The Dead Celeb thread, 2020 edition

redrumloa

Reaction score
2020 did not take long to give a gut kick :(

Neil Peart, Rush Drummer Who Set a New Standard for Rock Virtuosity, Dead at 67
Hall of Fame drummer and lyricist succumbs to brain cancer

neil-peart-obit.jpg

Neil Peart, the virtuoso drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California, at age 67, according to Elliot Mintz, a family spokesperson. The cause was brain cancer, which Peart had been quietly battling for three-and-a-half years. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

2020 did not take long to give a gut kick :(

Neil Peart, Rush Drummer Who Set a New Standard for Rock Virtuosity, Dead at 67
Hall of Fame drummer and lyricist succumbs to brain cancer

neil-peart-obit.jpg

Neil Peart, the virtuoso drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California, at age 67, according to Elliot Mintz, a family spokesperson. The cause was brain cancer, which Peart had been quietly battling for three-and-a-half years. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

That video though. So early 80s and that's just what my high school looked like too and all the cool kids were into Rush

That video though. So early 80s and that's just what my high school looked like too and all the cool kids were into Rush

The cool kids at your school were into Rush? You had some good cool kids! Rush seemed to largely speak to the disaffected, the "nerds".

Subdivisions is one of my personal favorites, and I do love the dated feel of the video. Most people would probably pick their most mainstream song "Tom Sawyer", which is good, or their breakout album 2112, which both saved their career and launched them into the mainstream.

Man, that's a really shitty start to 2020. Bummer. I always liked Rush. Got to see them in concert a few times.

Subdivisions was always a favorite in my group, too. You could hear it playing on the stereo in the background of the video when my buddy comes over to show me his new truck, and he turns in too sharp and cuts a tire by clipping the front of my old beater. We snuck that video into a lot of places... Filmed on one of those late 80's 20 lbs "Camcorders." Borrowed (without knowledge) from my parents. :D

I agree with Red that we shared more with the disaffected nerds than the cool kids, though. Cool enough we were basically left alone. Which suited us fine.

Man, that's a really shitty start to 2020. Bummer. I always liked Rush. Got to see them in concert a few times.

Subdivisions was always a favorite in my group, too. You could hear it playing on the stereo in the background of the video when my buddy comes over to show me his new truck, and he turns in too sharp and cuts a tire by clipping the front of my old beater. We snuck that video into a lot of places... Filmed on one of those late 80's 20 lbs "Camcorders." Borrowed (without knowledge) from my parents. :D

I agree with Red that we shared more with the disaffected nerds than the cool kids, though. Cool enough we were basically left alone. Which suited us fine.
Perhaps my memory is fuzzy - but then again I was a chemistry and computer nerd recently arrived in a land that didn't have chemistry sets ... or computers except one guy with an Apple II and another one with a TRS-80. I ended up being DND adjacent but without actual adventuring - but there were definitely kids cooler than us that were into Rush. :)
Also, and this might have had something to do with it, did I mention I went to high school in Canada!

The real Rocky..

ROCKY 'SOULMAN' JOHNSONTHE ROCK'S DAD ...WWE SUPERSTAR DEAD AT 75

Rocky Johnson, a WWE pioneer and father of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, has died according to the WWE.

Johnson, who was living in the Tampa Bay area, passed away Wednesday. Rocky "Soulman" Johnson -- started out in the National Wrestling Alliance in the 1960s, but got widespread notoriety when he joined the WWE in the 80s. He and Tony Atlas became the league's first African-American tag team champions as The Soul Patrol.

rocky-johnson.jpg

Ray was always a father figure to the other members of the band. When Cliff died, Ray was the always involved with the band as a placeholder for his late son. At any major event for Metallica, Ray would be there to represent Cliff. RIP.

I wasn't the hugest Monty Python fan at the time, probably due to my age. What I've seen as an adult has been pretty damn good. RIP.

Terry Jones: Monty Python stars pay tribute to comedy great

The Welsh actor and writer played a variety of characters in the iconic comedy group's Flying Circus TV series, and directed several of their films.

He died on Tuesday, four years after contracting a rare form of dementia known as FTD.

David Walliams and Simon Pegg were among other comedians who remembered him.

Fellow Python star Sir Michael Palin described Jones as "one of the funniest writer-performers of his generation".

In a tweet, John Cleese said he was "a man of so many talents and such endless enthusiasm".

Eric Idle, another member of the highly influential comedy troupe, recalled the "many laughs [and] moments of total hilarity" they shared.

"It's too sad if you knew him, but if you didn't you will always smile at the many wonderfully funny moments he gave us," he went on.

Former DEATH And CYNIC Drummer SEAN REINERT Dead At 48

Sean Reinert, longtime drummer for progressive/technical metal pioneers CYNIC, has died. He was apparently found unresponsive at his California home Friday night (January 24). No cause of death has yet been revealed.

Reinert was a founding member of CYNIC, along with guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal, and he remained in the group until September 2015.

In 1991, Reinert and Masvidal joined the legendary Florida band DEATH to record the "Human" album. After touring with DEATH, they returned to CYNIC.

JA'NET DUBOIS 'GOOD TIMES' STAR DEAD AT 74

Ja'net Dubois -- one of the main characters on "Good Times" -- was found dead Tuesday ... TMZ has learned.

Ja'net played the Evans family's sassy neighbor Willona Woods on the classic '70s TV series. Her family tells us ... Ja'net died unexpectedly in her sleep overnight at her home in Glendale, CA.

It's unclear who discovered her body Tuesday morning. We're told Ja'net hadn't complained of any specific ailments recently, and appeared to be in good health to those around her. She even attended a fan event in Hollywood a couple weeks ago.

Ja'net might be most famous for "Good Times," but she also composed and sang the theme song, "Movin' On Up," for "The Jeffersons" -- so, she should also be remembered for her voice.

She appeared in tons of movies over the years, including "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka", "Tropic Thunder" and "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle."

Ja'net's acting career began on Broadway, where she was cast in a number of plays including "Golden Boy" with Sammy Davis Jr. and Louis Gossett Jr. -- plus "A Raisin In The Sun."

She also won two Emmy awards for her voice-over work on "The PJs."

Ja'net is survived by her 3 children.

She was 74. RIP

dff8f579b2674a97aee19e6db449afa9_md.jpg

Longtime WWE ring announcer Howard Finkel dies at 69

WWE Hall of Famer Howard Finkel has died at the age of 69.

The iconic ring announcer made his debut for the WWWF in 1977 and became its first full-time ring announcer in 1979. When the WWF was established in 1980, Finkel was its first -- and longest-serving -- employee.

His voice was heard time and time again on WWE broadcasts and pay-per-views until the 2000s -- punctuating title changes with his signature "and nnnnnnnew ..."

RIP Don Shula, the greatest head coach of all time.
:(:(:(

We’ll never see the likes of Don Shula again

Coaching burnout, he was asked when then-Philadelphia coach Dick Vermeil quit in 1983, citing that cause?

“What’s that?” he said.

Did he ever have ulcers, he was asked when a player had them.

“I don’t get ulcers — I give them,’’ he said.

As the years went on, and the seasons drifted further behind him, he let up on that somewhat. In his late-70s, he’d greet you at his home with a hobbled step and say, “Don’t time me in the 40.”

Back