Ready for the next Ice Age? Winter is coming.

... video of one polar bear dying, of either old age or disease...

Either of old age or disease? How did you come to that conclusion?
And if you're so sure, why can't you determine which?

I don't have time right now to investigate the veracity of the video but given your vague assertions about what it actually shows, combined with your track record around this subject, I would not be remotely surprised if it is indeed a starving bear.
However, I'm happy to look at whatever evidence you can provide and reconsider.

If your reaction to this video is anything other than hysterical laughter or eye rolling, you are a sheeple.

If not laughing hysterically at an animal in obvious distress makes me a sheeple, I'm OK with that.

The ultimate sheeple test right here. If your reaction to this video is anything other than hysterical laughter or eye rolling, you are a sheeple. Considering that there are 2.5 times more up votes than down votes, there are an awful lot of sheeple.

Didn't laugh. Maybe if the polar bear got hit in the nuts with a baseball it might have been funnier.
One thing I got say though is it's much easier to see a white bear without all that stupid white snow all over everywhere.

Either of old age or disease? How did you come to that conclusion?
And if you're so sure, why can't you determine which?

Most likely old age, but could be disease. Since the first animal walked the face of the earth, that animal has died from old age, disease, predator attack or accidental injury. As sad as it is, the simple fact is every living creature will die as they have always done.

I don't have time right now to investigate the veracity of the video but given your vague assertions about what it actually shows, combined with your track record around this subject, I would not be remotely surprised if it is indeed a starving bear.
However, I'm happy to look at whatever evidence you can provide and reconsider.

Why do I need to provide evidence that animals die naturally? If I need to explain that to someone, I'm wasting my breath. I'm not making some extraordinary claim here, unlike the Guardian. All they did was film an animal in distress and present it with dramatic music to make their claim it has something to do with Global Warming.

If not laughing hysterically at an animal in obvious distress makes me a sheeple, I'm OK with that.

Straw man argument. Animals die. Humans die. Every living creative to have ever lived on Earth has either died, or will die. I find dead birds in my back yard from time to time. What's funny is not that an animal is in distress, but that sheeple will believe that a video of a bear in distress put to dramatic music automatically means Global Warming is "teh reals". People who get upset if someone points out the obvious are the same people who would protest against hunters from behind their keyboard, while scarfing down one Big Mac after another.

It is amazing the amount of people who don't understand the slightest about animals and their life cycle.

. All they did was film an animal in distress and present it with dramatic music to make their claim it has something to do with Global Warming.

Perhaps they did. Perhaps they didn't.
On the other hand, all you've done is make unsubstantiated claims to that effect.
Your claim, your responsibility to provide the evidence.

Still don't have time to check for myself but given your flimsy retort I'm reasonably confident that you're talking shite here.

NPR: The Inconvenient Truth About Polar Bears
February 2, 20132:36 PM ET
There are far more polar bears alive today than there were 40 years ago. ... In 1973, there was a global hunting ban. So once hunting was dramatically reduced, the population exploded.

Global polar bear population larger than previous thought – almost 30,000
Posted on February 23, 2017
global-pb-population-size-graphic2_2017-feb-polarbearscience-corrected.jpg

Perhaps they did. Perhaps they didn't.
On the other hand, all you've done is make unsubstantiated claims to that effect.
Your claim, your responsibility to provide the evidence.

Still don't have time to check for myself but given your flimsy retort I'm reasonably confident that you're talking shite here.

You didn't watch the video.

Check.

You didn't watch the video.

I did.
I saw a polar bear, apparently in various degrees of distress, in a landscape devoid of snow and ice.
It could have been starving.
It could have been old.
It could have been diseased.
It could have been any permutation of those.
I don't know and have made no claims about knowing.

You, on the other hand, claim to know it wasn't starving and therefore something to be hysterically laughed at.
And so far your evidence for this amounts to nothing other than your own biases.

