"Teh true leader" to indoctrinate your children?

redrumloa

Reaction score
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=33405

Failing miserably in his quest to convince America’s grown-ups of the virtues of government-run health care, President Obama has set his sights on a much more captive audience: the millions of children embarking on another year in America’s often dismal government-run schools.

Uh-oh...

Most disturbing is that the White House has collaborated with the Department of Education to distribute a study guide to accompany the speech. The guide is chalk full of writing assignments for students, including an instruction for students to write a letter to themselves about what they can do to help President Obama.

For kids in grades seven through twelve, the study guide suggests teachers prepare by excerpting quotes from Obama's speeches on education for their students to contemplate questions like “Why does President Obama want to speak with us today?” As well as “How will he inspire us?” And “How will he challenge us?”

Faced with intense protest of the heavy-handed propaganda-laden event, the White House has now backed off some of its earlier plans. But what worries many parents is its willingness to violate the parent-child relationship for political purposes.

The Obama administration’s latest stunt is another indication of its authoritarian impulse. Last month, the White House instructed citizens to inform it of “fishy” information about the president’s healthcare reform proposals (a brazen attempt to smother free speech for which the administration is now being sued). Last week, Obama appointed to a high position in the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) a man who has spoken out in admiration of Hugo Chavez and his assault on a free press in Venezuela.

Obama's arrogant forcing of himself onto impressionable children seems eerily similar to the forced worship that children in authoritarian regimes must offer up to their "dear leaders."

Over reaction? I think not.

In somewhat related news...

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...xas_gingrich_based_curriculum_go_national.php

The GOP-controlled State Board of Education is working on a new set of statewide textbook standards for, among other subjects, U.S. History Studies Since Reconstruction. And it turns out what the board decides may end up having implications far beyond the Lone Star State.

Approved textbooks, the standards say, must teach the Texan student to "identify significant conservative advocacy organizations and individuals, such as Newt Gingrich, Phyllis Schlafly, and the Moral Majority." No analogous liberal figures or groups are required, prompting protests from some legislators and committee members.

The standards on Nixon: "describe Richard M. Nixon's role in the normalization of relations with China and the policy of detente."

On Reagan: "describe Ronald Reagan's role in restoring national confidence, such as Reaganomics and Peace with Strength."

The Cold War section is rendered as "U.S. responses to Soviet aggression after World War II ... "

OMG! Not civics in schools. The horror. Perhaps the Bible is more appropriate.

IMO More proof the 14%ers lead the bat-shit crazy patrols.

faethor said:
Perhaps the Bible is more appropriate.

Indeed. The vast majority of children are already being indoctrinated and this has been going on for hundreds of years.

@Jim:

I get the impression that it isn't indoctrination that you disagree with but the *type* of indoctrination.

Robert said:
@Jim:

I get the impression that it isn't indoctrination that you disagree with but the *type* of indoctrination.

And what sort of indoctrination do you assume I do to my children? I am interested to hear, please do tell.

redrumloa said:
And what sort of indoctrination do you assume I do to my children? I am interested to hear, please do tell.
IMO everyone indoctrinates their children. And it's the parent right to do so... Indoctrinate: To instruct in a body of doctrine or principles. I certainly instruct my children in my principles. They for example know it's bad to kill, bad to steall, and bad to judge people by the colour of the skin. They are instructed that man is the measure of their actions. As such they are indoctrinated that their word is their bond.

redrumloa said:
Robert said:
@Jim:

Where did I say *you* indoctrinate your children? I am interested to hear, please do tell.

:roll:

My point stands, unless you can show me otherwise.

redrumloa said:

I don't suppose you tried to get them to believe in a 2000 year old super hero who, if you communicate telepathically with, can save you after you die. That would be wacky, but I know some people who would do this to their kids.

faethor said:
IMO everyone indoctrinates their children. And it's the parent right to do so... Indoctrinate: To instruct in a body of doctrine or principles. I certainly instruct my children in my principles. They for example know it's bad to kill, bad to steall, and bad to judge people by the colour of the skin. They are instructed that man is the measure of their actions. As such they are indoctrinated that their word is their bond.

That is usually called "raising" your children. That is a parent's duty, not the government's.

Robert said:
Where did I say *you* indoctrinate your children? I am interested to hear, please do tell.

Your post clearly said and I quote:

So, what sort of indoctrination do I agree with :?:

FluffyMcDeath said:
I don't suppose you tried to get them to believe in a 2000 year old super hero who, if you communicate telepathically with, can save you after you die. That would be wacky, but I know some people who would do this to their kids.

Hate to burst your bubble, but my kids aren't even baptized nor do they attend church. Sometimes making assumptions is not the best thing to do.

redrumloa said:
Robert said:

Your post clearly said and I quote:

So, what sort of indoctrination do I agree with :?:

I'm glad you quoted that part.
I have no way of knowing for certain what type you agree with, when you've only stated the type you disagree with? (Admittedly the somewhat obvious "Obama type".)
My point is that I doubt you are against all indoctrination, only the type. You appear to be claiming otherwise.
Can I ask you, do you agree with letting Children believe there's a tooth fairy or a santa claus? Both are common *types* of indoctrination. Even if you don't agree with those two, it doesn't follow that you are against all types of indoctrination.

So, unless you can state unequivocably that you are against indoctrination itself, my point still stands.

redrumloa said:
faethor said:

That is usually called "raising" your children. That is a parent's duty, not the government's.
I'd agree that indoctrinating your principles within your child is what is more commonly referred to as raising.

As for the government's duty. Idealized we are a nation of, by, and for the people. Like it or not there is a set of values which we as a nation subscribe. (Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Blackmail is wrong.The state of men is to be free.) There is a set of laws which we need to abide to. The government should be educating people with the laws and functioning of the system. Without an educated public we will have poor to no discourse and our democracy, even in it's limited form, will fail.

I realize people hate Obama. Heck I hated Bush. There are clearly many worse things than having the leader of the USA, if not the free world, challenge our children to improve their education and acheive. IMO it will be more informative and worthwhile than the day I spent having to watch the Reagan shooting.

Well though on the Reagan shooting there was a lesson to be learned. The VP isn't always in charge. It appeared to be the Sec. of State. Who knew?! :lol:

Robert said:
unless you can state unequivocably that you are against indoctrination itself
If someone is against indoctrination we must ask who is raising their children. Clearly not them.

As the song says - "Choosing not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Here's the fearful speech that makes us run, hide and lock up our children. LINK

redrumloa said:
FluffyMcDeath said:

Hate to burst your bubble
Not at all.
[...] but my kids aren't even baptized nor do they attend church. Sometimes making assumptions is not the best thing to do.
That's why I used heavily hedged language. I never said you did. :D

faethor said:
Here's the fearful speech that makes us run, hide and lock up our children. LINK
yeah, really :roll:

what a message!

stay in school, learn all you can, work hard, Be somebody!

sounds like the "indoctrination" my family gave me in my childhood.

shessh, some people are {bleep} retarded

faethor said:

The speech is not the main problem. You miss the point entirely.

-edit-

Hmm, here is a tidbit to get the libs angry too.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.

cecilia said:
faethor said:
yeah, really :roll:

what a message!

stay in school, learn all you can, work hard, Be somebody!

sounds like the "indoctrination" my family gave me in my childhood.

shessh, some people are {bleep} retarded

Oh course YOU missed the point entirely, that is a given.

Back