Political Compass Thread

Finally had a few free minutes when this thread was up to remind me. So I finally took it.

I'm not sure it's a great test. There are a few poorly framed questions. It puts me in Green, which probably isn't that far off, idealistically, though. (In practice of actual voting, I don't necessarily vote for those in my square, but who I think will do the best job.)

chart

Finally had a few free minutes when this thread was up to remind me. So I finally took it.

I'm not sure it's a great test. There are a few poorly framed questions.
Terribly steering questions where I want to put a LOT of nuance in.

Terribly steering questions where I want to put a LOT of nuance in.
That's how these tests are usually crafted. They'll ask question on borders and you are basically asked to figure out on which side you fall. I often find these things frustrating too but they are designed that way to try and get through all the wishy-washy to get to an answer.

That's how these tests are usually crafted. They'll ask question on borders and you are basically asked to figure out on which side you fall. I often find these things frustrating too but they are designed that way to try and get through all the wishy-washy to get to an answer.

I don't disagree, but some of the questions are just completely framed wrong, too. Like the one I got that was something like "The greatest advantage of a one party system is the lack of disagreement to impede progress." Well, yeah, it is. But that is a lot like saying that "The greatest advantage to permanently removing the safety on my handgun is the speed with which I can shoot myself in the balls."

I don't disagree, but some of the questions are just completely framed wrong, too. Like the one I got that was something like "The greatest advantage of a one party system is the lack of disagreement to impede progress." Well, yeah, it is. But that is a lot like saying that "The greatest advantage to permanently removing the safety on my handgun is the speed with which I can shoot myself in the balls."

I guess that is one way of looking at it.

Anyway, the question that got me bumped up was a question about homosexuality in society and whether or not i approve of its acceptance. I approve of the gay community but i answered no because to me it represented the problem of having too much political correctness (we must embrace all gay people).

Interesting. Would you agree or disagree with that last question you asked?

Interesting. Would you agree or disagree with that last question you asked?

Well, linguistically, it's a problem. The statement is largely true. But, I would ultimately disagree with my statement, based on shooting myself in the balls not being an advantageous outcome. So this may not be the best example I should have used.

The problem comes with something like the original question, where the outcome of cutting gridlock and politicking is actually something to work toward, but the proposed method of getting there is worse than the problem it would solve. The advantage of a one party system is a lot of shit gets done. The problem is that there are few checks to make sure it's the right shit getting done.

I suppose I should have phrased it more like "The best advantage of skipping QC inspections is shipping more product." It is, in fact, both it's best advantage, and it's massive drawback.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for tis but I found the video very profound.
There is a difference between left and right, but also between ideologues and thinkers.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for tis but I found the video very profound.
There is a difference between left and right, but also between ideologues and thinkers.

Ezra Klein & VOX LOL

How Vox Makes Us Stupid

A summary of any VOX article : Conservatives are intolerant racists who are misinformed by Fox News.

Ezra Klein & VOX LOL

I've been following the Sam Harris v Ezra Klein car crash from the start (well, at least since Harris' podcast with Charles Murray which kicked the whole thing off). Harris & Klein recently did a podcast together to discuss the situation and, although Harris claims it was awful, I actually enjoyed it. It's a long listen but both make some good points:
IDENTITY & HONESTY
A Conversation with Ezra Klein

The rest of that discussion is pretty interesting too. (As are most of Harris' podcasts, IMO. I confess I'm a regular listener. :cool:)

i7e7u6lsyl641.jpg

Top Left = Stalin
Top "{bleep} Centrist" = Hitler
Bottom Left = Somalia

Last edited:
i7e7u6lsyl641.jpg

Top Left = Stalin
Top "{bleep} Centrist" = Hitler
Bottom Left = Somalia
Actually the "Good Person" stops above the line. New Wokism excludes the bottom half since anyone who thinks it is OK to tolerate dissenting opinions is actually supporting morally depraved positions.

Back