tuned engine. You do the math.

The Bakken Formation is now being developed using horizontal drilling technology. The Bakken Formation had its estimates of recoverable oil increased from none, to 4.5 billion barrels of recoverable oil.

A 2008 United States Geological Survey estimates that the Arctic contains as much as 90 billion barrels of oil reserves (about 13 percent of the world's undiscovered reserves).

You do the math.

There is a fundamental difference between developing new energy resources and using less energy, whether through tire inflation, or changing from a jet plane to a turboprop. I don't need the government to tell me to maintain my vehicle. I'm already doing that. The ObamaMessssiah's obsession with tire inflation isn't an energy policy, it's a public service announcement.

faethor said:
]
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

You do the math.

faethor said:
]
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

You do the math.

faethor said:
]
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

You do the math.

faethor said:
]
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

You do the math.

metalman said:

Ding ding ding, give that man a cigar!

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:
Good question on how many cars have under inflated tires. When you see a tire low, depending on the tire, it is close to 10psi. Low profiles are even more difficult to visually check.

metalman said:
Cars haven't been built with ignition points and condensers since the late 70's. Modern engines have computer controls, electronic ignitions, oxygen sensors, platimun tipped spark plugs, fuel injection, and use unleaded gasoline. A modern engine can go 100,000-mile without needing a tune up.
Some, not all. And not all cars are the same level of variability and control. For example, GM is just introducing Variable Valve timing on their Cobalt to help improve fuel efficency even more. I agree engines are better. But, yes they still need care. My car is but 3 years old but, for example, needs plugs changed every 30K.

metalman said:

US annual oil consumption 759 million barrels -- per what?
US Consumes 20.8M barrels per day in 2005 *365 = 7.4Billion barrels per year.

ANWAR would produce ~875K barrels a day at peak production which takes nearly 20 years to get to. Assuming the rate of usage of oil stays constant that is an addition of 4%. Since usage is predicted to go up the rate you'll see at the pump with ANWAR online is a savings around 1-2 cents per gallon. Bakken is similar another 1-2 cents. Florida off-shore another up to 1 cent. So that's a whole nickel you'll save in 20 years from now. Interesting that conservatives owned the government for the last 8 years but didn't bother to do this huh?

Don't forget about the ~65 million acres the oil companies have already and can drill on. They haven't bothered to get that oil. Instead of spending money to invest in oil production in that land they've held the land, repurchased their own stock, and increased the value of their company. There's an estimated 50% increase in oil production and 75% increase in natural gas if the companies use what they have already in their paws. Giving the oil companies a use it or lose it clause, such as the coal industry has, would be a really great idea. Without it there is no guarantee that they'd use those resources either.

I don't need the government to tell me to maintain my vehicle. I'm already doing that.
You may be but you're likely the exception. Talking to my co-workers they get oil changes and see a mechanic when something breaks.

The ObamaMessssiah's obsession with tire inflation isn't an energy policy, it's a public service announcement.
There is no Obama obsession with tire inflation. It's 1 of many points he made. What this is, is the conservative political machine trying to explain their opponent in the simplest of terms so the cons can win the election. Keep the focus here and hope the people ignored his -- $150B in renewables, creating 5Million jobs, increasing fuel standards, tax credits for purchasing advanced vehicles, construction on the Alaskan pipeline, build in clean coal, and move to 25% renewables by 2025.

McCain, funded by $1.3M from oil sources, has promoted tax cuts for oil as high as 75% of current tax payments. Unfortunately in this plan he doesn't tie any requirement for the oil companies to corresponding reduce the price of oil. If we're willing to pay $4 per gallon w/ the high tax to the government certainly we'll be willing to pay $4 per gallon w/o the high tax to the government. Cut taxes, cut government revenue, more borrow and spend, more driving dollar down the hole, more reducing the American quality of living.

McCain flip-flopped to be against and now for off-shore drilling. Adding a meger 1% in 20 years (or 10 if you believe conservative radio). Adding Nuclear because he calls it safe. He knows because he was in the Navy. A week before this speech a Navy sub was found leaking radiation into the bay in Hawaii and they notified 2 other ports of possible contaimination. Poor timing. Nuclear is so unsafe insurance companies won't cover it and the government will step in and insure. Nuclear is still the most expensive option.

I remember McCain blaming Obama for high oil prices. Having paid around $4.19 per gallon back then and now paying $3.49 yesterday I have to say. Thank you Obama. :lol:

metalman said:
Good question on how many cars have under inflated tires. When you see a tire low, depending on the tire, it is close to 10psi. Low profiles are even more difficult to visually check.

metalman said:
Cars haven't been built with ignition points and condensers since the late 70's. Modern engines have computer controls, electronic ignitions, oxygen sensors, platimun tipped spark plugs, fuel injection, and use unleaded gasoline. A modern engine can go 100,000-mile without needing a tune up.
Some, not all. And not all cars are the same level of variability and control. For example, GM is just introducing Variable Valve timing on their Cobalt to help improve fuel efficency even more. I agree engines are better. But, yes they still need care. My car is but 3 years old but, for example, needs plugs changed every 30K.

metalman said:

ANWAR would produce ~875K barrels a day at peak production which takes nearly 20 years to get to. Assuming the rate of usage of oil stays constant that is an addition of 4%. Since usage is predicted to go up the rate you'll see at the pump with ANWAR online is a savings around 1-2 cents per gallon. Bakken is similar another 1-2 cents. Florida off-shore another up to 1 cent. So that's a whole nickel you'll save in 20 years from now. Interesting that conservatives owned the government for the last 8 years but didn't bother to do this huh?

