Polio making a bit of a comeback?

Robert

Reaction score
Anti-vax YouTubers assemble!
There have been increasing reports of Polio turning up in London sewers over the last few months. Now it's also showing up in NY:

Poliovirus detected in NYC sewage; health officials urge vaccination

Meanwhile, officials in London reported finding poliovirus over 100 times in sewage.

Transmission electron micrograph of poliovirus type 1.

Health officials in New York are ramping up efforts to boost polio vaccination rates in local children as yet more poliovirus has surfaced in sewage sampling.

On Friday, August 12, New York state and New York City health officials announced that poliovirus had been detected for the first time in New York City sewage, suggesting local circulation of the virus.
The finding follows similar detections in sewage sampling in nearby Rockland and Orange counties during May, June, and July. On July 21, health officials in Rockland county reported a case of paralytic polio in a young, unvaccinated male resident who had not recently traveled out of the country. The man's symptoms began in June.

that population (orthodox) have almost no vaccines and they have breakouts. Like the measles outbreak in 2018 they had. I sure feel sorry for their children.

That infected person may not have traveled out of the country but who knows, maybe someone else in that group did and brought back polio.

Poliovirus outbreak expands in NY: Third county has vaccination rate of 62%

"One New Yorker paralyzed by polio is already too many," state health commissioner says.

A third county in New York with a low vaccination rate has detected poliovirus in its wastewater, suggesting that spread of the dangerous virus is expanding, which continues to pose a significant threat to anyone unvaccinated.

Wastewater sampling in Sullivan County detected poliovirus twice in July and twice in August, the New York State Health Department announced. Genetic sequencing determined that the positive samples are linked to the case of paralytic polio reported from Rockland County in July, which was genetically linked to viruses circulating in London and Israel.

Analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has found poliovirus in samples collected from Rockland County, Orange County, Sullivan County, New York City, and now, Nassau County.

Health authorities say the sample collected in August from Nassau County has been genetically linked to the case of paralytic polio previously identified in Rockland County, further evidence of expanding community spread. All samples reported are samples of concern, meaning they are types of poliovirus that can cause paralysis in humans.

eeewwww, I'm fine because I was vaccinated but I feel sorry for any unvaccinated groups.

Back