You, on the other hand, claim to know it wasn't starving and therefore something to be hysterically laughed at.

Why would I need to prove a point? I've only made statements that are biological and historical facts. Animals get old and die. Animals get sick and die. I am not the Guardian. I am not the one making an unsubstantiated claim. I am not the one who is supposedly a news outlet posting a video entitled "Starving polar bear video exposes climate change impact". Since you are the one defending such a ludicrous claim that this video EXPOSES CLIMATE CHANGE IMPACT, why don't YOU provide evidence that backs up the Guardian's claims that this video exposes climate change impact?

This is what happens when most people are completely removed from the natural world. They don't know where food comes from. They don't understand life cycles of animals. They don't know how cruel and unforgiving the natural world is and has always been. They believe every piece of Leftist/Globalist propaganda thrown at them. I wonder if these people have ever been outside of a major city, except for some tightly controlled tourist trap.

I am going against my better judgement and do some hand holding here for you Robert since the obvious is not coming easy for you.

What everybody got wrong about that viral video of a starving polar bear

The bear might have been injured or diseased

“The video shows what appears to be an old male in declining health, but clear clinical signs of starvation aren’t obvious (e.g. convulsions),” said longtime polar bear biologist Andrew Derocher in an email. In a series of tweets, Arctic wildlife biologist Jeff Higdon similarly speculated that the animal could be suffering from an aggressive form of bone cancer. “That bear is starving, but (in my opinion) it’s not starving because the ice suddenly disappeared and it could no longer hunt seals,” he wrote, noting that bears routinely survive long stretches of ice-free water during the summer. “It’s far more likely that it is starving due to health issues,” he added.

Most likely answer is the common sense answer. I've had plenty of family members get sick and die, none due to Global Warming, and unlike this bear, they had access to modern medicine.

Emaciated polar bears are not a new thing

A caribou or a moose is never allowed to get this skinny: Long before it gets close to starvation, a predator has usually turned them into a meal. But if a polar bear doesn’t drown or get shot, it’s most likely going to end up looking like the bear in the photo. “Polar bears, they don’t have natural enemies, so when they die, it’s of starvation,” Steven Amstrup, chief scientist at Polar Bears International, said in 2015. And, like many other bears, such as the grizzly, polar bears sometimes go through dramatic cycles of feast and famine. “Bears can respond to improved conditions: We’ve followed bears that went from bone racks to obese over a few months,” said Derocher. Niko Inuarak lives in Pond Inlet, NU and comes from a family of hunters and guides. He said his father Charlie was “not baffled to see a polar bear in that state” and had seen it often before. In fact, the elder Inuarak had once spotted “two polar bears together one very healthy and the other bear showing the same behaviour as in the video footage,” said Niko by email.

The fact this has to be pointed out to some people is astonishing. The real life natural world is absolutely nothing like the movies and what is shown in pop culture. The #1 comment I saw on the Youtube comment section was "STOP FILMING AND HELP THAT POOR BEAR". O.M.F.G. Yeah, a real quick way to win the Darwin Awards for the year. "You poor bear, here eat my sandwich. I'm woke and we're now besties". But for you I will be serious for a second. Don't try it Robert, seriously.

Activists captured these photos

These images aren’t the work of a scientist, an impartial documentarian or even a concerned bystander. They are part of a very calculated public relations exercise by SeaLegacy, an organization whose stated purpose is to capture photos that drive “powerful conservation wins.” The group dispatched five expeditions in 2017, all with the goal to “trigger public and policy support for sustainable ocean solutions.” Terry Audla is a past president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, an advocacy organization representing all Canadian Inuit. In a Sunday tweet, he called the photos a “stunt” that represented a “complete disservice to climate change science.” SeaLegacy’s social media posts about the bear also failed to mention that the images were taken in August, when ice cover naturally disappears from many polar bear habitats.

