"Please stand still and hold the handrail whilst travelling"

My nephew is one of the people with a nasty allergy to eggs. He has a violent reaction to anything that contains egg even in minute amounts. Having signs that say X contains egg is actually a very good thing and actively campaigned for by sufferers. Shopping would be a nightmare otherwise, because there are vast numbers of foods that contains eggs.

That said, I think a sign on a packet of eggs is a little bit over the top.

That said, I think a sign on a packet of eggs is a little bit over the top.

That's my gripe, not allergy warnings per se, which are clearly there for a good reason.

Egads I hate the self service lines.

I have never used an automated check-out even though several stores I go to have them. There are two main reasons for this.

The first is that if everyone went to the automated checkout then the store wouldn't need tellers and it may be not much of a job but it's a job and people need jobs.

The second is that no store yet has been willing to pas on a discount for me doing the work that the teller would otherwise do.

So screw them. I'll go see the human and the human can keep their job.

To be honest, although I have used them, I always try to go for the human teller first, if at all possible, even if it means having to wait.

More often than not, the self-checkout is slower anyway since they are so temperamental.

Don't worry it'll be better in the future

Carls Jr.- Fuk Yu, I'm eating!
Would you like to try our EXTRA BIG ASS TACO? Now with more ... molecules!

Even though the self-checkout is annoyingly prescriptive and condescending, I much prefer it to using the human checkout assistant.

Even though the self-checkout is annoyingly prescriptive and condescending, I much prefer it to using the human checkout assistant.

I have to agree in most instances. At least where I live the self checkout is much faster and does not give you an attitude. I don't want to paint all the cashiers with the same brush but we get some really disinterested people working as cashiers in South Florida. I find nothing more annoying than being polite and getting an attitude in return from a person you are handing money to.

See, I'm a bit variable in my attitude to cashiers. When they're stand-offish to me, I feel a bit offended. But when they're chirpy and want to chat, I find their attempts to enforce social interaction upon me annoying.

I'm aware that this is massively unfair, but hey, I can live with it.

See, I'm a bit variable in my attitude to cashiers. When they're stand-offish to me, I feel a bit offended. But when they're chirpy and want to chat, I find their attempts to enforce social interaction upon me annoying.

LOL, there's just no pleasing you :D

People just have to learn how to dose.

I don't mind sharing the time of day with the cashiers, it takes some of the drudgery out of grocery shopping. The ones at my local supermarket are pretty friendly.

Now I like technology. However, badly implemented technology such of these does a diservice to not only technlogy but to the most important part of this... the customer who has the money.
I thought those self service lanes were awesome at first. But that was back when they only existed at Home Depot. It seems everything I bought at Home Depot had a UPC and a very consistent weight. Not so at the grocery stores, where somethings don't have a UPC or weight so little the bagging area isn't sensitive enough to notice it. I still prefer the self serve at home depot, but I can't stand the self serve at Sobeys as I seem to have to wait for an inattentive attendant every second item.

What, you don't like people? Typically, I usually pick out the hottest cashier. If they're all guys, I use the machine. :D

I don't mind sharing the time of day with the cashiers, it takes some of the drudgery out of grocery shopping. The ones at my local supermarket are pretty friendly.

I don't mind casual chatter, it is pleasant. I do get the point though. I get the rare occasional cashier who just wants to keep talking beyond he casual discussion of the weather. When they want details of why I am buying what and for whom, it crosses the line. If I buy an enema, whiskey, flowers, personal lubricant and rope it is my business:cool:

What, you don't like people? Typically, I usually pick out the hottest cashier. If they're all guys, I use the machine. :D
I still won't do it. If I'm doing the cashiers job they should pay me to do it.

If I buy an enema, whiskey, flowers, personal lubricant and rope it is my business

Jim, you owe me a new monitor and keyboard! I just drenched these in tea.

I like the "Insert Straw ->" on a few tetra packs (juice box to some), no shit sherlock, like there is any other place besides the soft round silver patch to insert a straw...

I still won't do it. If I'm doing the cashiers job they should pay me to do it.
Ya, I hear ya, but there are other factors involved, including my own convenience. Often the self-checkout is much faster when you're just buying a few small items. When I got the cart loaded up I avoid the self checkout as I find the cashier ladies quicker that way (they know all the fruit codes by heart, where as I starting flipping through page after page of options...). So for me I make a decision on the fly, based on lines and how many items I have. Although to be honest, your line of reasoning never really enters that equation. The way I see it, the cashiers and the self-checkout are all paid for by the collective price of all the items in the store. If it's more cost effective to have people use the self-checkout, and more people use the self-checkout, then one could expect lower prices for all the items. Of course, it could also just mean fatter profits, but that's up for debate. Fact is, if you really want to help the little guy out, you should only go to small family owned grocery stores. Even better: farmer's markets (which I do go to as often as possible).

Back