Don't forget about the ~65 million acres the oil companies have already and can drill on. They haven't bothered to get that oil. Instead of spending money to invest in oil production in that land they've held the land, repurchased their own stock, and increased the value of their company. There's an estimated 50% increase in oil production and 75% increase in natural gas if the companies use what they have already in their paws. Giving the oil companies a use it or lose it clause, such as the coal industry has, would be a really great idea. Without it there is no guarantee that they'd use those resources either.

I don't need the government to tell me to maintain my vehicle. I'm already doing that.
You may be but you're likely the exception. Talking to my co-workers they get oil changes and see a mechanic when something breaks.

The ObamaMessssiah's obsession with tire inflation isn't an energy policy, it's a public service announcement.
There is no Obama obsession with tire inflation. It's 1 of many points he made. What this is, is the conservative political machine trying to explain their opponent in the simplest of terms so the cons can win the election. Keep the focus here and hope the people ignored his -- $150B in renewables, creating 5Million jobs, increasing fuel standards, tax credits for purchasing advanced vehicles, construction on the Alaskan pipeline, build in clean coal, and move to 25% renewables by 2025.

McCain, funded by $1.3M from oil sources, has promoted tax cuts for oil as high as 75% of current tax payments. Unfortunately in this plan he doesn't tie any requirement for the oil companies to corresponding reduce the price of oil. If we're willing to pay $4 per gallon w/ the high tax to the government certainly we'll be willing to pay $4 per gallon w/o the high tax to the government. Cut taxes, cut government revenue, more borrow and spend, more driving dollar down the hole, more reducing the American quality of living.

McCain flip-flopped to be against and now for off-shore drilling. Adding a meger 1% in 20 years (or 10 if you believe conservative radio). Adding Nuclear because he calls it safe. He knows because he was in the Navy. A week before this speech a Navy sub was found leaking radiation into the bay in Hawaii and they notified 2 other ports of possible contaimination. Poor timing. Nuclear is so unsafe insurance companies won't cover it and the government will step in and insure. Nuclear is still the most expensive option.

I remember McCain blaming Obama for high oil prices. Having paid around $4.19 per gallon back then and now paying $3.49 yesterday I have to say. Thank you Obama. :lol:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

faethor said:
metalman said:

Radial tires appear slighlty under inflated at full pressure. Low profile tires (stiff sidewalls) are almost run flat

faethor said:
metalman said:

Platinum Spark Plugs

It needs the air filter changed and injector cleaner added to the gas tank

Variable valve timing systems were first used in the early nineteenth century on steam engines. Variable valve timing is used to keep the valves open for longer periods of time at high rpm, allowing more air into the cylinder, while allowing the engine to idle at the low speeds.

Ford started using Variable Cam Timing since 1998 in gasoline engines
Navistar began using electronic valve-train for Variable Cam Timing in its 6.0L camless V-8 diesel engines since 2003 (used by Ford in their F-series trucks)

faethor said:
metalman said:

oops 7592 million barrels per year

faethor said:
ANWAR would produce ~875K barrels a day at peak production which takes nearly 20 years to get to.
There is already an existing pipeline to the Prudhoe Bay oil field. so 18 years of the delay is legal delays.

faethor said:
Assuming the rate of usage of oil stays constant that is an addition of 4%. Since usage is predicted to go up the rate you'll see at the pump with ANWAR online is a savings around 1-2 cents per gallon. Bakken is similar another 1-2 cents. Florida off-shore another up to 1 cent. So that's a whole nickel you'll save in 20 years from now.

Crude is now down $32 to $115.20 a barrel from its high of $147.27 on July 11 when President Bush Lifted the Executive Ban on Offshore Drilling.
That is a $0.76 per gallon drop in price.

faethor said:

There are economic, technological or legal reasons for these acreages not being produced.

faethor said:
metalman said:

Radial tires appear slighlty under inflated at full pressure. Low profile tires (stiff sidewalls) are almost run flat

faethor said:
metalman said:

Platinum Spark Plugs

It needs the air filter changed and injector cleaner added to the gas tank

Variable valve timing systems were first used in the early nineteenth century on steam engines. Variable valve timing is used to keep the valves open for longer periods of time at high rpm, allowing more air into the cylinder, while allowing the engine to idle at the low speeds.

Ford started using Variable Cam Timing since 1998 in gasoline engines
Navistar began using electronic valve-train for Variable Cam Timing in its 6.0L camless V-8 diesel engines since 2003 (used by Ford in their F-series trucks)

faethor said:
metalman said:

oops 7592 million barrels per year

faethor said:
ANWAR would produce ~875K barrels a day at peak production which takes nearly 20 years to get to.
There is already an existing pipeline to the Prudhoe Bay oil field. so 18 years of the delay is legal delays.

faethor said:
Assuming the rate of usage of oil stays constant that is an addition of 4%. Since usage is predicted to go up the rate you'll see at the pump with ANWAR online is a savings around 1-2 cents per gallon. Bakken is similar another 1-2 cents. Florida off-shore another up to 1 cent. So that's a whole nickel you'll save in 20 years from now.

Crude is now down $32 to $115.20 a barrel from its high of $147.27 on July 11 when President Bush Lifted the Executive Ban on Offshore Drilling.
That is a $0.76 per gallon drop in price.

faethor said:

There are economic, technological or legal reasons for these acreages not being produced.

Back