SeaLegacy itself doesn’t know why the bear is starving

In an Instagram post, SeaLegacy co-founder Cristina Mittermeier called the bear the “Face of Climate Change.” Nevertheless, she acknowledged “we don’t know what caused this animal to starve.” In an interview with the Washington Post, SeaLegacy’s Paul Nicklen was similarly reported as having “no definitive proof that the bear’s condition was connected” to climate change.”Why he was dying, I don’t know,” said Nicklen. As Higdon noted, SeaLegacy should have contacted a Nunavut conservation officer to euthanize the bear and submit its body for a necropsy to determine the definitive cause of its ill health. “The narrative of the story might have turned out quite different if they had,” he wrote.

You're welcome Robert. You fell for propaganda that is even admitted to be propaganda by the source. Maybe going forward you can be a little more skeptical.

I am not the one making an unsubstantiated claim.
I'm afraid you are:
video of one polar bear dying, of either old age or disease
Are you now claiming you didn't make that claim?
I initially asked you how you knew.
Of course, you didn't answer that and instead - surprise, surprise - tried to change the subject.

you are the one defending such a ludicrous claim that this video EXPOSES CLIMATE CHANGE IMPACT

False again and such petty, transparent lying does you no favours.
I've already said, more than once, that I don't know either way if the bear is *starving*.

Last edited:
I'm afraid you are:

Are you now claiming you didn't make that claim?
I initially asked you how you knew.
Of course, you didn't answer that and instead - surprise, surprise - tried to change the subject.

False again and such petty, transparent lying does you no favours.
I've already said, more than once, that I don't know either way if the bear is *starving*.

Wow you are either trolling or have no reading comprehension. At this point you are not only arguing with me, but actual bear experts and the people who posted the video who admitted it was propaganda.

Wow. Not wasting my time with you any more on this Robert. I'll have to assume you are trolling and ignore you.

9 Years Ago Al Gore Predicted What Would Happen Today, Let’s Just Say It’s Not Aging Well

Like, really wrong.

From The Daily Caller:

Scientists were shocked by what they found while poring over accounts by famous South Pole explorers from about a century ago — findings that could change the way experts think about Antarctica and global warming.

Researchers found that Antarctic sea ice extent has barely changed since Ernest Shackleton’s botched expedition to map out the South Pole in 1917.

Antarctic sea ice conditions in Shackleton’s day mirrored those of today, according to a new study using logs compiled by Shackleton, in addition to data from other noteworthy Antarctic forays during the early 20th Century.

But we saw unusual cold last year too and the cause is the same as it was then - cold Arctic air is not sitting over the pole the way it used to and spills down over the continents. Meanwhile the pole is much warmer than usual because all the cold is down here. As the article you posted went on to say, it's only really unusually cold in North America. Most other places it's unusually warm right now.

Most other places it's unusually warm right now.
Can confirm.

12 degrees Celsius around noon on New Years Eve and 10 degrees at 2:00 am early on New Year's Day were incredibly warm temperatures for Central Europe. Statistically, typical temperatures would be between +5 and -1 degrees Celsius on those days.

Didn't laugh. Maybe if the polar bear got hit in the nuts with a baseball it might have been funnier.
One thing I got say though is it's much easier to see a white bear without all that stupid white snow all over everywhere.

That must be why the video was taken in the summer

Canadian Zoo Brings Its Penguins Indoors Because It's Too Cold Out Even For Them Right Now

The zoo moved the animals indoors last week, after the temperature average hit -28°C, with a wind chill that could feel around -40°C.

"We just don't want to expose them to too much [cold]," zoo curator Malu Celli told The Globe and Mail. "To keep them safe, we decided to pick a limit to let them out."

They set that limit at -25°C to be on the safe side. The zoo currently keeps 51 penguins, some of which are very young. The zoo explained that in the wild the penguins are physiologically capable of withstanding colder temperatures, but as they aren't wild penguins it's being cautious with its flock.

Back